Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Replacement fan for G4 AGP graphics

Replacement fan for G4 AGP graphics
stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2003, 05:08 PM

With all this talk of fan noise... my sawtooth (agp grapics) is great - not abnormally loud or anything, but if I could swap out the fan for something nicer and make it abnormally quiet, that would be nice.

Anyone here done this, and possibly have a parts supplier to recommend? I think they are just standard size fans, but correct me if I am wrong!

thanks!

-stuffedm

Riddler
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2003, 06:46 AM

I replaced th main case fand and PSU fan in my G4 DA about two weeks ago. I used two Panaflo fans as they are accepted as the best and quietest:

120mm Case Fan
FBA12G12M1A

80mm PSU Fan
FBA08A12L1A

Whilst I replaced the fans I also snipped out the metal fan guard from the PSU.

Overall the PSU is much quieter, however is case fan is still quite loud. I've been told you can run the 120mm at 7v for less noise, but there is a quieter 120mm in the Panaflo range (FBA12G12L1A) but I was not able to fine it in the UK.

The case fan was easy to change, the PSU was a bit tricky, make sure you leave the PSU unplugged for a while before opening it, there's some hefty capacitors in there which I'm sure could give a nasty shock!
Riddler

PowerBook G4 1.5GHz + MacPro 2.66 1900XT

Forum Links
Forum Rules