Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple fan releases iOS 7 concept video

Apple fan releases iOS 7 concept video
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Mar 21, 2013, 07:11 AM

An Apple fan, Mohamed Kerroudj has posted a couple of concept videos on where Apple could take its UI in iOS 7. Looking reminiscent of the flat Windows Phone design language combined with elements of Google Now and the new popular new Mailbox app for iOS, Kerroudj's approach has a minimalist style. Kerroudj's version of iOS 7 would have a much more functional lock-screen, while also removing the skeumorphism apparent in native iOS apps like Calendar.

Apple has typically launched a major update to its operating system on an annual basis, but it is not known yet how much of the forthcoming iOS 7 mobile operating system will be influenced by the minimalist stylings of Apple Senior VP of Industrial Design, Sir Jony Ive. Ive was put in charge of the iOS (and Mac) UI following the surprise departure of Scott Forstall, who was heavily involved in its development and design as the former Senior VP of mobile software. Many pundits have called for Apple to revamp its OS, although we aren't certain that change for change sake is necessarily desirable for Apple's hugely successful mobile OS.

However, there is no doubt that what Kerroudj has demonstrated in his concept video is intriguing, especially in the way he would have Apple clean up its 'bubble' notifications and other UI elements. Should Apple take note? It was previously so impressed with a fan concept for its Notification Center in iOS that it hired him. The rumor mill has Apple set to release the iPhone 5S in June, at which time it will likely release the next version of iOS. Observers will be keenly watching to see what Jony Ive and Apple's mobile software engineering team led by Craig Federighi delivers. [via Redmond Pie]

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Mar 28, 2013 at 05:00 AM. )

lkrupp
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2013, 09:09 AM

Why is some bozo's stupid video worthy of publication? I'll tell you why. He thinks he can sue Apple if iOS 7 has any feature even remotely similar to his 'concept.' The simulated 'iPhone?' is ridiculous looking.

vinnieA2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2013, 09:23 AM

I'll have my mockup ready tomorrow...who should I send it to?

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2013, 10:07 AM

The fonts are too small for current screen size. The person obviously didn't even test it out on real iPhone resolution. Also it's so Android-ish. Samsung, Verizon and many others like to implement their own skins over Android OS. This reminds me of that.

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2013, 10:25 AM

Too Android-ish. If I wanted a crappy interface, I'd have stuck with my crappy Android phone.

makemineamac
Mar 21, 2013, 10:32 AM

They wouldn't do anything like this of course, and I'm not a fan of everything he did here, but I still can totally appreciate the fact that he's excited about what the next iteration of iOS could be like.

Way to go man... Ignore the haters...

Gazoobee
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2013, 10:37 AM

Also, not really a "concept" video at all. This just shows some confusing notification stuff and a calendar made to look like an Android calendar. Also quite jarring visually when they are forced to show the actual iOS screen underneath.

A real concept video would show the general layout of the new idea, what's different, why it's different, and more importantly, how it all works. This just shows off some window dressing and gives you no idea how this would actually work.

Geoduck
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2013, 10:51 AM

Wow, you guys are so negative. I liked it. It's not perfect and because it's not from Apple, iOS7 is not going to be like this, but overall I liked the ideas. The more functional lock screen. Overall it has some ideas that would be nice to see.
Though I did not know the place, I set out for the land of my dreams
When I arrived at the land of my dreams, I found I did not know the place

Grendelmon
Senior User
Mar 21, 2013, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
Why is some bozo's stupid video worthy of publication? I'll tell you why. He thinks he can sue Apple if iOS 7 has any feature even remotely similar to his 'concept.' The simulated 'iPhone?' is ridiculous looking.
Then why did you bother to "comment" on an article you claim that isn't newsworthy? Who cares what you think, anyway?

It was a nice effort by an Apple fan. Jeezus, lighten up.

climacs
Senior User
Mar 21, 2013, 05:48 PM

skeuomorphism gets scaled way back as Ive takes over. I think that consumers are familiar enough with using PCs/tablets/mobile phones by now that they don't need to be reminded at every step of some familiar, real world analog to the digital counterpart.

cgc
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2013, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
Wow, you guys are so negative. I liked it. It's not perfect and because it's not from Apple, iOS7 is not going to be like this, but overall I liked the ideas. The more functional lock screen. Overall it has some ideas that would be nice to see.
How is that a lock screen if you can do all kinds of tasks from it? Why not just get rid of the lock screen altogether then? People dislike the concept video because it sucks, not because it wasn't done by Apple.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2013, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by climacs View Post
skeuomorphism gets scaled way back as Ive takes over. I think that consumers are familiar enough with using PCs/tablets/mobile phones by now that they don't need to be reminded at every step of some familiar, real world analog to the digital counterpart.
I think you're wrong, because every single user is unfamiliar with this technology at some point, and we've long reached the point where it's clear that many people just don't give a shit about technology as long as it gets out of the way of what they need to do, and will gladly pay to get technology out of the way. The less need to familiarize themselves with anything, the more effective. Skeuomorphism is a good thing, and it isn't going anywhere soon.

I DO think you're right that it will be toned down in those areas where people are even LESS familiar with a real-world counterpart — tear-off monthly planners and actual address books are becoming increasingly rare.

Also, it may not need to be stitched leather. But the people who keep bringing that up are completely missing the point about what skeuomorphism IS, and why.

qazwart
Mar 22, 2013, 12:16 AM

The problem is that all of these focus on the "Home Screen". This is the big problem with Android. They have all sorts of cool home screen stuff, but that misses the point. iOS is about the apps. iOS could use some refreshing, but the star should be the apps. I don't want to see fancy graphics and wizbang stuff. What I want is the ability to quickly find the app I want. The big changes to iOS 7 should be the back end: Better data sharing. Better data entering, Better way to handle the apps.
--

Forum Links
Forum Rules