Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook Ship Dates

PowerBook Ship Dates (Page 4)
gizzard
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2005, 09:59 PM

Wow. Mine arrived a day early too!

Originally posted by Magicite:
Mine did too, and it just arrived! I have to go pick it up now (it's sitting at my college's main post office).
Edit: Upon starting up, the optical drive buzzes quite noticeably. Does anyone else have this issue?
( Last edited by gizzard; Feb 8, 2005 at 10:10 PM. )

ichibod
Feb 8, 2005, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by gizzard:
Edit: Upon starting up, the optical drive buzzes quite noticeably. Does anyone else have this issue?
It did the first time, post that, no.

gizzard
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2005, 11:04 PM

I've restarted the PB about five times and the buzz still persists. I hope it'll go away after a while. If not, I'll take it to the Apple Store.

johnt519
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2005, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by iBabo:
ordered my 12" with combo drive on friday 2/4 using my new apple employee discount (W00t!)

UPS is lagging it big time. its been stuck in anchorage all day... the suspense is killing me. my ibook g3/600 is long overdue for an upgrade. its supposed to come by the 10th...
Awww! Ordered mine on Friday 2/4 too and no sign of shipping!

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2005, 11:33 PM

oh, it got to work nice and early. But have been playing with it since I got home.

FedEx even called me on my cell while I was on my way, to make sure the address was correct and confirmed shipping.

Joy. Day off tomorrow to party on my PB
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

ichibod
Feb 9, 2005, 12:24 AM

I've restarted the PB about five times and the buzz still persists. I hope it'll go away after a while. If not, I'll take it to the Apple Store.
A buzz huh? Mine makes a clicking noise once and a while when the cd spins up but no buzzing. weird.

Magicite  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2005, 03:20 AM

Ditto. Not sure I'd consider it a problem though.

On a side note, I *love* the trackpad scrolling thing.
Goats and Monkeys!
magicite.org

pumpkinapo
Feb 9, 2005, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by jaknudsen:
Got a mail from Apple an hour ago:

"We regret to inform you that we must revise the ship date once again, as demand for the product remains beyond our expectations. We now expect to ship your order by February 15th, 2005."

Bummer... got a similar e-mail with a date of Feb. 17th last night. Guess I won't be getting my 17" PowerBook till month end.
Peter Leing
17" 1.67GHz PowerBook
450MHz G4 Cube

djpluv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2005, 11:47 AM

the 17th... thats nothing :-) I ordered a new 15" 1.67 w/ 128vram and the ship date is 2/22 :-(

pumpkinapo
Feb 9, 2005, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by djpluv:
the 17th... thats nothing :-) I ordered a new 15" 1.67 w/ 128vram and the ship date is 2/22 :-(
True, it's not that bad... just overly excited because it's my first laptop.
Peter Leing
17" 1.67GHz PowerBook
450MHz G4 Cube

LameLefty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2005, 04:54 PM

I received my 15" 1.5GHz/1 gig today and she is a beauty! Hardly bigger than my 14" iBook G3/800, MUCH faster and much better looking. I LOVE that I can synch my Palm Tungsten | T with Entourage via Bluetooth - I'm doing that as I type. I also love the fact that after I connected the iBook to the Powerbook I was able to copy over almost 40 gigs of stuff in less than an hour and be up and running in my familiar working environment just like that. Awesome! When I get home I have to change some things on the iBook so my wife can use it on the home WLAN without conflicts but after that, it's hers and I'm on the new one for good. The screen is big and bright with no dead pixels, the machine is quiet and COOL (much cooler than my iBook, in fact) and did I mention fast? I'm very, very happy with mine so far.

jamiep
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2005, 05:45 PM

From Fedex China's website:

In observance of Chinese New Year, many businesses in Asia will be closed between February 8th and February 15th.

Each year, this holiday creates a backlog of cargo and a shortage of vessel space. Please work closely with your vendors to book all possible cargo prior to this holiday.

Happy New Year.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2005, 11:49 PM

I got mine a day sooner than planned (I went to pick it up since Apple screwed up the address and all.) and it's great! I just wish I had time to get all of my Software on there.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2005, 03:43 AM

Just aside...

So are the new RevD PowerBooks available at all of the Apple retail stores?

I am planning to pick up a new 12", while on a trip in the US and will only be in the vicinity of a US Apple store for about a week. Thus the wait/order time to get in a Superdrive model can't be longer than a week.

Anyone know for sure that the RevD's are available in the store yet?
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

iBabo
Senior User
Feb 10, 2005, 04:02 AM

ahhh.. what a laggg... my powerbook is in anahiem... its supposed to arive tommorow (im in LA)... but i dont think ill be getting much sleep tonite
smile like you mean it.

U n i o n 0015
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2005, 01:21 PM

I just received my 12" PowerBook here at work. I've opened it but haven't started it up yet...have to wait until work is over to have fun.

But I'm glad it's here. Ordered on 2/1!
12" 1.5GHz Aluminum PowerBook G4
15" 1GHz Titanium PowerBook G4

Adham
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2005, 01:37 PM

Yes! At least here in the Washington DC area. I had put in an order via the online Apple Store for a BTO 12", but was dismayed by the long wait time. I ended up cancelling the order when I found out I could get one from my nearby Apple Store, and then just ordered extra RAM from another vendor (the Apple Store wanted $300 for 512MB of RAM!).

Originally posted by shabbasuraj:
Just aside...

So are the new RevD PowerBooks available at all of the Apple retail stores?

I am planning to pick up a new 12", while on a trip in the US and will only be in the vicinity of a US Apple store for about a week. Thus the wait/order time to get in a Superdrive model can't be longer than a week.

Anyone know for sure that the RevD's are available in the store yet?
12" PB 768MB 80GB AE SD

markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2005, 02:28 PM

I finally ordered my stock 17" PB today.

ORDER DATE: 02/10/05 - 09:45 AM Pacific Standard Time
Estimated time to ship: 4-6 business days

Whew, this is going to be a long ten days. My 7K60 has already arrived; my one gig ram chip is here; even my external drive bay from OWC is here.

I can't wait!

Mark

markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2005, 05:13 PM

Ack. When you go to the Apple order tracking site, my shipping date estimate stretches out to the 18th.

Bleh.

faithfulanchor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2005, 05:41 PM

Dang, this sucks.
I ordered on the ninth and the estimated ship date is
"on or before 2/24"

CURSE THIS WAIT

ar1550
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2005, 06:42 PM

ARGH! My order was processed on 2/5, and the ship date since then was "on or before 2/10." Now it's on or before 2/22! This is even more annoying because I had to do a wire transfer, so Mr. Jobs already has my money. I realize that ADC purchases are at the back of the line, as it were, but it's frustrating that it wasn't updated until now and they didn't bother sending an email with the status change.
Guess I'm stuck on Windows only for a couple of weeks.

ar1550
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2005, 08:44 PM

Well now I'm just confused, because *NOW* it's reverted to on or before 2/10. This kind of psychological warfare must be against some kind of treaty or convention!

johnt519
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2005, 09:28 PM

WTF!?

Just checked my order - order placed on 2/4/05 with an estimated ship of 2/18. Well, I just checked and now it says estimated ship of 2/28!

zubo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2005, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by johnt519:
WTF!?

Just checked my order - order placed on 2/4/05 with an estimated ship of 2/18. Well, I just checked and now it says estimated ship of 2/28!

Same here, except my estimated ship was the 11th

Fiete5401
Feb 10, 2005, 09:50 PM

Jesus! Tracking on www.apecode.com/appletrack/ still tells me that my 17"-PB sits at a location that I can't even identify!
It says 'Arrived at EDC' for 3 days now and that's it!
My real life started at the age of 15: LC III - PowerMac 6100/66 - PowerMac B&W 350 - PowerMac G4 Cube 500 - PowerBook 12" 867 -- PowerBook 17"/1.67 GHz/2 GB RAM.

markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2005, 10:47 PM

Hm. Mine still says 18 Feb. Maybe it has to do with the shipping zip code.

Bah. This is a stock powerbook. They should send this thing out same day.

Oh, wait. I just checked and saw that the 18th is only a week from Friday. That's not so bad.

Mark

faithfulanchor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2005, 11:08 PM

Unfortunatly,
mine has also gone from the 24th to the 28th.
I have a bad feeling this might only be the beginning.

djpluv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2005, 12:07 AM

Ordered on 2/5... first it stated a ship date of 2/22. I just checked and now it's 2/28.

This is ridiculous. With being 9 months since the last powerbook refresh, you'd think they would have anticipated a large demand, thus have the supply on-hand to meet that demand. Just my 2 cents.

Brownjer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2005, 12:32 AM

You think you've got it bad? Well, okay, you do, but so do I. I ordered at 8 am PST 1/31 with an initial shipping date of on or before 2/7. They had some sort of part number SNAFU and mine got pushed back to 2/22. I was mad but could tolerate that, but NOW the shipping date's 2/28. So let's see, that's 21 business days after I placed the order and they promised shipping in 3-5 business days. Oh very nice indeed.
Long story short: This is going to be a very long, very impatient wait, and I ain't happy about it!
"In reality, it's an atom disguising itself as a warthog."

johnt519
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2005, 12:33 AM

WTF!?

Now they are just playing with my mind. I went back a little bit later and it was back to 2/18.

Just checked again.. and back up to 2/28!

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2005, 12:36 AM

The worst was still the early days of the PowerBooks... it would take like 4-6 months to get one! (My 180 took something like 5)

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Feb 11, 2005, 12:40 AM

Now they are just playing with my mind. I went back a little bit later and it was back to 2/18.

Just checked again.. and back up to 2/28!
Weird - mine was on or before 2/23 and then 5 hours ago I checked it was freaking 2/28. Now it's back to 2/23.

Oh well...

gg1234
Feb 11, 2005, 12:55 AM

As posted above guys, because of the Chinese New Year, many businesses will be closed between February 8th and February 15th. It's likely they won't even be assembling PB's until Tuesday.......

johnt519
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2005, 08:18 AM

Well, it's official:

Due to an unexpected supply delay, we are unable to ship the following
item(s) by the date that you were originally quoted:

Z0B6, PBG4 15/1.67/SD/CTO
will now ship on or before 02/28/2005

Great.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2005, 08:43 AM

Sorry to hear that.

What VRAM and HD did you chose with that PowerBook?
•

johnt519
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2005, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
Sorry to hear that.

What VRAM and HD did you chose with that PowerBook?
Upgraded both - 100gb drive and 128mb VRAM.

jamiep
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2005, 09:47 AM

My 17" badboy� ordered on the 31st finally shipped! of course, it was after the fedex cutoff, so it will sit in china untilm monday, but i'll have it in toronto by thursday at noon... we'll see...

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Feb 11, 2005, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by jamiep:
My 17" badboy� ordered on the 31st finally shipped! of course, it was after the fedex cutoff, so it will sit in china untilm monday, but i'll have it in toronto by thursday at noon... we'll see...
Same here - just received after Fedex cutoff in China. Estimated delivery is on 2/17. This is 15" SuperDrive, no BTO change.

gizzard
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2005, 12:24 PM

Apple will be taking my PB back and issuing me a new one. I hope I'm not without a laptop for too long...

jaknudsen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2005, 12:28 PM

Just got a shipping notification from Apple - yay!

johnt519
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2005, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by jaknudsen:
Just got a shipping notification from Apple - yay!
Lucky! I ordered the same config, two days later and I just got bumped to 2/28/05.

syanover
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2005, 07:17 PM

Well, it's official:

Great.
I got the same email

markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2005, 10:44 PM

Phew! It looks like buying a stock 17" saved me from being bumped. It's been over 24 hours now, and no bump E-mail. I guess 15" laptops are more popular and less available or something.

Sorry, guys.

Mark

philc
Feb 12, 2005, 03:57 PM

I have ordered a 12" Powerbook 1.5 super drive with 1.25GB ram and 100GB HD.

The device was originally supposed to ship on or before 02/09 which then changed to 02/25 and is now showing 02/16.

I am so excited, this will be our first portable MAC, my wife who designs currently has a PowerMac.

Phil

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2005, 04:04 PM

I ordered mine on Thursday and the ship date was bumped up a day to 2/16.

I called the store and they upgraded me to overnight shipping for free. And then today I got a shipment notification, 4 days early.

Woohoo!

iBabo
Senior User
Feb 12, 2005, 09:54 PM

ok, so my powerbook was supposed to come on thursday, i was at work (employed by everyones favorite fruit company).... so someone else was home...they tayed until 3PM.. UPS came at 3:27.. and so no powerbook on thursday...
so i said thats fine, ill stay home on friday, no work, ill get it for sure....
i was home... but i had gotten home from work (UPS said they werent gonna come until 2PM).... so im waiting.. i knock out at like 6:45... wake up at 7:30.... and im like.. wtf UPS didnt come.... i goto the door.. and i see a note.. they came at 6:55!!!!!
so now i have to wait until monday, and im soo pissed off that i just told them ill go pick it up myself.!!
smile like you mean it.

johnt519
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2005, 10:28 PM

Woo hoo! Just checked my status - it says it's shipped! Fedex, with a tracking number, which doesn't work yet.

This is 5 days before the original ship date of 2/18, and 15 days before the updated ship date of 2/28.

I have no idea if it's Fedex overnight, or "as slow as we can", because when I ordered I didn't have ANY choice of shipping methods. It just said "free shipping", with no way to choose other.

Oh well. Just have to wait until the tracking number is live... and I have to order some more memory....

ar1550
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2005, 10:50 PM

Woohoo! My order was originall supposed to ship by 2/10, then it was delayed to 2/22...but I just got home from work and it shipped! I was going to call tomorrow to see if they would upgrade it from the BTO 80GB to 100GB (assuming that a standard system would ship faster than BTO) or upgrade the shipping method, but now that it's on its way I'm quite happy.

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Feb 13, 2005, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by fortepianissimo:
Same here - just received after Fedex cutoff in China. Estimated delivery is on 2/17. This is 15" SuperDrive, no BTO change.
Ok mine is now in MEMPHIS TN - the estimated delivery as mentioned above is on 2/17.

My question for you guys: is Fedex always accurate in their "estimate"? Will they be earlier than what they estimated?

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2005, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by fortepianissimo:
Ok mine is now in MEMPHIS TN - the estimated delivery as mentioned above is on 2/17.

My question for you guys: is Fedex always accurate in their "estimate"? Will they be earlier than what they estimated?
Mine was in one day sooner. It took less than a day to get here from Memphis.

Forum Links
Forum Rules