Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > V3 Razr or K700?

View Poll Results: V3 Razr or K700?
Poll Options:
Motorola V3 Razr 9 votes (36.00%)
SE K700 10 votes (40.00%)
Other (specify what and why) 6 votes (24.00%)
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll
V3 Razr or K700?
tictactoe
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2005, 08:26 PM

Razr

Pros:
-Sleek design
-Thin
-Aluminum (matches my powerbook)

Cons:
-$150 (with contract)
-No solid integration with iSync.

K700

Pros:
-Seamless bluetooth integration with iSync
-$50

Cons:
-Not as thin as the Razr

I emailed Apple asking them whether the V3 Razr will ever be completely integrated with iSync, but have not received an answer yet. Assuming the Razr will not be, which one would you go with and why?

nerd
Senior User
Feb 14, 2005, 12:17 AM

Where can you get the Razr for $150 with contract?

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2005, 12:25 AM

Honestly, nether.

The k700 is having a nice replacement come out soon and the Razor is having candybar style versions on the way. The pics for both look nice.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

tictactoe  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2005, 01:40 AM

Originally posted by nerd:
Where can you get the Razr for $150 with contract?
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=231827

Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2005, 01:55 AM

tictactoe  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2005, 02:00 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:

http://www.mobile-files.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5089
I prefer the Razr in the flip form-factor. I tend to carry my phone in my pocket with other things, so if it is not a flip phone it will get scratched pretty easily. Plus, that thing will probably be as expensive as the V3 when it first came out (if not more expensive).

Link
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2005, 02:04 AM

Nice, but I prefer clamshells, any idea when tmobile in the US will finally get the darn thing?
Aloha

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2005, 02:49 AM

The Razr looks good but it has a Moto interface. SE phones are quite cookie-cutterish and I had serious quality control problems when I had SE phones.
Series 60 is the way to go, and the Nokia 6630 is the best of the bunch.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Fillman
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2005, 06:12 AM

Originally posted by tictactoe:
I prefer the Razr in the flip form-factor. I tend to carry my phone in my pocket with other things, so if it is not a flip phone it will get scratched pretty easily. Plus, that thing will probably be as expensive as the V3 when it first came out (if not more expensive).
I use a K700 with a Brando Screen protector. That eliminates the scratching problem in my pocket.
- Earth First - We'll mine the rest of the planets later

ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2005, 07:28 AM

6630 is nice, 6680 is on the way, with a proper videocalling camera on the front.

Also some new SE's on engadget today, Z800i (a non Vodafone V800 3G clamshell) and K600i 3G candybar phone.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Cellery
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2005, 11:17 AM

I tried the K700i, but currently use a V3 Razr because I got a sweet deal on it. As a phone, it works well, with quad-band capability, good RF performance, and clear audio in addition to the good looks. However, the UI, though improved, is nowhere near Sony Ericsson's, and doesn't really make use of the higher screen resolution. Navigation is a little clunky and you have to drill down through a lot of menus to get what you want at times. I also just dropped mine for the first from about 3 feet off the ground onto carpet, and it scuffed the silver paint off the bottom portion of the phone, which is made of cheap plastic. Also, the phone only has a little over 5MB of memory, which may or may not be an issue. I would use the K700 as a stopgap or wait just a little longer for a much better phone.

tictactoe  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2005, 02:16 AM

Anyone else?

Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2005, 02:35 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
The Razr looks good but it has a Moto interface. SE phones are quite cookie-cutterish and I had serious quality control problems when I had SE phones.
Series 60 is the way to go, and the Nokia 6630 is the best of the bunch.
Funny cuz if you ask me I had serious Quality control issues with Nokia phones and the 3 SE phones I have had have been outstanding.

Minty Fresh
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2005, 02:56 AM

I'm sorry...but I think the Razr is one of the most highly overrated phones to come out in a long time. The only thing it has going...is it's thin (but honestly not much more than many other phones), and it's kinda cool looking. The phone has a HUGE footprint though....it's really wide. Even wider than my 3 year old Sanyo SCP-5300. And, it's feature set is dwarfed by many other cheaper phones. It's overall just a poorly engineered phone....especially the OS. Most people I talk to that own one....don't really have many good things to say about it, other than it's cool looking.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 03:24 AM

p910?

iomatic
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 04:22 AM

my treo 650 rocks hard. a tad biggish, but i'm EDGEing to the forefront, baby!

i don't always carry my powerbook (bad Mac user!), but i can check email, browse weather, check stocks, look over notes while talking to clients, check POs, confirm invoices, carry artwork, sketch, identify stars, GPS maps, blah blah...

kick ass!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2005, 07:04 AM

3G services just got launched here and it rocks. Makes the 6630 that much better. Able to even make video calls.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

mbryda
Senior User
Feb 17, 2005, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by Link:
Nice, but I prefer clamshells, any idea when tmobile in the US will finally get the darn thing?
Never. Cingular has the exlusice contract on the whole RAZR line.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2005, 12:54 PM

I have a K700i updated to latest firmware. Personally, I love this phone. Reception is great and as you said, it works flawlessly with iSync. I have a Krussel leather case with belt clip I use with it and it keeps it protected. Much better reception than my old SE T610 on same service and in the same location. Highly recommended.

Link
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2005, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by mbryda:
Never. Cingular has the exlusice contract on the whole RAZR line.
Too bad that's only true in the US, in europe TM has the razor.

F*** cingular.
Aloha

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2005, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by Mrjinglesusa:
I have a K700i updated to latest firmware. Personally, I love this phone. Reception is great and as you said, it works flawlessly with iSync. I have a Krussel leather case with belt clip I use with it and it keeps it protected. Much better reception than my old SE T610 on same service and in the same location. Highly recommended.
I like the features on the phone but the look of it is really cheap and ugly. Even my friend who owns it says the black T637 I own looks nicer.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2005, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
I like the features on the phone but the look of it is really cheap and ugly. Even my friend who owns it says the black T637 I own looks nicer.
Thanks for the opinion. Personally, I think it looks great and so does everyone I show it to. Not the least bit "cheap" looking and definitely not ugly. To be certain, "cheap" and "ugly" are two words I have NEVER heard used to describe the K700i until now.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2005, 02:44 PM

Thanks for the opinion. Personally, I think it looks great and so does everyone I show it to. Not the least bit "cheap" looking and definitely not ugly. To be certain, "cheap" and "ugly" are two words I have NEVER heard used to describe the K700i until now.
Hey first time for everything. I think it looks a bit iffy because on the back the camera used to have a slider to protect it. Last minute they removed the slider but left the cutout around the lens which looks odd.

It would have looked even nicer in black like the T637

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2005, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Hey first time for everything. I think it looks a bit iffy because on the back the camera used to have a slider to protect it. Last minute they removed the slider but left the cutout around the lens which looks odd.

It would have looked even nicer in black like the T637
I think the reception, 176 x 220 (vs. 128 x 160) screen and 32 MB memory (vs. 2 MB) make the K700i a winner over the T637. Plus, polished silver looks nicer than black IMO.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2005, 04:46 PM

I think the reception, 176 x 220 (vs. 128 x 160) screen and 32 MB memory (vs. 2 MB) make the K700i a winner over the T637. Plus, polished silver looks nicer than black IMO.
Polished silver? Most of the thing is white plastic!

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by Link:
Too bad that's only true in the US, in europe TM has the razor.

F*** cingular.
So you know, most exclusive contracts are for the first 100 days the phone is on the market. Few manufacturers (save Danger, but the SK requires a different service plan, etc.) give exclusives to one provider for the whole life of the phone.

Of course T-Mobile is the other end of the equation. If they're smart, they're in talks with Moto right now about getting the Razr V3 after Cingular's exclusive is up.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2005, 06:03 PM

Just get an unlocked phone off ebay for the love of god.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2005, 06:17 PM

Is that useful if you have to pay $70/month to get that deal?

mbryda
Senior User
Feb 18, 2005, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by TimmyDee51:
So you know, most exclusive contracts are for the first 100 days the phone is on the market. Few manufacturers (save Danger, but the SK requires a different service plan, etc.) give exclusives to one provider for the whole life of the phone.
I think it was on Phonescoop or Howardforums that I read about the RAZR and Cingular only in the US. Apparently they bought the rights to the entire production for the USA.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2005, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by mbryda:
I think it was on Phonescoop or Howardforums that I read about the RAZR and Cingular only in the US. Apparently they bought the rights to the entire production for the USA.
Who cares, again, get it unlocked off ebay.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

tictactoe  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2005, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
Is that useful if you have to pay $70/month to get that deal?
You pay $70/month if you want it for FREE, but its $150 if you want to get it with a different plan.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2005, 02:39 PM

I have the K700i and love it. It really depends on whether you are a clamshell or candybar phone person. I've played with a friend's V3 but it doesn't seem to be good for texting others.

zolagol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 10:23 PM

yes, i've had both...i kept the RAZR longer because of a preference for clamshell....both performed equally well while using the same carrier....i change mobile every 3 months or so.....(unlocked of course)....i'm now using a Treo 650....loving it...for now....
the main drawback for the RAZR is not enough memory vs. the K700...and i believe SE's are more compatible with Mac....no video capture either....however design goes to the RAZR by a mile....
Mac. When you want something that works. Period.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 10:21 AM

i'm not a big clamshell fan. i have a t616 right now, and a k700i on the way.
i got the k700i off ebay last friday but it was DOA, i sent it back and they have sent me a new one.

the phone looks very nice, i much prefer it's looks to my t616. i can't talk about the software or reception yet.

just my 2c

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2005, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice
Anyone have any experience with this phone, the K600i? And does anyone know for certain whether or not it will work with T-Mobile in the US? It's GSM 900, 1900, 1800. Looks really nice, and MyWorldPhone has it for only $249. I was thinking of picking one up if it will work. Never had a Sony, but I hear they're great, so I figure I'll give it shot.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2005, 08:35 PM

Double.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2005, 08:36 PM

Triple.

Forum Links
Forum Rules