Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I CANNOT decide whether to get the MacCase messenger or Radtech bag

I CANNOT decide whether to get the MacCase messenger or Radtech bag
kjd88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2005, 08:53 PM

its either this:
http://www.radtech.us/Products/ShoulderBags.aspx#Brink

or this

http://www.jambags.com/MacCase%20Messenger.htm

i need input!! I'm looking for a shoulder bag that has a few pockets (for school folders and such) and holds a 12in powerbook!!!

ricacu
Feb 1, 2005, 09:13 PM

buy a nice messenger bag, that isnt made for laptops, buy a sleeve, drop it in, and walk.
15" 1.5Ghz AlBook | supr. drive | M-Audio e49 .

jamiep
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2005, 11:02 PM

both are fairly hideous in my opinion. check out sfbags.com or ebags.com.

butter71
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2005, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by ricacu:
buy a nice messenger bag, that isnt made for laptops, buy a sleeve, drop it in, and walk.
i totally agree.

buy a "dragnet" bag from freitag. they're a bit on the pricey side.. but guaranteed unique.

freitag

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2005, 12:15 AM

Check out crumpler bags (do a google search). They are very nicely made and quite stylish. I personally have one for when I just need to carry my powerbook and some other very small stuff (my bag is fairly small). When I need to bring text books with me and such I throw my PB in a sleave case (purchased from radtech) and put it in my northface backpack. I highly recomend northface packs - they take a beating for years and still look like new. They are also very comfy, stylish, roomy, and have nice organizers. I believe they do also make 2 or 3 styles of packs specifically designed for notebooks. However, I got mine well before I every got a laptop, I don't think they even had a laptop model then...
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2005, 11:32 PM

i just ordered the radtech alley for my PB12. it seems to be everthing i'm looking for: minimal size but more than just a sleeve. i'll post again when it arrives.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

kjd88  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2005, 11:38 PM

can you post pics too teknopimp?

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2005, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by kjd88:
can you post pics too teknopimp?
will do!

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

groovn72
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2005, 12:23 AM

Hi,

I ordered a backpack.

I got tired of lugging a messenger bag around campus with my books, notebooks, folders, cellphone, iPod, laptop, etc. I'm going to be in graduate school for a while shooting for an MLS and then a Masters in Government.

The backpack is not that pretty...but it is functional.

I also ordered a Viper Sleeve from Booqbags.

I was considering switching to the Brenthaven messenger bag that is sold in the Apple Stores but decided against it.

Barry

Targus Backpack

tictactoe
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2005, 12:57 AM

I've been looking for a good messenger bag for my 12" Powerbook for almost 3 weeks now with no luck. I've browsed pretty much all the sites in the case thread, but I just can't find the right thing.

I have a Shinza sleeve for my PB, so all I need is a nice messenger bag I can slide it in.

Why is this so difficult?!?!?!?!

groovn72
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2005, 01:06 AM

Originally posted by tictactoe:
I've been looking for a good messenger bag for my 12" Powerbook for almost 3 weeks now with no luck. I've browsed pretty much all the sites in the case thread, but I just can't find the right thing.

I have a Shinza sleeve for my PB, so all I need is a nice messenger bag I can slide it in.

Why is this so difficult?!?!?!?!
Do you like the Brenthaven case that is made for the 12" Powerbook? That's the one I was looking at before I decided to swtich to a backpack. It's brown/tan and black and looks nice online and in person. It's not all that "sporty" and it looks less casual than the Timbuk-2 bags (which are nice and well constructed by the way, I've used one for a couple of years now).

www.brenthaven.com

Look for the "Fusion Flex."

Barry

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2005, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by groovn72:
Do you like the Brenthaven case that is made for the 12" Powerbook?
i have the now-discontinued model for the 12". it's ok but too much bag for my needs. a narrower top-loader with less padding and a lot less pockets is what i really want. basically a shoulder bag that holds a laptop and not much more. don't care for backpacks, messenger bags or sleeves; the RadTech Alley is what seems to fit my needs at this moment in time.

https://www.radtech.us/Products/ShoulderBags.aspx#Alley

tictactoe
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2005, 03:28 AM

Originally posted by groovn72:
Do you like the Brenthaven case that is made for the 12" Powerbook? That's the one I was looking at before I decided to swtich to a backpack. It's brown/tan and black and looks nice online and in person. It's not all that "sporty" and it looks less casual than the Timbuk-2 bags (which are nice and well constructed by the way, I've used one for a couple of years now).

www.brenthaven.com

Look for the "Fusion Flex."

Barry
The Fusion Flex is actually quite nice until I reach the price tag. I forgot to mention that I want something that is black and/or navy blue that can carry a few books too.

SpaceRockness
Feb 3, 2005, 04:04 AM

Those Radtech bags seem fairly good, its tough to base a real option from looking at photos and commenting. From my own experience with Timbuk2 messenger bags, they're probably the toughest designed product I've ever owned...besides the trusty LL Bean backpacks I've had from elementry to HS

Brenthaven makes good products, my cousin has one for a Sony Viao but for myself they're either too little in storage, too big or doesn't fit my heavier textbooks... I'd agree price seems a bit high on the Fusion Flex.

kjd88  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2005, 11:23 AM

i found a deal (from dealmac.com) where i could get a brenthaven 12 in messenger for $50 (msrp is $99). so i splurged and bought that. i hope its nice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules