Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > How does the Belkin pre-n router work with Macs

How does the Belkin pre-n router work with Macs
NordicMan
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2006, 12:44 AM

I have been reading several of the conversation threads here. There is quite a bit written about Linksys wrt54 routers. However, I have not noticed much about the Belkin hardware. Would someone(s) mind commenting on the Belkin router and how well it works with Macs? I am eyeing up the Airport Extreme, but I am curious about the Belkin device.

I have a G5, and G4, and an intel iMac, and a PowerBook, which I would like to be able to use wirelessly. In the locations in the house here, it would be helpful to have wireless, or I will have to put in ethernet all over, which is probably a good idea, but will necessitate some work. Even when I get ethernet through the house in such a way that things are hardwired, I would like to be able to use the PowerBook in various places.

brokecollegestudentF04
Banned
Dec 3, 2006, 03:36 AM

I have a Belkin 54G 39 dollar router.. works great.. Wireless is excellent.. I had a linksys WRT54G before but it wouldnt cut it.. So i got the belkin and all my macs connect wirelessly just fine
a MacMini on Airport Extreme, An iMac DV 400mhz with Airport and an iBook Clamshell with Airport all work great.. the other roomates connect as well on their various pc's and macs. Not a bad router for 39 dollars.. Ive got a 3com superstack hub connected to it as well. So it works.

Cable Modem
--
Belkin Router--Wireless Computers
--
3com hub
--
Hard wired computers

Thats how my network is set up

NordicMan  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2006, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by brokecollegestudentF04 View Post
I have a Belkin 54G 39 dollar router.. works great.. Wireless is excellent.. I had a linksys WRT54G before but it wouldnt cut it.. So i got the belkin and all my macs connect wirelessly just fine
a MacMini on Airport Extreme, An iMac DV 400mhz with Airport and an iBook Clamshell with Airport all work great.. the other roomates connect as well on their various pc's and macs. Not a bad router for 39 dollars.. Ive got a 3com superstack hub connected to it as well. So it works."

*Thanks a lot, broke college student, for the input. I was thinking about this pre-n router they have, but I noticed their G model, too.

How do you like the MacMini?

I wonder why there is not more on the Apple site.

I just was reading a pdf from D Link about their new dir 635 N 650 router, which is new. At first when I read about it, it said there was no software disc for Macs, and so I passed on, as it sounded like it was only for pcs, but I downloaded their pdf on it, and it says that any Mac with ethernet can use it, but that the setup wizard is for windos.*

"Cable Modem
--
Belkin Router--Wireless Computers
--
3com hub
--
Hard wired computers

Thats how my network is set up
"

*I would have a DSL modem, router, hardwired Macs, notebook. I will have to read about that hub.

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2006, 04:58 PM

I own the Belkin N1 router, and it works fine.. Of course, since there is no pren drivers, I just get 54g speeds, but it works just fine as of now.

efaneuf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2006, 02:54 PM

Belkin Wireless N Notebook Adapter (N1) is listed as being MAC compatible. IT IS NOT.

1. MAC OSX 10.4 - no drivers for MAC and they have told me by phone - no drivers planned
2. 300Mbs - numerous internet sources say 54Mbs MAX currently till next year after the new standard is ratified (2008). Then there is no guarantee the router will even work with the cards they are saying. So this device is not much better a deal than the pre-N they sold. In Fact with the Pre-N router and cards you could at least get 100Mbs speeds. This one will NOT do that (according to the internet) unless you switch off Mixed mode (allow only N cards) BUT the router itself does not allow this option anyway. Either you turn on mixed mode to allow G cards too or you switch off wireless and use it only as a router. The web interface has just those two options

NordicMan  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2006, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by efaneuf View Post
Belkin Wireless N Notebook Adapter (N1) is listed as being MAC compatible. IT IS NOT.

1. MAC OSX 10.4 - no drivers for MAC and they have told me by phone - no drivers planned
2. 300Mbs - numerous internet sources say 54Mbs MAX currently till next year after the new standard is ratified (2008). Then there is no guarantee the router will even work with the cards they are saying. So this device is not much better a deal than the pre-N they sold. In Fact with the Pre-N router and cards you could at least get 100Mbs speeds. This one will NOT do that (according to the internet) unless you switch off Mixed mode (allow only N cards) BUT the router itself does not allow this option anyway. Either you turn on mixed mode to allow G cards too or you switch off wireless and use it only as a router. The web interface has just those two options
Thank you for your informatve response. I elected to just get an Apple Airport Extreme, and wait for the new 'n' standard to take effect, upon which Apple will make hardware available to the new standard.

Forum Links
Forum Rules