Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Your 1st Mac photos

Your 1st Mac photos
SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2007, 11:30 PM

Since all the forums have these, I thought it might be cool to see your 1st Mac if you have a photo of it. I thought this would be the best place for it since everyone had a different beginning and time.

My 1st is a LCIII with a stylewriter 1200 (I believe) in late 1995. Also pictured on top of the monitor is a Gravis stick and a midiman interface. 8 megs of ram in that 33 mhz monster!!

paid $900 for it!!

The my wifes 1st Mac is of course the Lime 333mhz iMaac and matching green STUFF!!

I showed you mine, now lets see yours....
( Last edited by SeSawaya; Feb 27, 2007 at 09:11 PM. )

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2007, 11:35 PM

My first computer was an Apple ][gs. Sadly I have no pictures. My first Mac, I think, was a IIsi. Again, no pictures.
( Last edited by nonhuman; Feb 27, 2007 at 12:05 AM. )

mindwaves
Feb 26, 2007, 11:39 PM

I loved this computer:

Bought it for college.

Edit for clarification: iMac DV+ (sage) Summer 2000
450 MHz G3 processor
64 MB of RAM, upgraded to 128 MB
30 GB HD I believe
ATi Rage 128 GPU w/ 16 MB VRAM
( Last edited by mindwaves; Feb 26, 2007 at 11:59 PM. )

Person Man
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2007, 11:53 PM

Here's mine:

My Apple IIgs, which I got at Christmas in 1987... I used it as my main computer for 9 years until I bought the Power Mac 7600 seen in the picture in 1996. I replaced it in 2001 with a QuickSilver G4 machine, which was itself replaced in 2004 with a refurbished Dual 2.0 GHz G5.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2007, 11:54 PM

Yeah, the Graphite iMac was a sexy beast.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2007, 11:59 PM

Heh, anyone else remember when Apple's 13" monitor seemed incredibly huge compared to the 12" that everyone else had?

I think my 24" Dell is making fun of me now.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2007, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Heh, anyone else remember when Apple's 13" monitor seemed incredibly huge compared to the 12" that everyone else had?

I think my 24" Dell is making fun of me now.
That monitor on top of my IIgs is a 12 inch

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2007, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
That monitor on top of my IIgs is a 12 inch
Yeah, I had the same one.

Didn't get the 13" till much later.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2007, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Yeah, I had the same one.

Didn't get the 13" till much later.
Heck, the 17 inch monster sitting on my Power Mac 7600 is much bigger and heavier than the 17 inch CRT monitor connected to my PC...

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2007, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by SeSawaya View Post
Since all the forums have these, I thought it might be cool to see your 1st Mac if you have a photo of it. I thought this would be the best place for it since everyone had a different beginning and time.

My 1st is a LCIII with a stylewriter 1200 (I believe) in late 1995. Also pictured on top of the monitor is a Gravis stick and a midiman interface. 8 megs of ram in that 33 mhz monster!!

I had that same computer! I was in high school at the time which dates me a bit I suppose, but I saved up from my busboy job to buy a stylewriter 1200!

Before that it was an Apple IIGs with an Imagewriter II, and after that was a Performa 6400, G3 minitower, G4 cube, and G5 iMac. Guess I'm due for an Intel if you follow that pattern!

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Feb 27, 2007, 01:16 AM

My first mac: Indigo iBook Clamshell 366Mhz, 576MB RAM, 40GB HDD. Purchased Sept. 05 when I switched.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2007, 01:18 AM

My first computer

A Laser (Apple II clone)

My first Mac

Mac Classic

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2007, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
My first Mac

Mac Classic
W00t! Zork! I remember playing that on my ][gs.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2007, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by hookem2oo7 View Post
My first mac: Indigo iBook Clamshell 366Mhz, 576MB RAM, 40GB HDD. Purchased Sept. 05 when I switched.
I feel sorry for people who switched in 1999-2001. The Macs then were nice, yes, but simply not fast enough to survive the OS X transition. Switching in 2002-2004 was pretty good. The aluminum powerbooks were great switch bait, so was the iMac flat panel, but I think the golden era of switching is RIGHT NOW with the Intels.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Feb 27, 2007, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
I feel sorry for people who switched in 1999-2001. The Macs then were nice, yes, but simply not fast enough to survive the OS X transition. Switching in 2002-2004 was pretty good. The aluminum powerbooks were great switch bait, so was the iMac flat panel, but I think the golden era of switching is RIGHT NOW with the Intels.
meh... It was a great machine for me to switch on... Introduced me to OS X--the last OS I had experience with on a Mac was System 7--and it had crazy long battery life. Sure, it was slow and the 800x600 resolution wasn't fun, but it made me want bigger and better Macs (I type this post on a 2.16 C2D MBP ). I see what you mean though, even after upgrading it to 576mb ram it was still pretty sluggish.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2007, 01:44 AM

My first Mac: very original Bondi Blue iMac, 233MHz, 96MB RAM, 4GB HDD, baby! Awh yeah! Video card **** the bed after a little over a year, and I was screwed without a computer for over a year. Second Mac: dual 800 G4 tower. Third, and current: original 15" MacBook Pro, 2GHz, 1GB RAM, 256MB X1600. Had its logic board, battery, and fans replaced. Happy as can be.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2007, 03:15 AM

Not mine, don't seem to have taken a picture of it. Mine had an external 21" monitor that displayed a glorious 256 colours in 1024x780 resolution!

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2007, 03:16 AM

This was my longest lasting mac, the trusty IIsi:

My biggest upgrade was a GIG external harddrive (insane compared to the 80MB built in).

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

macintologist
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2007, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by hookem2oo7 View Post
meh... It was a great machine for me to switch on... Introduced me to OS X--the last OS I had experience with on a Mac was System 7--and it had crazy long battery life. Sure, it was slow and the 800x600 resolution wasn't fun, but it made me want bigger and better Macs (I type this post on a 2.16 C2D MBP ). I see what you mean though, even after upgrading it to 576mb ram it was still pretty sluggish.
I have the 1.86ghz intel imac that I bought a year ago. I have a very good feeling this computer will be good to me for a LONG time, even after I'm done with college. It's dual core, it has more than enough graphics to power OS X quartz, whatever Apple will throw at us next. Gaming is another thing of course, but this runs 2005 and older games like a charm. Who said games before 2005 aren't fun to play?

I think the only other iMac that previously had this sort of power for its time was the first 2002 iMac G4. My mom still uses her to this day and it does day to day tasks BEAUTIFULLY. The Bondi blue was seriously limited because of the Rage graphics, and the later iMacs choked when running OS X.

I think you have to have a good sense of when a computer model has taken a big leap. The dual 2ghz G5s came out in Aug 2003.. they are 3 and a half years ago and they STILL run faster than some of the new Macs being bought NOW.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2007, 06:02 AM

The first Mac that I bought with my own money:
Performa 5300

It sucked, and it was my only Mac with a hard drive that died on me. It did have that cool TV-tuner MPEG card thing. So you watch TV and have glorious MPEG1 decoding !

The first Mac I used, heck the first computer I ever used. The SE/30, it was awesome. I think we owned it for 10 years untill the CRT died. Wasn't really worth fixing. I should have kept him.

I used lots of other Macs between the SE/30 and the 5300. My first colour Mac was the LC.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2007, 07:00 AM

My first Mac was an SE FDHD. It had Apple's high density floppy drive, 20 MB HDD, and I had it maxed out with 4 MB of RAM. It was great! I don't have a photo of it but I found a photo with Battle Chess running which I thought was the best game of the era.

Photo credit to All About Apple

kikkoman
Senior User
Feb 27, 2007, 08:01 AM

My 1st Mac was a Centris 660AV. I loved that machine. Unfortunately, it never realized the full potential of it's built in DSP.

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2007, 08:46 AM

First

First one bought with my own money:

As is pretty obvious those are not my pictures.......

"Learn to swim"

kc311v2
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2007, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by EricTheRed View Post
My first Mac was an SE FDHD. It had Apple's high density floppy drive, 20 MB HDD, and I had it maxed out with 4 MB of RAM. It was great! I don't have a photo of it but I found a photo with Battle Chess running which I thought was the best game of the era.

Photo credit to All About Apple
Battle Chess!! I was definitely fond of that game. I thought the rook was the coolest dude among them.
My first mac was also a Mac Classic. I have a pic of me using one at 4 yrs old somewhere.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2007, 09:45 AM

First: Mac Classic II

2nd: Performa 476

3rd: Performa 6200

4th/5th: Powerbook (Pismo) and Clamshell iBook

6th: 17" Lampshade iMac

7th: 20" G5 iMac

Current: 17" CD MBP and 17" C2D iMac

Paco500
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2007, 09:47 AM

My first Mac was a 512k

(that's not my picture by the way- just on eI found online)

Bought it used with high-scholl grad money.

Loved it.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2007, 10:00 AM

n/m
Michael

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 27, 2007, 10:08 AM

Depends. Family macs that I used:

Quadra 660AV.

Then Performa 5300CD, what a piece of ****. God I hated that computer. If I knew where it was I'd go light it on fire.

Then a Performa 6400 tower, that was a nice machine.... then, when I started my first year of college back in 1999, I bought a 1st generation iMac, 333mhz rev D. I still have pics of it's original setup...

I made a webpage for it back in the day, where I brag about my 'four gigs' of electronic music. haha. Here's a link:

Franken iMac

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Feb 27, 2007, 10:29 AM

I don't have any pictures of it, but when I was in middle school I saved my pennies from lawnmowing to buy my very own Mac Plus. This was in the early 90s, so the Plus cost me the whopping sum of $100 (which seemed like druglord money to me at the time) from a reseller. I inherited the Imagewriter II that my dad had bought when he was in college with the old 512ke (btw, that printer lasted until I left for college in 99 -- and even then, it still wasn't broken.) I also had some kind of external SCSI HD that it booted from, which improved its appeal tremendously.

I loved that Plus at the time. I could run Basic on it, play that lunar lander game and missile command, and write my papers in some ancient version of Wordperfect.

Jens Peter
Senior User
Feb 27, 2007, 01:07 PM

My first mac:

Specs:
600 Mhz
1 GB Ram
120 GB disk
Griffin Powermate
Palm Vx (Still working)
My old 2.G. iPod (died 6 monts ago..)

My iMac now lives with my parents - they like it too

Mithras
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2007, 01:21 PM

Sometime in high school I got a hand-me-down Mac Plus (stock photo):

I liked it fine -- Bolo was a fun game -- but it really felt like a downgrade from my kickass Amiga 500:

The Amiga supported a high-res 640x400 mode, and 4096 colors (but not at the same time).
Unfortunately I had to get the Mac for compatibility's sake with the school paper.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2007, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jens Peter View Post
My first mac:
I like the feel of your set up. Looks both cozy and alive.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2007, 01:45 PM

I got my PowerMac 7100/80AV in 1998 I think, then I bought the Ruby iMac in 2000. Also pictured is my family's Performa 6116 from '95 and my dad's PowerBook 5300cs.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2007, 02:00 PM

Macintosh SE FDHD. All you young'ins with your hard drives. I had only dual floppy drives and that was good enough for me.

Man, life was good when I got that 20 meg hard drive. I could actually load everything including System 6 on that hard drive, and I didn't need system disks optimized for different tasks.

Technically I started using Macintoshes on my parent's 512ke, but I didn't count that as it wasn't actually my computer.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2007, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post

Macintosh SE FDHD. All you young'ins with your hard drives. I had only dual floppy drives and that was good enough for me.

Man, life was good when I got that 20 meg hard drive. I could actually load everything including System 6 on that hard drive, and I didn't need system disks optimized for different tasks.

Technically I started using Macintoshes on my parent's 512ke, but I didn't count that as it wasn't actually my computer.
Ooh. Mine was a second-series (not the squirrel-cage version, and not yet the whirring fan, but the low-speed humming fan that sounded like a fishtank. (Coupled with the 20MB Seagate that didn't tick, but squeaked.)

Damn, I loved that machine. Een after I got the hard drive upgraded to a 40MB drive, and the RAM upgraded to 2.5MB - so I could run System 7.

Yeah.

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2007, 06:40 PM

Late with the switch,
Got it June 1st, 2000
Before that:

Nothing
Gateway 2000 286 Dx2 (Windows 3.1)
Gateway 2000 486 (windows 95)
And Gatway 2000 Solo Laptop (windows 95)

Pismo
$2,300, Parents got it for me as a High School graduati0n present.
Mac OS 9.2.2
400 MHz G3
64 MB RAM, later upgraded to 128 MB
20 GB HD

Loved it until June 1st, 2005, then gave it away when I got the first mac with my own money, the Powerbook 12".
( Last edited by Sub; Feb 27, 2007 at 06:53 PM. )

Rumor
Feb 27, 2007, 07:25 PM

Since using my first Mac.

Sawtooth G4. It was stock when I got it, now:

500mhz G4 (from 400mhz, I know, big increase)
1.25 gigs ram
120g hd
128mb ATI Radeon
Sony DVD burner

It's looking pretty decent that I'll be getting a 20" iMac in the next couple of weeks.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2007, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Sub View Post
Pismo
$2,300, Parents got it for me as a High School graduati0n present.
Mac OS 9.2.2
400 MHz G3
64 MB RAM, later upgraded to 128 MB
20 GB HD
The first PowerBook I ever owned was a Lombard PowerBook. I paid $3500 for it, and used it for PowerPoint presentations in medical school and residency.

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2007, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
The first PowerBook I ever owned was a Lombard PowerBook. I paid $3500 for it, and used it for PowerPoint presentations in medical school and residency.
I wish I still had my Pismo, it was so much more comfortable to just type on and use altogether, I like the plastic more than the "brushed aluminum". It is still in heavy use and holding up quite well too, the current owner uses it as his primary laptop, along with a G5 and says he is never going to get rid of it. The one thing I never upgraded was the OS, still has the original 9.2 on it.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2007, 09:40 PM

I got interrupted at work when I first attempt to post this and really didn't have the time to put it together there - kind of a crazy day for me.

My first computer was the trs-80 color computer

For the price and what it could do, not too bad. It produced a cult like following but in the end it could not really compete with the big boys, Apple and IBM. I also learned to program on that computer. Amazing what you could do with 4k of ram

Next I picked up

which was pretty cool in a number of ways - way more ram then the 4k was I used too.

But the world changed when I got one of these babies
Michael

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2007, 03:03 AM

No pics, but first my Apple was an Apple ][+.
Then came and Apple //e, and then a //gs. The //gs got me through college.

My first Mac was a Quadra 605.
Then came a PowerComputing Power 100, then a PowerCenter Pro 180.

When Apple bought out PowerComputing, I bought a blue & white G3.

Then came the year of darkness... the Dell 1GHz Pentium III Windows2000 box. Bought it right after Intel hit 1GHz (Motorola was suck around 500MHz or so). Grew tired of MacOS 9 daily crashing, and was impressed by the 99.9% uptime of my NT4 box at work. I was virtually Mac-less during this time. Still had the B&W G3, but rarely used it. The Dell was actually a very good machine, and Win2K + Office 2K was a very solid combination.

After OS X 10.2 was released, I went back to the Mac by buying a Quicksilver Dual 800MHz machine. Good machine. Then came a 1GHz Ti PowerBook G4, and then a dual 2.0GHz G5.

At some point between the 1GHz PBG4 and the 2.0GHz G5, I needed a Windows machine as well, so I built myself an AthlonXP machine (started life as an AthlonXP 2600+, upgraded repeatedly, eventually to an AthlonXP 3200+. Though technically its no longer the same computer since there are no longer any orignal parts in the machine, including the case. But it still occupies the same space in the universe).

Then replaced the first G5 with a dual 2.5GHz G5, then on to my current machine(s) - a MacBook Pro 2.13GHz Core Duo and a 2.66GHz Mac Pro. And the AthlonXP 3200+ is still happily chugging away behind me.

I think my wife will divorce me finally if I buy another new computer (though work pays for them all now), but I've been eyeballing parts at NewEgg.com to build myself an overclocked Core 2 Extreme X6800, nVidia GF8800GTX SLI machine if for no other reason than to play with it.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 28, 2007, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
I got my PowerMac 7100/80AV in 1998 I think, then I bought the Ruby iMac in 2000. Also pictured is my family's Performa 6116 from '95 and my dad's PowerBook 5300cs.
Don't those non shielded speakers muck with your CRTs?

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2007, 09:56 AM

i dont have any photos of my own - but here are my top 3

My 1st Mac - Powerbook G3 Wallstreet

2nd Favorite - iMac G3 graphite - i think it was 400mhz

3rd - current mac - iMac G5 PPC 1.9ghz

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Mithras
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2007, 10:01 AM

Three cheers for the Wallstreet. Still the most gorgeous PB ever, I think.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2007, 10:02 AM

found this old picture - when i used to be into everything mac

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2007, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
Three cheers for the Wallstreet. Still the most gorgeous PB ever, I think.
yeah it was nice until i saw my buddies pismo - those were sweet

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2007, 01:38 PM

My first apple was an apple ][gs, then my mom got a powerbook 100. A few years later I got an LC475. Now I have too many, need to get rid of some.

ImpulseResponse

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2007, 02:26 PM

My first computer:

Apple //e Platinum
80 Column Card
128K RAM upgrade
3x Serial Cards
Dual Floppy
Color 13" Screen
Mouse & Joystick
Forgot what it was called, but we had an 800 baud modem where you put the phone receiver on a rubber panel and it dialed in. Downloaded games from my friend's pirate board BBS.

I'm surprised I'm such a big Mac fan because my second computer was a horrible IIvx, and my 3rd computer was a horrible Performa 6200. However, my 8600/300 I got for my senior year in high school reminded me why Macs were the best computers ever.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2007, 03:27 PM

My first Mac was given to me. She was an old PowerBook 5300cs. Her power supply died last year. Here's an old pic of her with the PowerBook G4. 100 MHz, 1.1 Gb IBM HD, 42 Mb of RAM

The first Mac that I bought is my Power Mac G4 Digital Audio. She's been a good machine so far except for a dead video card which went out a few weeks ago. 533 MHz, 80 Gb 7,200 RPM HD, 640 Mb of RAM, Radeon 9800 Pro.

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2007, 03:57 PM

Original iMac, a beauty
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

Forum Links
Forum Rules