Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Google: no new hardware at October 24 press event

Google: no new hardware at October 24 press event
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 21, 2013, 05:07 PM

While a new Google event at the end of the week is public knowledge, what is being discussed is not. Electronista has learned that there will be no new hardware debuting at the get-together, with a Google representative telling us that the mixer is intended for consumer press to familiarize themselves with Google Play.

When queried for more information about the content for the October 24 event, a Google spokeswoman told us that "the October 24 event will not be a launch of a device or hardware, rather a mixer for consumer press to better acquaint themselves with Google Play."

When asked for clarification, the same spokesperson confirmed the statement, reiterating that "there's no news [or] launch at this event."

The invitation itself provided little in the way of clues as to what exactly the event would involve, except that there will be "music, movies, games, and a special performance by Capital Cities." This is similar to an earlier invitation from the company, one offering members of the press breakfast with Android and Chrome head Sundar Pichai, and led to the launch of the new Nexus 7 and the Chromecast media streaming dongle. However, this time it appears that nothing will be announced.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Oct 21, 2013 at 09:36 PM. )

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2013, 05:41 PM

Thant's because Google (and Samsung) is waiting for Apple to come out with new idea.

carloblackmore
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2013, 06:38 PM

In other words, they needed to have something for the press to attend this week so Apple's even doesn't get all the attention unchallenged.

Geoduck
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2013, 09:06 PM

If tomorrows Apple event is as big as it is looking like it will be, the Google event will look pretty pathetic.
Though I did not know the place, I set out for the land of my dreams
When I arrived at the land of my dreams, I found I did not know the place

Forum Links
Forum Rules