Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My PB's Fan has gone Berzerk since 10.3.3

My PB's Fan has gone Berzerk since 10.3.3
hldan
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 05:14 AM

Apple stated that the 10.3.3 update was suppose to offer better management of the fans for the G5's but it looks like the update affected my PB G4's fan in the worst way.
It never came on the "automatic" settings in the energy saver control panel. Now it comes on and stays when the computer is barely luke warm. I have to set it to reduced processor performance to get the fan to calm down but it still takes more than 5 minutes to shut off in this setting and the computer is just barely warm. Bummer.
Anyone else's PB fan affected after the update? I need to know if it's just mine or not.
Thanks.
BTW my Mac is the 17" 1.33Ghz.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2004, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by hldan:

My PB's Fan has gone Berzerk since 10.3.3
Funniest title ever! Nice laugh, thanks!

But I am sorry to hear you have such problems. The first Powerbooks affected by Panther, 10.3.2, were the 12" ones, first generation (867 MHz). Now in 10.3.3 it seems there is an epidemy and other models are affected too. Perhaps "affected" is not the correct term, since we don't know if Apple deliberately lowered the fan threshold to prevent heat damage.

hldan  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by Pierre B.:
Funniest title ever! Nice laugh, thanks!

But I am sorry to hear you have such problems. The first Powerbooks affected by Panther, 10.3.2, were the 12" ones, first generation (867 MHz). Now in 10.3.3 it seems there is an epidemy and other models are affected too. Perhaps "affected" is not the correct term, since we don't know if Apple deliberately lowered the fan threshold to prevent heat damage.
Thanks Pierre, I am usually the guinea pig when it comes to software updates but this is the first time that I wished I had stayed with the 10.3.2 I just wonder if I am the only one experiencing this.
I suppose it's difficult for Apple to release software updates without certain side effects since they have so many different computer models that will be getting the same updates.
It's a bummer. Seems like the processor is heating up way too fast or the fans are just really sensitive after 10.3.3 as I am forced to use "reduced" performance to prevent the fan from turning on while typing this post.
Before I was able to use this forum in "Highest" performance for at least an hour before the fan would turn on. Weird affect.
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2004, 11:27 AM

Seems like the processor is heating up way too fast or the fans are just really sensitive after 10.3.3 as I am forced to use "reduced" performance to prevent the fan from turning on while typing this post.
You can try Temperature Monitor to see at what temperatures the fan comes on. Now I am on a Powerbook 12" 867 MHz running under 10.2.8 and the fan kicks on when the CPU temperature is about 63 degrees Celcius. This happens when the system remains for some time at more than 80% CPU usage. The fan then quickly lowers the temperature to about 60 degrees Celsius, which remains at this level, fluctuating slightly, as long as the CPU load continues and the fan is working.

Keiretsu
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2004, 01:50 PM

Most probably your power management prefs are corrupted.

If you can use the following command to find the file (somewhere in Library SystemConfig or so):

sudo find / -iname "*powermanagement*"

It's a file with .plist or .xml extension. Just do NOT delete the PowerManagement.bundle

I cannot provide the exact filename because I did delete mine (a new one would be created if I change something in the Prefs Panel).

Afterwards you reboot!

HouseSold
Senior User
Mar 16, 2004, 03:59 PM

Hidan,

I posted the same quirk elsewhere.

Fans gone beserk and iTunes can't manage above 30fps anymore and

Also Repair Permissions repeatedly shows:

Repairing permissions for �Powerbook 17 G4�
Determining correct file permissions.
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util. New permissions are 33261
The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

Permissions repair complete

iTunes starts fans immediately; visualizer shows better framerates but cooks(heats up) now.

What procedure to reinstall (revert) to 10.3.2

If anyone has an idea or Hidan figures it out, please post here.

Thanks.

crispinwilliams
Mar 16, 2004, 05:11 PM

17 inch 1.33 GHz powerbook .. 'automatic' processor performance.. fan comes on around 50 Celsius (same as 10.3.2) but only if the processor is heavily loaded.. goes off immediately that processor load reduced. I don't see any negative issue with 10.3.3.

hldan  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2004, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by HouseSold:
Hidan,

I posted the same quirk elsewhere.

Fans gone beserk and iTunes can't manage above 30fps anymore and

Also Repair Permissions repeatedly shows:

Repairing permissions for �Powerbook 17 G4�
Determining correct file permissions.
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util. New permissions are 33261
The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

Permissions repair complete

iTunes starts fans immediately; visualizer shows better framerates but cooks(heats up) now.

What procedure to reinstall (revert) to 10.3.2

If anyone has an idea or Hidan figures it out, please post here.

I don't know for sure if it's possible to go back to the previous update 10.3.2 without a reformat and install but if this issue persist and apple doesn't address it soon I will look into how to do it.

Thanks.
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

hldan  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2004, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by Keiretsu:
Most probably your power management prefs are corrupted.

If you can use the following command to find the file (somewhere in Library SystemConfig or so):

sudo find / -iname "*powermanagement*"

It's a file with .plist or .xml extension. Just do NOT delete the PowerManagement.bundle

I cannot provide the exact filename because I did delete mine (a new one would be created if I change something in the Prefs Panel).

Afterwards you reboot!

I took the advice of Keiretsu and reset the PMU on my PB 17" and so far so good. I have the energy saver settings no back on highest while typing this and no fan and the computer is only warm. Good advice. Thanks.
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2004, 06:30 AM

1ghz 12" pb.. Using temp monitor
In previous versions of 10.3 the temp would hover around the 45c mark when not really loading the cpu.
Now with 10.3.3 the temp has increased by an easy 3-5c, which takes it well over 47c and thats more or less when the fan kicks in.. So now the fan runs nearly all the time.. Grrr!

Other than that.. 10.3.3 seems like a perfectly good update.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2004, 07:02 AM

I noticed that in my wife's Dell Centrino, the fan comes on at around 47 degrees Celsius, which is rather easily reached. This and the fact that Apple, after the 12" 867 MHz, starts lowering the fan threshold in the other Powerbooks too, makes me wonder if this practice is related to some (new) safety regulation or if it is just to prevent damage from heat.

Grisu1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2004, 01:51 PM

First of all sorry for my english
With 10.3.3 now i have a problem with my G5 2Ghz and the fans that now they make a loud noise.
Do Anyone know the problem?
thanks

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2004, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by Grisu1:
First of all sorry for my english
With 10.3.3 now i have a problem with my G5 2Ghz and the fans that now they make a loud noise.
Do Anyone know the problem?
thanks
I am afraid you are on the wrong category. Better post in the Power Mac section, there are people that can help you.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2004, 07:41 PM

Apple stated that the 10.3.3 update was suppose to offer better management of the fans for the G5's but it looks like the update affected my PB G4's fan in the worst way.
It never came on the "automatic" settings in the energy saver control panel. Now it comes on and stays when the computer is barely luke warm. I have to set it to reduced processor performance to get the fan to calm down but it still takes more than 5 minutes to shut off in this setting and the computer is just barely warm. Bummer.
Anyone else's PB fan affected after the update? I need to know if it's just mine or not.
Thanks.
BTW my Mac is the 17" 1.33Ghz.
Once again, the CPU temperature at which fans turn on has not changed since 10.3.2. Install Temperture Monitor to see for yourself how PB usage affects the CPU temperature and the fan activity.

BrandonCorbin
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2004, 12:28 PM

Im not sure that I believe this totally, after the update my fan will kick on at 30c!!! 87F, thats just plain insane, but then again I have had nothing but problems will my 15" G4 AL PB...

Originally posted by macintologist:
Once again, the CPU temperature at which fans turn on has not changed since 10.3.2. Install Temperture Monitor to see for yourself how PB usage affects the CPU temperature and the fan activity.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2004, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by BrandonCorbin:
Im not sure that I believe this totally, after the update my fan will kick on at 30c!!! 87F, thats just plain insane, but then again I have had nothing but problems will my 15" G4 AL PB...
Wow. Has that occurred multiple times? You're sure it wasn't a one-time glitch? It's gotta be either a firmware or driver problem somehow. You should call Apple.

BrandonCorbin
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2004, 08:01 PM

EVERYTIME! Drives me nuts, I have had a fan replaced, and 2 logic boards. The fan on the left REVS when its not running, sounds like a little car revving, will drive you nuts if you let it. Im going to the apple store tonight, they said they wouldnt send my computer in for a 3rd time, and just replace it.

Originally posted by macintologist:
Wow. Has that occurred multiple times? You're sure it wasn't a one-time glitch? It's gotta be either a firmware or driver problem somehow. You should call Apple.

Me�vv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2004, 11:03 PM

I have a 12" PB 1GHz. In 10.3.2 and earlier the fan nearly ever came on and the computer did not seem to be that hot either. However, since 10.3.3 the fan comes on very soon after I start using it, and then it stays on and on. I got ThermographX yesterday and for the past 30 hours the CPU has been 50-52�C, while the GPU has been hovering around 58-60�C.

My old quiet PB has been transformed into a vacuum cleaner. Not happy.

HouseSold
Senior User
Mar 23, 2004, 01:54 AM

Same exact behavior as on our G4 17 1.33 until we archived and re-installed Panther stopping at 10.3.2 on updates.

Better battery life with 10.3.2 (probably cause fans run less)

ThermographX(in Fahrenheit) and Temperature Monitor(with Celsius displayed) stay on in the dock always.

BrandonCorbin
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2004, 09:03 AM

Well I took my 15" AL PB in yesterday and it failed some fan tests and the harddrive failed some other tests, needless to say Im really pissed about all of this, spending 2500 bucks and in the first 3 months having it in the apple store 3 times. So they are going to replace it for me!

BrandonCorbin
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2004, 09:23 PM

Well I took it in to the Apple Store, and they said maybe its not the fan you hear but the harddrive (They must think that Im stupid, but I knew they would swap in a new drive, then still hear the problem, and replace it) and thats exactly what they did. So I am now writing to all of you on my new Powerbook, that is QUITE!

No more fan problems! Thank you god! I am still pissed about the quality of the last one I had though.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2004, 09:41 PM

So they replaced the harddrive or the fan...?

My 12" PB (first version) has been running the fan much more often since 10.3.3.

BrandonCorbin
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2004, 09:49 PM

They replaced the hard-drive, then that didnt help, since it was my 3rd replacement they decided to just replace the whole computer. So I got a brand new machine!

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Mar 25, 2004, 11:33 PM

i have been having my fan going nonstop as well. it kicks on at 119.4, and doesn't seem to kick off. it would be nice if apple fixed this.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

geomike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2004, 06:05 PM

Just for the record, same problems here with my 12" (867MHz) Pb. After 10.3.2 the fan comes on early, but after 10.3.3 things are even worse. Causal web browsing (only Safari and Mail apps are on) and T=126 F and the fan is on. I think it is rediculus for such a limited usage (just writting this message) to have the machine so hot and the fan working non stop pretty much. Plus it drains the battery much faster now.

No more quiet PBs. ARRRGGGG!!!!

BrandonCorbin
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2004, 10:44 AM

I will say that my replaced powerbook has been a charm, but the inconsistency that people are experiencing is quite troubling. I mean we all have the SAME computers basically, (unlike the windows world where there are millions of variations) and we should have the same damn issues... Whats up apple!?

Me�vv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2004, 01:19 PM

I have the same problem since upgradeing to 10.3.3
Using TemperatureX I have found that the fan goes on not because of the CPU but when the HD temperature reaches 47�C. This happenes quickly after startup even with almost nothing running. After that the fan stays on and on. Activity monitor reveals nothing special, 25-65% CPU usage.

Thinking that it might be the hard drive I ran sudo fs_usage and noticed that the drive writes about 30-60 things every second! Most things are called CACHE_HIT by the process Windowserver. Why would the file system write that often to presumably a log file?

If I use Wuartz Debug (dev tool) to shut off Quartz Extreme the extreme disk writing stops. I don't know yet if this will reduce the working temperature and fan noise.

Am I the only one with a fan running amock?

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Apr 20, 2004, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by Me�vv:
Am I the only one with a fan running amock?
my fan is acting up too. i think i dion wanna upgrde to the newest powerbook, on account that they are probably hotter than the current 12"
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

Forum Links
Forum Rules