Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > "iPad Saturday" Buying Strategy

"iPad Saturday" Buying Strategy
selowitch
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2010, 08:52 PM

So, what's the best strategy for snagging an iPad on Saturday? Camp out at your local Apple Store starting when? Lie in wait at Best Buy?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2010, 09:09 PM

Have you pre-ordered? If so I'd just come a half hour before the store opens. If you're hoping to snag one, I think you may need to camp out from early in the morning. Depends of course on your area.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2010, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Have you pre-ordered? If so I'd just come a half hour before the store opens. If you're hoping to snag one, I think you may need to camp out from early in the morning. Depends of course on your area.
I have no preorder (I didn't see the need, silly me), so I'm hoping to snag one when someone fails to show up by 3pm and his/her iPad is released for sale to the general public.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2010, 12:13 AM

I'd just wait for the second batch that wasn't rushed through the production line in an effort to get as many as possible onto the launch day shelves.

Foe Hammer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2010, 06:34 AM

The odds of someone who pre-ordered not showing up by 3:00pm I would imagine are pretty slim, although circumstances do conspire and it is certainly possible. Plus (at least as of this writing) we're not sure how many extra (non-pre-order) iPads will be allocated per Apple Store. At the moment, if I had to seek one without a pre-order on launch day, I'd plan to make the rounds of my nearby stocking Best Buys on Friday night/wee hours of Saturday morning to check for lines and then join the one that's the most under 15 people or start one (I'm presuming you have several to pick from in your area there in MD, selowitch, and also presuming you called earlier in the week to verify which ones will be selling iPads on Saturday.) I think more folks will consider BB a crap shoot and/or not even think to check BB and/or will have not gotten the word (and believed it) that BB will be carrying them.

As far as first batch vs. second batch goes, I'm not as worried as WiskeyJak. There's a number of reasons for the big lag from the announcement on Jan. 27th to shipping March 29th, but one of them is undoubtedly to make sure that the builds are good. QC problems will be huge PR problems that Apple can't afford to have happen with this launch.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2010, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Foe Hammer View Post
There's a number of reasons for the big lag from the announcement on Jan. 27th to shipping March 29th, but one of them is undoubtedly to make sure that the builds are good. QC problems will be huge PR problems that Apple can't afford to have happen with this launch.
I don't know about that. Apple *frequently* has QC problems, particularly in the first runs. I love my Apple stuff, but I've never fully trusted their quality control, especially lately.
http://www.google.ca/search?q=apple+...ient=firefox-a

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2010, 12:32 PM

My strategy is to grab a latte and wait by my front door.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Some more useful ideas and caveats:

If you're going the Best Buy route, call first. IIUC the leaked Best Buy playbook said they should only sell all 15 if they know they're due for another shipment a week after launch, otherwise they're only supposed to sell 7 or 8, and hold back the rest.

If you're going to go to an Apple store, get there early, and try and pal-up with someone that bought more than one, and may be willing to let it go. I have heard (so take this with a grain of salt) some people reserved all three with the idea of deciding which one they really wanted the day of.

Half of The Unofficial Apple Weblog's podcast put out on Sunday covers this very subject. It may be worth a listen for you.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 30, 2010, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
IIUC the leaked Best Buy playbook said they should only sell all 15 if they know they're due for another shipment a week after launch, otherwise they're only supposed to sell 7 or 8, and hold back the rest.
Um, what is the point of that strategy?

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2010, 01:09 PM

You got me. I was thinking the same thing when I first heard it.

All I can imagine is they want every Best Buy to have one with each set of shipments from Apple, even though Apple isn't sending shipments to each Best Buy (after the first).

I don't really get it, since if they put them all on the shelf, they'll sell almost instantly anyways, though it was theorized BB isn't going to put the whole stock on the shelf right off the bat, and that they would only make one or two available per day, like they did with the Wii.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 30, 2010, 01:11 PM

I figured it might be the latter. I guess the logic is if you can get them in the store to buy a $400 iPad, and it isn't available, they might pick up something else?

Another reminder why brick and mortar can lick my balls.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2010, 01:34 PM

I think it's more than a little ironic we have a company known for of the world's most finely tuned user experiences mated with the world's most miserable retail plan.

Just WTF do people go to Best Buy anyway?

I have one in walking distance, and go:

1) To get an Airport Express for someone who needs AirTunes, stat.
2) The Gamestop across the street doesn't have what I want used.
3) There is no three.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 30, 2010, 01:42 PM

Gamestop? I didn't take you for being completely amoral.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2010, 01:54 PM

Is there something I don't know?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 30, 2010, 02:01 PM

I'm not a fan of their business strategies.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2010, 02:52 PM

I read the wiki article. Thanks for the tip.

-Q-
Mar 30, 2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
My strategy is to grab a latte and wait by my front door.
Quoted for brilliant laziness (and is my plan, as well!).

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2010, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Foe Hammer View Post
(I'm presuming you have several to pick from in your area there in MD, selowitch, and also presuming you called earlier in the week to verify which ones will be selling iPads on Saturday.)
Actually:
  1. I haven't called but probably should;
  2. There are three Apple Stores within easy reach of my home: Bethesda; Tyson's Corner, VA; and the Montgomery Mall which is in Rockville near its border with Bethesda;
  3. There are two nearby Best Buys with an "Apple Shop" are in Gaithersburg and Rockville, respectively. I assume the Wheaton store, which lacks an "Apple Shop," will not have the iPad, but perhaps I'll call.
  4. I am not even sure I want an iPad, since it's possible a combo of a Kindle and an iPod Touch would fit the bill for the same or slightly less money. But I still want to try an iPad before I make that decision.

Forum Links
Forum Rules