Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Old ROM boot up problem with 9.0.4

Old ROM boot up problem with 9.0.4
kgforce
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2000, 03:39 PM

I downloaded and installed the 9.0.4 update on my BW G3. When I restarted, it wouldn't boot -- the message that the ROM was too old to run with OS 9.0.4. I've reinstalled the update multiple times, booted off a CD to update, zapped the PRAM, tossed the ROM (v 3.7) and reinstalled, etc. In about 20 times to boot, I've only been successful twice. The last time I did it, I was actually trying to boot from an 8.6 OS partition, so I held the OPT-CMD-SHIFT-DELETE keys. Lo and behold, the 9.0.4 partition booted properly.

Does anybody have ANY idea what's going on? I've been using Macs for over 10 years, and I don't recall a situation like this.

tedcpink
Apr 6, 2000, 01:51 AM

For what it's worth, I have the same problem on a Bronze Powerbook. Unfortunately, I also have no idea what's going on. Anyone?

e_Whizz!
Apr 6, 2000, 05:55 AM

It seems that your computer is first loading the 8.6 macOSRom and then trying to boot from the OS9 partition. This is where you version numbers are doing strange things.

I would suggest doing a search for "Mac OS Rom" using sherlock and remove any duplicates on your OS9 partition, keeping the one in the active system folder.

It may also be that your machine is loading the rom file from the first partion on your drive, hence this is where you should have OS9 installed.

kgforce  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2000, 02:47 PM

After reading some other BB's, I removed the PowerPC Enabler 9.0.4 from the System Folder. That seemed to do it. (I had tried a clean install of 9.0, then updated it to 9.0.4 and still had the same "old ROM problem".) Removing the enabler seems to work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules