Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > AL15"/Panther: Brightness slowing system down?

AL15"/Panther: Brightness slowing system down?
KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2003, 02:42 PM

I don't know if this is a PB issue or a Panther issue or both, but I've noticed lately that sometimes when I adjust the brightness on my PB using the F1 and F2 keys, it takes a long time for the 'book to respond, especially if I try to adjust it by pressing the key rapidly several times. Sometimes I would estimate it could take up to 20-30 seconds for each increment of brightness to register, and for the bezel to appear.

The real problem with this for me is that it slows my whole system down and makes it very unstable. I've tried to figure out what's going on when this happens, but all I've been able to find is that a process called "sh" is at or near the top when the slowdown occurs, but it's only using about 3% of my CPU and my system is showing as 85-90% idle. Meanwhile, it's crawling along like it's totally overloaded, and the last time this happened, it eventually dumped me to the login screen. BTW, this is a 1.25gHz with 512 RAM so it's pretty speedy otherwise.

I don't know if this "sh" is the answer, and after I logged back in I couldn't reproduce it to check, but the problem went away. Sometimes it goes away without logging out or restarting, everything just seems to calm down. But I'd really like to know what it is because it almost happened at a very inopportune moment last night, and every time it happens kind of freaks me out. My PB has been very stable and reliable otherwise.

Anybody else experienced or heard of this?

El Berserko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2003, 05:58 PM

This has happened to me on two occasions. Each time it occurred when I was holding down or repeatedly pressing the brightness keys. It completely slowed everything to a crawl until I was able to reboot it or get it to the login screen. I don't know what is causing it, but it has only happened with Panther.

Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2003, 04:07 AM

Yes, I will confirm that I have been having similar troubles. Not just 1 or 2 times, but a couple times a week. It is extremely annoying.

I don't know of a solution or even what's going wrong.

gif32
Dec 14, 2003, 11:25 AM

Me too (or four). Only with Panther. And it seems only with brightness... does anyone who plays w/ the keyboard backlight or volume a lot notice it with these functions as well?

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 14, 2003, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by gif32:
Me too (or four). Only with Panther. And it seems only with brightness... does anyone who plays w/ the keyboard backlight or volume a lot notice it with these functions as well?
yep, this also happens with sound and keyboard backlight. i think it must be some kind of caching issue with those panels. btw: i�ve had this happen in jaguar as well.
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

arfung
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2003, 12:06 PM

This same thing happens to me. I used the disc utility to fix permissions on my drive, and then slowed down the key repeat rate from the Keyboard control panel, and the brightness slowdown hasn't hit me since. I have no idea whether these fixes are related.

Jaeger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2003, 02:36 PM

This has happened to me as well. About a one minute lag from button press to response, and it logged me out after awhile.

Has anyone found anything else out regarding this issue?

KP*  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2003, 02:06 PM

I poked around on the Apple support forums and couldn't find anything on this with a search, but things are kind of spread out there. Do all of us have 15"AlBooks or is it a mix?

tobyg
Dec 15, 2003, 03:13 PM

Happens with me too. I have a Rev A 17"

I think it got better when I told it not to auto-adjust based on the light sensor. I have a feeling I was fighting it. I would try to dim it but the sensor would see that it's dark and it would try to brighten the screen. Not a 'fix' but hasn't happened to me since I turned that 'feature' off.

KP*  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 16, 2003, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by tobyg:
Happens with me too. I have a Rev A 17"

I think it got better when I told it not to auto-adjust based on the light sensor. I have a feeling I was fighting it. I would try to dim it but the sensor would see that it's dark and it would try to brighten the screen. Not a 'fix' but hasn't happened to me since I turned that 'feature' off.
Good idea. I've turned it off on mine (never really cared for it anyway), so we'll see what happens.

Forum Links
Forum Rules