Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15" AlBook backpack for *girl*

15" AlBook backpack for *girl*
facingamoment
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2003, 01:19 AM

Yes, I know, I'm sorry--everyone has posted their opinion on a great laptop bag, so this probably won't gain a new switcher many friends here, but I need help . . .

Here's the deal--I'm a girl, and not that tall (under 5'5"), so most laptop packs dwarf me, or, at the very least, I look like I'm going hiking . . .

I have a 15" AlBook, and I'll mainly use the backpack for toting between home, college, and work. No need for books, etc.; want to keep it as light as possible, and generally carry books or stash in locker. I'll just use it to carry the computer, power adapter, iPod, cell phone, and other random items (sunglasses, money, keys).

I prefer a backpack, as carrying a one-strap bag really does my shoulder in. Good-looking, stylish, urban is nice, too--nice to look good on campus Water-resistance could be handy cause rain is somewhat common, and I hardly ever carry an umbrella, but it'd really just be an extra bonus.

To recap: looking for a small, good-looking, two-strap pack for a 15" AlBook.

tia for any help!!! (need one asap)
fACingaMoment

jetta_gt
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2003, 01:33 AM

I recommend what I do, get a really good sleeve, like from sfbags.com, then you can use whatever bag you want. i don't like specially designed computer backpacks because they are usually overpriced and they usually look way too high tech for my tastes.

So, get a good sleeve and any sturdy backpack, I use a north face daypack, but you sound like you want something a little smaller, so just shop around.

Good luck and welcome to the light.

fuddman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2003, 01:48 AM

check this bag out... single strap, i own the backpack and its great... my laptop feels real safe.

http://www.goincase.com/DetailLaptopPackSling.php

slider
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2003, 08:23 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fuddman:
check this bag out... single strap, i own the backpack and its great... my laptop feels real safe.

http://www.goincase.com/DetailLaptopPackSling.php
[/QUOTE

Very nice bag.

PBG4 User
Senior User
Oct 14, 2003, 08:32 AM

Check out the "city" series of products at www.dropmfg.com

Check out the "tech_head" model for a backpack setup. It has a built-in rain hood for protection from the elements.

crispinwilliams
Oct 14, 2003, 09:22 AM

Seems like the smart alex by Tom Bihn is designed with you in mind. Check them out at http://www.tombihn.com/ Their sleeve case - brain cell - is the best sleeve around.
If you are prepared to move away from the backpack - how about the crippy duck from www.crumplerbags.com (use netscape on their site)

ngrundy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2003, 10:31 AM

I'd highly recomend Crumpler www.crumpler.com.au but I don't know if they have any backpacks, still worth the look thought! I have one of their sleeves that I put into my backpack.
1Ghz Powerbook
40gb/1x512mb/combo/T68i
FireRAID 1 Host Independant Hotswap RAID 1 (80gb)

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2003, 11:20 AM

Check out Casauri. Again, don't think they offer backpacks, but they have some pretty stylish bags. I believe they will even work with you on a custom bag too.

-b

hazelnutcoffeeg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2003, 12:49 PM

go to that link up top that is stickyed. willow designs has cool bags for girls. they even show it on a 5ft model!
i ordered AcmeMade designer slim for me.

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2003, 12:58 PM

I like sfbags, especially for thier sleeves.

But I do vaugley remember a place that had so really cool looking backpackss for laptops. They also had a really small one that was perfect for a purese type bag
Force

Anemia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2003, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by jetta_gt:
I recommend what I do, get a really good sleeve, like from sfbags.com, then you can use whatever bag you want. i don't like specially designed computer backpacks because they are usually overpriced and they usually look way too high tech for my tastes.

So, get a good sleeve and any sturdy backpack, I use a north face daypack, but you sound like you want something a little smaller, so just shop around.

Good luck and welcome to the light.
i've got a northface day pack that I carry my powerbook in as well, i just went ahead and made my own sleeve out of cordura and fleece to match the backpack.

PowerMatt
Senior User
Oct 15, 2003, 01:18 AM

http://timbuk2.com/products/detour.html

This looks like a realitively small offering from Timbuk2. My brother has the messenger version of their laptop bags; they are very nice. They don't stand out like a laptop bag so theft is less likely. It is waterproof (somewhat), has ample storage for a textbook or notebook, etc. Hope this helps.
It I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2003, 07:39 AM

The Incase Sling up top does look nice, but since she's looking for something two straps, it's cousin might fit the bill:
http://www.goincase.com/DetailLaptopPackSlim.php

Not sure if it's waterproof though. I've owned Timbuk2's messenger bags and those can take a beating in the rain if you get the upgraded liner. Ridden in the rain with it several times and the stuff inside stays nice and dry so the Timbuk2 Detour would fit the bill as a backpack, but looks a bit funny in my opinion.
http://timbuk2.com/products/detour.html
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

Forum Links
Forum Rules