Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 10.3.5 reports

10.3.5 reports
iomatic
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 05:19 PM

From the Software Update panel:

updated ATI and NVIDIA graphics drivers

Let's hope; starting a thread. Will check it out...

sniffer
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2004, 05:41 PM

88 MB combo update from 10.3.3.

I've been waiting for this one. Hopefully there is some improvements from the crappy 10.3.4 GF5200FXGO drivers. D/L it in a couple of minutes...

*crossing fingers*

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Ryan1524
Senior User
Aug 9, 2004, 05:49 PM

i'm curious as to what it improves as well.

btw, before i install this update, should disable haxies or other preferences stuff that i've installed? like SizzlingKeys, or APE/Shapeshifter, etc ??
( Last edited by Ryan1524; Aug 9, 2004 at 05:58 PM. )
Ryan

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 06:08 PM

88MB O_O
just got the book yesterday and spent a good 45 minutes installing all the software updates.
iamwhor3hay

Ryan1524
Senior User
Aug 9, 2004, 06:16 PM

it's 43MB from a 10.3.4
Ryan

rareflares
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2004, 06:41 PM

someone was reporting they were finally able to run WoW smoothly after this update on their 12" rev. c.

looks like this update is definitely good news for 12" owners.

yongfook
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2004, 07:00 PM

1.33 15" here...no real noticeable changes.

I think mail.app switches mailboxes a bit faster now, but thats about it as far as I can tell.
http://www.yongfook.com

Ryan1524
Senior User
Aug 9, 2004, 07:18 PM

installed it. nothing much has changed. i don't feel any difference at all, except mail hecks mail much faster now.
Ryan

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 07:23 PM

I'm seeing that, plus snappiness, more importantly, in Battlefield 1942. Finally.

OK, back to work. All smooth so far, no problems.

Originally posted by Ryan1524:
installed it. nothing much has changed. i don't feel any difference at all, except mail hecks mail much faster now.

Ryan1524
Senior User
Aug 9, 2004, 07:38 PM

hm. as for snappiness, i'm not sure, i just ran xBench and it showed same results. at the moment i do feel everything is snappy, but that might just be because i haven't turned the CPU back to Automatic after benching.
Ryan

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2004, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by rareflares:
someone was reporting they were finally able to run WoW smoothly after this update on their 12" rev. c.
What is WoW?

Turias
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by Pierre B.:
What is WoW?
World of Warcraft

<shamelessplug>All of you in the beta should join the Reservoir DogCows, a Macintosh guild full of MacNN members. </shamelessplug>

sniffer
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2004, 08:23 PM

Update: Did a Q3 timedemo in 10.3.5 and the result was around the same as in 10.3.3, not sure if I ran with the same settings thought so this is not a accurate measure, but this is good news nevertheless. The timedemo results in 10.3.4 was bad even on "Low quality"..

(PB12" rev. C)

Arolte
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2004, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by sniffer:
Update: Did a Q3 timedemo in 10.3.5 and the result was around the same as in 10.3.3, not sure if I ran with the same settings thought so this is not a accurate measure, but this is good news nevertheless. The timedemo results in 10.3.4 was bad even on "Low quality"..

(PB12" rev. C)
I have a feeling this may be because you had to do a fresh restart after the update. The problem with OS X 10.3.4 and 12" PowerBook owners wasn't so much about making the nVidia drivers worse. It had more to do with waking the PowerBook from sleep and seeing reduced performance in gaming. In other words something with the previous drivers was conflicting with the sleep mode. It could however still be temporarily fixed by restarting the PowerBook and not putting it to sleep afterwards (use the screensaver instead).

If you really want to test if anything has changed, put the PowerBook to sleep after updating to OS X 10.3.5, and then try the timedemo. If the performance is still the same as before it was put to sleep, then the problem is solved. If not, then this update did nothing to fix the performance issues seen on 12" PowerBooks.

Ciber
Aug 9, 2004, 09:52 PM

WoW ran like crap before this update for me. My Powerbook never goes into sleep mode. Had the same crappy performance even after rebooting with 10.3.4.

t4r1q
Aug 9, 2004, 11:39 PM

cool, keep us 10.3.3 12" users posted

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2004, 12:23 AM

Games are back to their old selves now for me. 15" PowerBook 800.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2004, 03:39 AM

Originally posted by Arolte:
I have a feeling this may be because you had to do a fresh restart after the update. The problem with OS X 10.3.4 and 12" PowerBook owners wasn't so much about making the nVidia drivers worse. It had more to do with waking the PowerBook from sleep and seeing reduced performance in gaming. In other words something with the previous drivers was conflicting with the sleep mode. It could however still be temporarily fixed by restarting the PowerBook and not putting it to sleep afterwards (use the screensaver instead).

If you really want to test if anything has changed, put the PowerBook to sleep after updating to OS X 10.3.5, and then try the timedemo. If the performance is still the same as before it was put to sleep, then the problem is solved. If not, then this update did nothing to fix the performance issues seen on 12" PowerBooks.
Confirmed, but not in any scientific way of course: Timedemo showed positive results after sleep on my pb12" rev C. So it seems like its all good, at least for me.

dalcorta
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2004, 10:10 AM

Updated lastnight to 10.3.5 from 10.3.4 along with the security update on my PB pismo 500. On reboot, Safari would not open, software update would not access Apple, disk utility would not mount images but could go out to the web thru Camino and all MS office programs worked fine. Logged in under another account with no extraneous programs/files/additions and at start up the finder crashed, restarted, crashed with this endless cycle- never getting to the desktop. Under the other user, this did not happen and ran repair permissions but did not correct the probelms.

Any one else seen this probem? Any suggestions?
Can I down-grade to 10.3.4 by running the 10.3.4 combo upgrade or do I have to do a 10.3 clean install and then run the upgrade?
Thanks

dalcorta

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2004, 11:07 AM

Just ran XBench on my 12" 867 and it's 1% slower after the update! Yet Halo and MOHAA run just fine. Ah well, nothing's broke so that's progress in my book.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

Turias
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by WOPR:
Just ran XBench on my 12" 867 and it's 1% slower after the update! Yet Halo and MOHAA run just fine. Ah well, nothing's broke so that's progress in my book.
1% is within the margin of error, so I wouldn't worry about it. I bet if you ran it again, you would get different results.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2004, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by dalcorta:
Updated lastnight to 10.3.5 from 10.3.4 along with the security update on my PB pismo 500. On reboot, Safari would not open, software update would not access Apple, disk utility would not mount images but could go out to the web thru Camino and all MS office programs worked fine. Logged in under another account with no extraneous programs/files/additions and at start up the finder crashed, restarted, crashed with this endless cycle- never getting to the desktop. Under the other user, this did not happen and ran repair permissions but did not correct the probelms.

Any one else seen this probem? Any suggestions?
Can I down-grade to 10.3.4 by running the 10.3.4 combo upgrade or do I have to do a 10.3 clean install and then run the upgrade?
Thanks

dalcorta
Try resetting PRAM. I had a problem with SystemPanel crashing every time I tried to change the desktop background, resetting PRAM solved it. Also do the regular file permission repair with disk util. Additionally an third party app -Cocktail- which you can find at versiontracker.com can start several maintenance tasks that's hidden and built into the OS with a simple GUI. After you've done everything above, take a reboot just in case (perhaps not necessary, but I prefer to do it after maintenance), and see if the problem still persist.
( Last edited by sniffer; Aug 10, 2004 at 04:50 PM. )

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2004, 05:11 PM

No apparent difference right now with the 1.5 Ghz 17" in my opinion. Maybe an improvement will show up later.

LiquidSnake
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2004, 08:31 PM

Slightly speedier mail and finally Safari works with my account (online banking -Turkish- secure pages) i dont have to use the ie anymore
1.5 Ghz 17 everythink went well.Btw: I dont feel any differences but i am happy
Click here to visit my photo's
PowerMac G5Dual 2.0-2 GbRam& 160&400 HDD
MacBook Pro 17 inch Glossy 2 gig Ram
PowerBook 12 inch 1 ghz 768 MbRam
Sony VGA-A270 17 inch wuxga 1gbRam Radeon9700

Too Artificial
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2004, 09:16 PM

Just upgraded my old TiBook 550 with no problems to report so far.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 05:14 AM

Updated Alu PB 1.25GHz and works perfect !

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

yongfook
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2004, 08:02 AM

ok small thing I've noticed - the "genie" minimise effect runs a lot smoother now on my 15" 1.33...

after a day of using my updated computer, that is really all I have noticed!
http://www.yongfook.com

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 08:25 AM

I noticed that Finder no longer gives me a 'file can not be deleted because it is in use' kind of message when deleting files from the desktop that have been sent as attachments in Mail ... good

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 09:52 AM

TI 1ghz works fine after the update!

Voch
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 10:06 AM

Runnin' fine with my TiBook 667/DVI.

Voch

Calamity
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2004, 10:42 AM

My 1Ghz 12" is doing fine. Haven't really noticed any differences.

Keiretsu
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2004, 12:26 PM

10.3.5 together with all the other goodies this week makes a very (!) good platform!
I think it's the best release so far!

dalcorta
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2004, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by sniffer:
Try resetting PRAM. I had a problem with SystemPanel crashing every time I tried to change the desktop background, resetting PRAM solved it. Also do the regular file permission repair with disk util. Additionally an third party app -Cocktail- which you can find at versiontracker.com can start several maintenance tasks that's hidden and built into the OS with a simple GUI. After you've done everything above, take a reboot just in case (perhaps not necessary, but I prefer to do it after maintenance), and see if the problem still persist.
Sniffer-Thanks for the input. Solved the problem the convoluted way. Hooked the PB in target mode on dual 800ghz - reran the 10.3.5 combo updater. Won't boot- booted to 10.3 sys disk- ran disk utility to repair the disk (a couple of problems) then repaired a ton of file permissions, reset the PRAM, ran cocktail rebinding and voil�- booted. All is well. Beat having to start at 10.3.

dalcorta

giggs11
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2004, 10:38 AM

Just upgraded my 12" 1.33 last night... no problems so far.

sheer
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2004, 10:44 AM

I'm finding my fan comes on and stays on within minutes of plugging it in. The fan seems to be spinning a lot faster to as it's much louder. Even now I've had it unplugged 10 minutes and all it's doing is running a *my pictures* screensaver (albeit over two displays) and the damn fan's still spinning. 10.3.4 and below were NOT like this. Case seems hotter too. It's a Rev B 12" 1ghz, w/768mb.

If anyone knows a fix I'd be very grateful.

Edit: The displays have reached their 15 minute power down limit and it's STILL spinning.

Edit2: AFter a bit of a google, a pram reset, taking out the battery and resetting the PMU (shift+ctrl+alt+power) all seems well now. It seems the PMU settings can occasionally fubar.
( Last edited by sheer; Aug 12, 2004 at 11:27 AM. )

strokemouth
Aug 12, 2004, 08:35 PM

This FINALLY fixed my problem where the display would automatically adjust to ambient light, regardless of whether or not it was turned on in system prefs! Woo!
15" PB/1.5 GHz/1.25GB RAM
40GB iPod Photo

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Aug 13, 2004, 08:28 AM

Originally posted by yongfook:
ok small thing I've noticed - the "genie" minimise effect runs a lot smoother now on my 15" 1.33...
What about the PB G4 15" 1.33? There are reports of sleep problems on PowerBooks as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules