Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > erratic sleep behavior - MDD dual 867

erratic sleep behavior - MDD dual 867
alternate_bit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2004, 05:57 PM

my computer has sleeping issues. when i force it to sleep it sleeps for a split second then wakes up. i reset the PMU and that fixed it for awhile, then it went back to doing it again. resetting the computer also fixes it temporarily.
this works no matter what house i'm in. i have tried it in other peoples' houses to see if power surges are causing the problem, and no luck. i have it plugged into a fairly nice surge protector, too.
this is on a newly formatted hard drive. it occurs with 10.3.4 and 10.3.5 only. it does not occur with 10.3.3 or 10.4. where are cron jobs stored? is it possible a cron job i used to run is causing this?
i'm open to anything here.

alternate_bit  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2004, 01:42 PM

In case anyone was wondering, I managed to get this fixed. It was caused, oddly enough, by my other problem (the fact that the display's USB ports were inoperable).
Something must've gone awry. There are LOTS of people (http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]/15) with this problem. It's difficult to say whether it's a hardware or software problem. I reinstalled the Apple Display software and then repaired permissions. There were several lines that mentioned a display permissions problem. When I restarted, everything is working peachy keen! Hooray!

I just thought I'd post a resoolution in case anyone else had this problem.

alternate_bit  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2004, 06:57 PM

d'oh. it was a temporary fix.

Starry Night
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2004, 11:24 PM

Originally posted by alternate_bit:
d'oh. it was a temporary fix.
I had a similiar problem. Turned out to be an issue with a Kensington mouse, switched to Logitech and the problem has not resurfaced in over 9 months.....

Forum Links
Forum Rules