Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Home dir on FW Drive, can't log in anymore

Home dir on FW Drive, can't log in anymore
leperkuhn
Senior User
Sep 24, 2009, 12:49 PM

The setup:
I have a Mac Mini, with my home directory on a Firewire Hard Drive. Running Snow Leopard.

2 Days ago I woke up, and my computer was unresponsive. I could move the mouse around, but windows didn't respond to clicks, the Dock didn't seem to work, basically the system was unusable. I used the power button to shut down the machine.

I started the computer back up, and I was greeted with what was essentially a new account - my FW drive hadn't mounted to the same point. I went into the account preferences and changed the drive, now mounted at "/Volumes/myname 1"

After I restarted, at the login screen, I got an error that I couldn't log into the account.

Unfortunately, it's the only account that I had set up for the computer. I've booted up off my Snow Leopard disc, verified both discs (they're fine), but I can't seem to figure out a way to change the home folder for my main account to something other than the Firewire drive.

So - does anyone have any suggestions for how to get this thing back on track? Is there a way to change my account configuration to point to a different home folder via the Terminal when booting from the Snow Leopard disc?

Thanks in advance,
Jon

Forum Links
Forum Rules