Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Rev.A 17" troubles... please help!

Rev.A 17" troubles... please help!
mRacic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2003, 09:02 PM

I'm having lots of problems with my 7-months old Rev.A 17" 1 GHz:

1. One of the battery latches broke just two weeks after I bought the computer! One day I got it out of my carrying bag when I got back from college and the battery was sticking out on one corner for 1-2 mm, right by the battery latch. When I gently tried to push it back, I couldn't do it, so I released the other battery latch also to completely remove the battery. Then I saw on one of the plastic latches those two little sticks (which actually hold the battery in place) are bent and are going to tear off if I touched them. Eventually, there was nothing more that I can do but to try to put the battery back very, very gently... but that just made the tiny plastic break so even today battery sticks out! The machine is working fine, though, even with that defect, I'm just always worried that the other latch will break...
Of course, I've phoned the official repair service, but they said that the machine had to be sent to The Netherlands as the European Apple Service Center is located there and that there is no way they can repair the damage because they don't have the spare parts! It's only just that one small plastic battery latch that has to be replaced which can't cost more than $1 or 1 EUR, but if it isn't covered by warranty (which I won't know until the computer reaches Apple Service on the other end of the continent and they assess it) I'd have to pay 600 EUR + shipping costs!!

2. 2 of the 4 plastic "legs" are lost somewhere (rear ones) - I don't remember when they fell off or how and I'm a person that doesn't carry the PB very often - most of the time it's placed on my desk and that's it (I work at home)... I've read on forums that Apple would just send the repair kit for those legs which is good news for me, I just hope that it doesn't make any difference because I'm in Europe!

3. Recently I've noticed that the whole body of the PowerBook is slightly warped which isn't noticeable when I look at it, but when I compare it with the desk it rests on, two opposite corners are slightly lifted up from the desktop. When I close the screen lid, it's clearly visible that the spacing between the lid and computer body isn't the same all round: front side of the lid (where the release button is located) is tight as it should be (around 1 mm) while on both sides the warp goes from completely tight to 2-3 mm gap (computer body is warped in an arc-shape). It's not a big trouble right now, but I wonder if that may cause more trouble later on?

4. Lastly, audio card broke a few days ago - one morning when I opened the screen to wake the computer from sleep mode, the right speaker wouldn't play anything (I usually listen to music through iTunes)! At first I thought it was the speaker that kicked the bucket, but when I connected the headphones the same thing appeared (no sound on the right channel) so the failure is with the audio card! This is definitely covered by warranty!

What are the safest steps for me to take? I live in Croatia where Apple's computers are extremely rare and there isn't official Apple Store or repair service anywhere nearby (just the Apple resellers and one semi-official service depot which doesn't even have spare parts for repairs) - the salesgirl that works in one of those stores told me that one of their customers had to send his iBook for repair and that he had waited for 5 weeks to get it back! Can I contact Apple Europe (by e-mail?) directly to check if all of my problems are covered by warranty? Of course, I think that all of the things I mentioned must be covered, because I really paid attention to the PB - it never fell or anything else even remotely violent that could've caused anything to break. I guess those legs fell off because of regular wear & tear, but the rest is serious trouble and paying those 600 EUR is like a nightmare for me as I just recently finished college and can't afford it! This is my first Mac and I've always wanted to buy one ever since I saw my cousin's Performa in '94... even my girlfriend made jokes that when I bought a Mac I got my first son!

Anyway, anyone been in similar situation like mine? Suggestions?

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2003, 12:27 AM

I don't see any other choice but for you to contact apple and detail your problems. It sounds like most if not all of your problems are under warranty.

How long ago did you purchase the machine?

Get in touch with Apple.

mRacic  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2003, 05:52 AM

I ordered it in February and got it in April!

I bought it in Italy because they were faster in getting it in stock and I didn't worry about keyboard layout 'cause I just wanted to get my hands on the computer! :-)

The problem is that there isn't an Apple Service around here - everything that has to be serviced is sent to Holland and I won't know if warranty is valid or not until the machine reaches service dept. Repairs which aren't covered by warranty cost 600 EUR (almost $700!) and it doesn't matter if it's a broken screen or a small 1-dollar-worth plastic latch... That's why I'd like to get in touch directly with Apple Service Europe and explain what happened so that I'd know if warranty will cover everything.

Does anyone know how can I get directly to them or did anyone had similar experiences in any other country and did the warranty cover the repairs?

crispinwilliams
Nov 24, 2003, 06:33 AM

Call up AppleCare and get it sent in.. recently I had a 800 Mhz tibook repaired by AppleCare.. it had a problem with the ethernet socket, a loose top cover around the keyboard and the combo drive stopped burning CDs. They replace the CD combo, the top cover and the motherboard - upgrading it to 867 MHz.. all under AppleCare. It took about 2.5 weeks for the repair- including the transport switzerland-holland-switzerland. When you speak to them - assume that they will replace these batteries clips under AppleCare - do not even discuss paying for it.
Re the audio problem - are you absolutely sure the balance is centred? System prefs - sound- output device...

mRacic  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2003, 06:38 AM

Thanks for the tip! I've checked the prefs and it was the balance! I just can't remember when did I change that because until you pointed it out, I didn't even know it was there...

I don't have AppleCare, just the general warranty - does it have anything to do with it? Did you go through Swiss AppleCare or directly to Holland?

baglunch
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2003, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by mRacic:
Thanks for the tip! I've checked the prefs and it was the balance! I just can't remember when did I change that because until you pointed it out, I didn't even know it was there...

I don't have AppleCare, just the general warranty - does it have anything to do with it? Did you go through Swiss AppleCare or directly to Holland?
I found that in MacOS 10.0 - 10.2, the audio balance changes all the time, usually when i change the volume. I haven't noticed it under panther, but i haven't really done any extensive testing with it.

mRacic  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2003, 02:36 PM

I have 10.2.8 which was supposed to be ok... Weird!

crispinwilliams
Nov 24, 2003, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by mRacic:

I was about to call up AppleCare - France or Switzerland toll free number - doesn't matter which.. but in the end I took it back to the Apple retailer who took care of everything re sending it back.. however I believe that calling them and getting Apple to send a box would have resulted in the same service - but just a slightly longer turn round waiting for the box - etc. You have 1 years guarantee on a new powerbook - so Apple will fix all your problems. I bought AppleCare just because all repairs to these highly compact powerbooks cost a fortune. This was my partner's pb.. I personally have a 17 inch B rev.. and this is really a beautiful machine... get your annoying battery problem fixed before the 1 year ends.. or buy AppleCare for extended coverage..

Forum Links
Forum Rules