Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > new iBooks G4, cancel my PB order/wait G5?

new iBooks G4, cancel my PB order/wait G5?
jgcan
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2003, 09:51 AM

With the new iBooks G4, will we see a PB G5 very soon? I just ordered a PB (switcher) and my order status is still "open". For you "veteran Mac users", is it frequent to see same gen chips on iBooks and PB and for how long? I know it is not an easy question but if I was to see new PB G5 in december (or even in january 2004) it will hurt after paying that much.

On the other hand, would it make that much of a difference in speed to have, let's say a G5 1.6 compared to a G4 1.33 (my order) in everyday use (I am not talking about rendering and so on ...), I mean in the feel, impression of speed (OS X, GUI, App start ...).

Thanks.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2003, 09:57 AM

I would say that there will not be a G5 Powerbook any time soon...

Personally I think you'd be crazy to think otherwise...

I mean, the current Alu's haven't even reached some of Europe yet!!

I would also be plain stunned to see them make a January debut...

However there has always been the G3/G4 chip differentiation between the iBooks and Powerbooks so what do I know...

Although it took 12+ months to see a G4 Powerbook after the G4 Powermac introduction.

Meh, I guess that in the end, you make your money and you take your choice...

Peace,

Marc

desillusion.com
Oct 22, 2003, 10:06 AM

apple ist seriously starting to piss me off!!

sorry, i've been a customer and fan of apple-products since the early macintosh-days, but now i really think they should make up their minds!!

i ordered a 12" powerbook shortly after the keynote at cancom (europes largest apple-retailer) and still DO NOT even have a guesstimated shipping date!! i've been waiting for over a month now, and still i have no clue when i'll finally get my hands on this thing.. i ordered it via prepayment, so 2000� are gone for over a month now.. the problem is at apple, because hardly anybody in germany got their 12" yet, no matter where you ordered..

and now what does apple do about it? they announce new ibooks, instead of getting their a*** to work on these ridiculous delivery times..

damn, i AM pissed off..
sorry, had to say that..
finally here and absolutely flawless:
powerbook 12" 1ghz rev b combo 768 mb ram bt-mouse

Cop Rock
Oct 22, 2003, 10:07 AM

I doubt we'll see the PowerBook G5 anytime soon. The iBook G4 is a bit surprising since there were plenty of rumors about 1GHz plus G3 iBooks, but Apple has already put G4s in laptops before. They're also keeping the iBook speed below the PowerBook speed (iBook 800MHz-1GHz, PowerBook 1GHz-1.33GHz).

If Apple could put a G5 in a PowerBook right now I'm sure they would. I just don't think it'll happen for a while.

jgcan  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2003, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by jgcan:
On the other hand, would it make that much of a difference in speed to have, let's say a G5 1.6 compared to a G4 1.33 (my order) in everyday use (I am not talking about rendering and so on ...), I mean in the feel, impression of speed (OS X, GUI, App start ...).
Thanks guys, does someone have an idea about the second part of my question (up here)?

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2003, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by desillusion.com:
apple ist seriously starting to piss me off!!

sorry, i've been a customer and fan of apple-products since the early macintosh-days, but now i really think they should make up their minds!!

i ordered a 12" powerbook shortly after the keynote at cancom (europes largest apple-retailer) and still DO NOT even have a guesstimated shipping date!! i've been waiting for over a month now, and still i have no clue when i'll finally get my hands on this thing.. i ordered it via prepayment, so 2000� are gone for over a month now.. the problem is at apple, because hardly anybody in germany got their 12" yet, no matter where you ordered..

and now what does apple do about it? they announce new ibooks, instead of getting their a*** to work on these ridiculous delivery times..

damn, i AM pissed off..
sorry, had to say that..
Whilst I am sorry for your predicament... you really didn't have to prepay! That is a choice you made.

If you had ordered through Apple they would not have charged you. Had you gone to another reseller, (although Cancom in the UK does this also) it is also probable that they wouldn't have made a charge for having a machine on order...

Just because some machines haven't shipped, you can't expect Apple to stop releasing new machines... they are in business!

As you have received no goods, what is stopping you canceling your 12" PB and reordering a different model??

I really can't see what Apple have done wrong except not get enough machines into the channel... something they may, or may not, have 100% control of as they depend on suppliers...

Peace,

Marc

desillusion.com
Oct 22, 2003, 10:29 AM

maybe i'm a little too angry to be objective..

of course they shouldn't stop developing new machines, but they should stop treating european customers like 2nd class citizens! they have been doing this for a while now, and I'm getting more and more dissatisfied about it..

how come they're happily delivering the 12" within 3-5 days in the US, but in Europe and especially Germany it's over a month without even an est. shipping date?

apple is in business, of course! but doing business also means treating customers in a decent way. i think apple needs a little extra lessons there..

edit: had i know it would take them over a month to deliver machines that were supposed to be "available today" i wouldn't have prepaid it. and no, i won't cancel my order, because i still believe powerbooks are way better than the ibooks.
finally here and absolutely flawless:
powerbook 12" 1ghz rev b combo 768 mb ram bt-mouse

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 10:37 AM

The G4 ibook means a G5 Powerbook is months away i'm guessing!

wow..did this not come out of the blue!!!!!!

YEAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm still on a 500 mhz g3 ibook which I use as my portable with my main G4 1.42 dual.

This definately kills my own 12" powerbook order I was considering... I'm for sure waiting now.

YEAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having said that.. my brother needs a desktop replacement right now and I'm working with him getting the present model 17" g4 Powerbook. The G4 chip powerbooks are awesome..but the G5's will be incredible!

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2003, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by desillusion.com:
maybe i'm a little too angry to be objective..

of course they shouldn't stop developing new machines, but they should stop treating european customers like 2nd class citizens! they have been doing this for a while now, and I'm getting more and more dissatisfied about it..

how come they're happily delivering the 12" within 3-5 days in the US, but in Europe and especially Germany it's over a month without even an est. shipping date?

apple is in business, of course! but doing business also means treating customers in a decent way. i think apple needs a little extra lessons there..

edit: had i know it would take them over a month to deliver machines that were supposed to be "available today" i wouldn't have prepaid it. and no, i won't cancel my order, because i still believe powerbooks are way better than the ibooks.
I 100% agree with you about how we get treated in the EU...

I want a 15" PB to replace my Ti, but I am being quoted mid to end of November at the earliest! Just not good enough.

(I was also caught out this way on the dual USB iBook launch a few years back, when a reseller had my money for months without producing a machine... These days no one gets my cash without having goods in stock, or at MAX a few days away.)

What also gets me is that we don't have iTMS, iPhoto Prints, full Sherlock Functionality, have to wait ages and ages for products, AND we pay WAY more!! Apple does indeed need to sort itself out in Europe...

Fingers crossed the iBook comes through soon!

Peace,

Marc

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 10:40 AM

Oh...

Final Cut Pro 4 would not work with a G3 correct? This may be part of the reason the G3 was given the final boot by Apple?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2003, 11:16 AM

Well, I didn't expect the G4 iBook until 2004, so I was wrong on that, but I still don't expect the G5 PowerBook until well into 2004.

ph0ust
Senior User
Oct 22, 2003, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by NYCFarmboy:
The G4 ibook means a G5 Powerbook is months away i'm guessing!

wow..did this not come out of the blue!!!!!!

YEAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i agree. there is no way apple is going to have the ibook and pb on essentially the same architecture. this would be a major departure from their marketing strategy and undoubtedly canibalize sales of the pb. g5 pb will be announced by january imo.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2003, 01:10 PM

The iBook (G3) was introduced in September 1999.
The Powerbook G4 was introduced in January 2001.
Time with same chip: 16 months.

The iMac (G4) was introduced in January 2002.
The Powermac G5 was introduced in June 2003 (shipping September).
Time with same chip: 18 months.

The iBook G4 was introduced in October 2003.
When will the Powerbook G5 be introduced?

I don't know, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

jgcan  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2003, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by Mithras:
The iBook (G3) was introduced in September 1999.
The Powerbook G4 was introduced in January 2001.
Time with same chip: 16 months.

The iMac (G4) was introduced in January 2002.
The Powermac G5 was introduced in June 2003 (shipping September).
Time with same chip: 18 months.

The iBook G4 was introduced in October 2003.
When will the Powerbook G5 be introduced?

I don't know, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.
That's what I wanted to know, thanks Mithras. I keep my order on my PB 17 1.33 Still no one to tell me about impression of speed (how snappy) between G5 1.6 and G4 1.33?

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2003, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by jgcan:
With the new iBooks G4, will we see a PB G5 very soon? I just ordered a PB (switcher) and my order status is still "open". For you "veteran Mac users", is it frequent to see same gen chips on iBooks and PB and for how long? I know it is not an easy question but if I was to see new PB G5 in december (or even in january 2004) it will hurt after paying that much.

Thanks.
Good God.

There's not going to be a G5 PB anytime soon.

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2003, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by ph0ust:
i agree. there is no way apple is going to have the ibook and pb on essentially the same architecture. this would be a major departure from their marketing strategy and undoubtedly canibalize sales of the pb. g5 pb will be announced by january imo.
No chance. None at all.

Apple isn't cannibalizing anything. There are still SIGNIFICANT differences between the iBook and PB. The only thing Apple did was ditch a slow, outdated, uncompetitive processor in its consumer line.

Esquare
Oct 22, 2003, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by ph0ust:
g5 pb will be announced by january imo.
Sigh...
http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/topic/39023-1.html

popstand
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2003, 01:49 PM

Have to agree with poisontooth,
I doubt these new iBooks reach the level of performance of the new Albooks, but we'll have to wait and see the benchmarks. It's premature to say that they are comparable based on a few numbers on Apple's website. As for a G5 powerbook in January, that is just a pipe dream. Many seem to be making that prediction based solely on Apple's marketing strategies and wishful thinking while ignoring the tricky technical obstacles that must be overcome before the release of a G5 laptop (heat/power consumption). Odds are we'll see a bus speed increase in the PB line to widen the iBook performance gap and the usual superior graphics output until a G5 laptop arrives.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 02:13 PM

I would just buy it now, because I also don't think the G5 Powerbooks will be out anytime soon. I would say at the least, not until next March. So, buy it now, than when the G5 Powerbooks comes out next year, just sell your old Mac on eBay, that's what I am planning on doing.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

bobette
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by NYCFarmboy:

This definately kills my own 12" powerbook order I was considering... I'm for sure waiting now.

YEAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're living in a dreamworld Neo. One advice: don't hold your breath.

It took them soooo long to come out with the 15 incher Albook... Ya think thy got the G5 just hanging around somewhere?

Albook's already a hot powerhog. Imagine with a G5 under the hood, you'll probably be able to fry an egg on top for about 3 minutes! Till the power runs out.

Still too many issues to be resolved. And it takes tiiiime. Like the tower, they'll have to rethink the whole architecture. Doesn't happen overnight ya know. Ya just don't switch chips like you'd switch a game cartridge on a Playstation.

And for those thinking the iBook is too close for comfort to the AlBook... Read the specs!!! There are HUGE differences, especially for pro users.

Probably won't make a big difference for word processing or web surfing or trailer collecting I admit. But for video editing, photoshop or music (etc, etc) the difference is, again, humongous.
this lounge is a poor substitute to the bbq.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2003, 03:37 PM

I am surprised that Apple chose to go with a G4 instead of the 1+GHz G3 that IBM is reportedly preparing. Perhaps Motorola is giving Apple really good deals on G4 processors.

I would have bet money that there wouldn't be a G4 iBook until the PowerBook line was running at 1.4+GHz across the board.

Forum Links
Forum Rules