Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Odd login screen issue w/ shapeshifter

Odd login screen issue w/ shapeshifter
djpluv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2004, 10:39 AM

with ShapeShifter 2.0 installed...whenever i logout, the login screen is bright and washed-out looking (it looks visibly different from the original...missing the horizontal lines, etc.). The login screen is normal-looking whenever i restart the system or just boot up normall...the only difference is seen after logging in, then logging out.

Has anyone else noticed this? Any advice?

Thanks - P

djpluv  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2004, 10:58 AM

Actually...i think it is APE that is causing the issue. Once I uninstalled APE (after uninstalling ShapeShifter) and restarted, the login screens look normal. I know it probably isn't a big deal...just wanted to know why that was happening.

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2004, 11:56 AM

Maybe APE was affecting the root contrast or something. Because if you add more contrast in universal access it ends up looking like what you're describing.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2004, 12:54 PM

ShapeShifter doesn't even touch the root processes... and it's strange if APE is the one doing it. Do you have any other haxies installed for APE?
click one

smeger
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2004, 03:19 PM

Yeah, I think it's really unlikely that this is caused by ShapeShifter or by APE. APE's can't affect root processes, and the login window is a root process.

I'd guess that you've got a strange color profile set and the color profile sticks after a log out. System Preferences -> Displays -> Colors.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

djpluv  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2004, 04:10 PM

Perhaps it is the color profile, though "Color LCD" is the one selected. I made my desktop wallpaper the background on the login screen...i noticed that it changes color slightly upon login, even though both pictures are from the same file. Weird. No biggie...thanks for the responses!

Paul

Forum Links
Forum Rules