Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > FCC proposes allowing cellular connections, calls during air travel

FCC proposes allowing cellular connections, calls during air travel
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 22, 2013, 08:21 AM

Passengers on flights in the United States may be allowed to use the cellular connection on their smartphones and tablets while traveling in the future. New proposals from the FCC come weeks after the FAA and European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) allowed device use at all stages of flight, and after the European Commission (EC) permitted 3G and 4G LTE connections during transit.

The proposals, reported by the Wall Street Journal, would reverse a ban by the FCC on cellular calls during flights, one that has been in force since 1991. A statement from FCC chairman Tom Wheeler confirmed the proposal, stating "Modern technologies can deliver mobile services in the air safely and reliably, and the time is right to review our outdated and restrictive rules."

An earlier attempt to lift the ban in 2004 was met by stiff opposition, with a total of 8,000 comments over the "lack of technical information" for its safety and the likelihood of it being a nuisance to other passengers being received by the commission. It decided against the move in 2007. Though the proposals are still being considered by a number of parties, if they were to be introduced, it would be down to the individual airline to decide whether or not to allow passengers to make or receive calls.

While it is possible that the airlines could limit cellular connections to just data and texts, banning voice calls entirely, such a system would effectively replicate existing in-flight Wi-Fi offerings from companies such as Gogo, and would provide little in the way of extra benefit. That being said, Gogo is working on allowing smartphone users to continue to use their phones on the plane by way of a mobile app, but such an app could just be limited to texts at launch, if only to avoid raised voices disturbing other passengers.

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2013, 11:26 AM

Just what we need to make air travel even more enjoyable than it already is - noisy, obnoxious, self-absorbed people talking on their cell phones.

Geoduck
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2013, 11:43 AM

I question the safety of allowing voice calls on aircraft. An hour or two of a couple hundred asshats yelling into their cell phones is likely to make a lot of people resort to brutal violence.
Though I did not know the place, I set out for the land of my dreams
When I arrived at the land of my dreams, I found I did not know the place

Flying Meat
Senior User
Nov 22, 2013, 01:32 PM

Meh. "Most" folks probably won't, but a few will.
Mostly, "Hi. We're in the air. Yeah. Ten minutes late, not too bad. I checked one bag, so I'll see you at the carousel. Okay. Ciao. Ciao... Ciao-ciao-ciao. Ciao." (Sorry Italy. I had to go there.

But you might pick up that hot stock tip, or that last recipe to round out your bean salad repertoire.

Forum Links
Forum Rules