Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Domain name help

Domain name help
dampeoples
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2006, 10:11 PM

Due to a long story, I didn't have control over my personal domain (www.sterlingpeoples.com), and I was unable to get it back, now it's parked by godaddy, and is owned by an outfit called Domains By Proxy. They seem to be in the business of keeping registrant info a secret, since it's readily available to anyone.
Anyone know what I can do, except call it something else? It was a photography site, and changing it to .net would be a terrible pain I believe. It got tons of traffic, and I just like to share my pics.
Thanks,

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2006, 11:44 PM

I don't know if they are one, but I do hear about such unscrupulous practices.

Do you still have acct for it (I see you're listed at WhoIs as the admin contact)?� Can you re-open one?� ...get control of the DNS servers and upload site to where you'd like it hosted?� ...or at least be able to upload file so that refs to that domain RE-DIRECT to your new domain name (___.net or whatever).� With a redirect it wouldn't matter if a lot of people got to your site via the old address while you started publicizing the new.

Have you tried a voice-to-voice with SALES at that company to ask them what solutions THEY offer (and at what price) to regaining control?
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2006, 11:47 PM

BTW ... try looking them up at wikipedia (�http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domains_by_Proxy ).

They're owned by GoDaddy's CEO.� I have queazy feelings about GoDaddy's practices.� And I think "Domains by Proxy" is a crude (and successful) attempt to aggravate (and capitalize on) unnecessary fears. [� "WhoIs" info as a source of spam? ha!� a miniscule one if at all ]

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2006, 11:48 PM

Also, since they're owned-ish by GoDaddy, maybe GD would fess up to some strings you could pull.

dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2006, 04:09 AM

It was originally set up for me by register cheaper, and I never had access to the account, all my files are still in place on my server. I've sent an email to GoDaddy, guess I'll see what they say, looks like Register Cheaper is owned by Godaddy (same interface), so hopefully!

Forum Links
Forum Rules