Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Programming F Keys

Programming F Keys
atomsdca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2002, 07:27 PM

Hello
Was wondering if it is possible toprogram my F Keys to paste certain text elements in Netscape. Very repetitive task, having tp type same thing over and over. Would like to just click ona form field and hit F1 and have it paste a specific text element.
Can this be done?
Cheers!
Jason

mayhemstudios
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2002, 04:26 PM

I don't know about Netscape but Internet Explorer has a forms where you just type in your info once and click on the form button and it fills it in for you. I resisted using IE for a long time but Netscape just didn't have all the things that IE has.

Cal

Calvin Lee
Creative Director
mayhemstudios.com

H�rnchen
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2002, 03:38 AM

Why can't you use your copy/paste? And if you have different elements, their is a shareware called CopyPaste which multiplies its function.
Murphy's Second Corollary:
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

atomsdca  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2002, 01:44 PM

There are 4 form fields which I would need to repeat information on. It is on a service we use for uploading newspaper ads, and I usually have to reenter the same info 18 times for one region, 6 times for another. I'd like to just hit F1 for "x" info, F2 for "y" info.

I'll check out that shareware. We aren't supposed to download stuff at work, but if it's justiofiable then maybe it would be ok.

Oh yah and of rthe other guy who suggested Explorer, the service we use does not support Explorer, just Netscape, thus no Autofill.

Thanks!
Jason

rambo47
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2002, 06:03 PM

For OS 9 check out Quick Keys. I used it a while back and it was great. I haven't used it in a while but it sounds like just what you're looking for.

atomsdca  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2002, 06:56 PM

Thanks!

Acutlaly I downloaded demo today and it is a little robut than i need, plus it costs money (tight company). I'd love to figure out an AppleScript and just assign it to an F-Key through Keyboard control panel.

Anyone a guru at AppleScript?

Cheers!
Jason

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2002, 01:28 AM

Apple script cannot 'type', but if the app is scriptable enough it might be able to 'set' the clip board and 'paste'. QuickKeys AKA KeyQuencer. its simple, perfectly compatible and works great, I used to use it when I was in Classic.

Interesting, a service that only works with netscape and NOT Internet Explorer, thats a change!

George Orville
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2002, 02:33 AM

This is what you might use.....TypeIt4Me at..........

Version Master or..

bigbiker
Find it here

bigbiker

[ 02-07-2002: Message edited by: George Orville ]
bigbiker

Forum Links
Forum Rules