Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Import mail.app mails (10.5) into Windows Mail (Vista)

Import mail.app mails (10.5) into Windows Mail (Vista)
HamSandwich
Aug 22, 2010, 05:50 AM

Hey,
after 13 years with the Mac, I switched to a PC. No flaming, please! I continue loving the Mac, don't worry.

I have trouble importing my mails, though. I have just backupped my "Mails" folder from the Library in my private folder. Therein are, eventually thousands of .emlx files. I used Mac OS X 10.5, not 10.6.

What to do? I use Vista, so I have no Outlook but I have Windows Mail, which grew on me, so there's no reason to change. How to import them? Windows Mail says it can only import Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express, Exchange or Windows Mail 7 emails. Any ideas? Should I have exported them from mail.app in OS X before?

Help would be neat,
Greetings,
Steve

Cold Warrior
Aug 22, 2010, 08:57 AM

Use or sign up for an account that supports IMAP. Gmail is one example.

Move all your messages to the IMAP folders.

Set up that IMAP account in Windows Mail and your email will be there.

Continue using IMAP.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2010, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by SteveJobs View Post
Hey,
after 13 years with the Mac, I switched to a PC. No flaming, please!
Sort of hard considering your nick.

If you hadn't been around for so long, you'd qualify for a troll award

-t

ibook_steve
Aug 23, 2010, 02:30 AM

I'd like to know why you switched, especially with having to deal with an issue like what you are asking about.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

64stang06
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2010, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
I'd like to know why you switched, especially with having to deal with an issue like what you are asking about.

Steve
Esp to Vista and not Windows 7.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

HamSandwich
Aug 25, 2010, 03:51 PM

Hey...

I didn't try the IMAP suggestion yet, but it sounds like it could work though. Thanks!

Why I switched, that's not so easy. I switched my course of studying entirely and probably needed PC software which was how I started thinking about it - and I needed a new notebook, 15". The new MacBook Pros cost twice as much as a PC notebook, so that was reason number 2. And number 3, I wanted to try and see how bad they - PCs - were for real. It was strange, at first. But there are many details that can grow on you - and of course, I use iTunes and Firefox, I write my programs for university in Eclipse and I didn't have to give up many habits - so (I see the flaming coming ... ) is the difference so big, still? Not for me, at least.

I might share one anecdote, though: Six weeks after swichting, my PC laptop was completely infected with viruses, Avira AntiVir eventually showed 200 messages of warning. I had no idea where they could have come from - frankly, I had not cared so much about virus protection or security, but that was really much and even my PC friends were surprised. The only reason I can think of until this day is this: After switching, I simply copied my mails (I used Thunderbird back then and had converted them to .mboxes, I believe, which Thunderbird could use, but I didn't like Thunderbird so much) and my antivirus program noticed many viruses or trojans in my mails which my Mac of course had never found nor struggled with. I deleted everything, but apparently, I was not careful or the program was not strong enough, so I think my viruses came from the old "Mac mails". :-) (Fun for any Mac user, I think). I was more careful after reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling everything and I had absolutely no problems ever since (one year).

So, I might switch back to the Mac when I finally find a job and I can afford it more easily, that's my take on it.

Greetings,
Steve

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2010, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by SteveJobs View Post
I might share one anecdote, though: Six weeks after swichting, my PC laptop was completely infected with viruses, Avira AntiVir eventually showed 200 messages of warning. I had no idea where they could have come from - frankly, I had not cared so much about virus protection or security, but that was really much and even my PC friends were surprised. The only reason I can think of until this day is this: After switching, I simply copied my mails (I used Thunderbird back then and had converted them to .mboxes, I believe, which Thunderbird could use, but I didn't like Thunderbird so much) and my antivirus program noticed many viruses or trojans in my mails which my Mac of course had never found nor struggled with. I deleted everything, but apparently, I was not careful or the program was not strong enough, so I think my viruses came from the old "Mac mails". :-) (Fun for any Mac user, I think). I was more careful after reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling everything and I had absolutely no problems ever since (one year).
That doesn't make sense. Even IF there were viruses in the Email body or attachments, they wouldn't get executed until you at least viewed those emails or had them show up in the preview pane. Just COPYING old emails could not have triggered the viruses.

I think something else was the reason, which shows you how risky Windows still is.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules