Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Typing on iPad Mini

Typing on iPad Mini
hadocon
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2012, 06:36 AM

Hey guys,

I use my iPad a lot and am actually quite good at typing on it (in landscape mode). I can touch type really fast and I was worried that the new iPadMini would be too small to type on. I made this accurate size comparison and tested it on my screen. Looks like I'll be able to type on the Mini!

6355/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

I'm interested to know if you think you will be able to type quickly on the new smaller keyboard!
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2012, 08:47 AM

I thumb type on a tablet so midsize is actually much easier for typing than a full size is.

-Allen

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2012, 11:19 AM

I wonder if Apple will adopt the SwiftKey Tablet-style split keyboard in landscape mode. It makes thumb typing soooo much easier...
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

hadocon  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2012, 12:21 PM

I believe this is already a part of iOS, no? Regardless it's not a big issue for me as I can type much faster using all fingers on both hands... Like on a real typist.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

P
Oct 29, 2012, 03:56 AM

Yes, the split keyboard has been in there since the launch of the iPad. Just put two fingers on the keyboard and pull apart to split it.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

andi*pandi
Oct 29, 2012, 05:56 AM

Huh. Never knew that.

Weird at first but I could get used to it. It seems how I've been thumb typing with the full keyboard, my right hand handles more of the letters on the left than it should.

P
Oct 29, 2012, 06:16 AM

With the split keyboard, you actually have one more column on each side than what is drawn on the display. Try it out, it works quite well.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2012, 11:23 AM

Yeah I just wish I was a really skilled classic touch typist.

hadocon  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2012, 02:10 PM

I'm a real typist - that's why I was curious to see if I could touch-type on the smaller keyboard. I've got small hands... Know that that means?... Small gloves!

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2012, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Yes, the split keyboard has been in there since the launch of the iPad. Just put two fingers on the keyboard and pull apart to split it.
Actually it came with iOS 5. http://www.tuaw.com/2011/10/12/ios-5-features-split-keyboard-for-ipad/

saysaywatson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2012, 08:30 AM

I find it easier to type on it portrait - iPhone style

anvikapur
Banned
Nov 15, 2012, 01:11 AM

yes i can easily type on any kind of keyboard even if it is smaller than this

Forum Links
Forum Rules