Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac 24" Video out Adapter

iMac 24" Video out Adapter
m4c
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2007, 04:50 AM

What kind of Adapter do I need to connect my 24" iMac to my huge wide screen TV (maybe with S-Video or Composite)?

I have a Apple's Mini-DVI to S-Video + Composite adapter that I used to use with my iBook but it does not fit into the iMac's video port?
What kind of adapter do I need, I was not able to find anything on Apple's website.

Thanks

P
Feb 21, 2007, 06:40 AM

It's there, under Mac accessories -> Display -> mini -DVI to video adapter. I think the one you have may be an older model that is actually mini-VGA and not mini-DVI.

m4c  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2007, 11:15 AM

ok.. I didn't know there were 2 different types of video ports on macs... thanks..

Is there something that converts mini-DVI to mini-VGA because then I can use my current adapters (mini-VGA to VGA and mini-VGA to S-Videos/Composite).
Otherwise I would have to buy 2 separate adapters: mini-DVI to VGA and mini-DVI to S-Video/Composite.

ibook_steve
Feb 21, 2007, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by m4c View Post
ok.. I didn't know there were 2 different types of video ports on macs... thanks..

Is there something that converts mini-DVI to mini-VGA because then I can use my current adapters (mini-VGA to VGA and mini-VGA to S-Videos/Composite).
Otherwise I would have to buy 2 separate adapters: mini-DVI to VGA and mini-DVI to S-Video/Composite.
No. You have to buy the mini DVI accessories.

Steve

m4c  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2007, 04:48 PM

ok.. thats what I thought.

Before I get the mini-DVI to S-Video adapter I want to make sure it will do what I want it to do.
I am planning to hook up my iMac to TV to play a full screen video from WinXP/bootcamp using PowerDVD or WinDVD. Will I be able to do that? I have a 24" iMac with 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT graphic card. Do I need to worry about any driver issues? I have installed all the drivers that come with bootcamp.

I know on OSX you just plug in your mac to TV and it starts working. I am not too familiar with WinXP... will I have to do some hacking to make my iMac screen appear on TV?

Maybe if someone has done a similar setup can confirm that it works before I buy the adapter.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2007, 07:49 PM

If you're playing video on a big, widescreen TV, check to see if it has DVI input. If it does, get the MiniDVI-to-DVI adapter and a DVI cable - you'll get much better picture quality. If it doesn't, check if it has HDMI. If it does, you can get a second DVI-to-HDMI adapter (to plug into the Mini-DVI-to-DVI adapter) and still get better picture quality than S-Video.

Check to see which variety of DVI your TV has before getting the cable, though - there are, like, 3 different plugs that all claim the "DVI" name, so you don't want to buy a cable that won't fit.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

m4c  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2007, 12:59 AM

thanks for the advise.

I will be watching HD-DVDs so the quality does matter... I will check out what kind of video-in my TV has.

But before I buy the stuff it would be helpful if someone could confirm that WinXP/bootcamp on iMac 24" will be able to mirror the screen onto the TV without any driver or other problems.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2007, 11:55 AM

Umm...just to be clear:

You're aware that the 24" iMac doesn't have an HD-DVD player built-in, right?
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

m4c  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2007, 01:07 PM

Sorry if I wasn't clear... I am talking about playing HD DVD that is stored on my harddrive... just like you can store a normal DVD folder/image on your hard drive.
Due to the lack of HD DVD Software player in mac I am booting into XP/bootcamp and using PowerDVD/WinDVD.

But thanks for your concern.

Originally Posted by Oneota View Post
Umm...just to be clear:

You're aware that the 24" iMac doesn't have an HD-DVD player built-in, right?

m4c  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2007, 08:49 PM

I am confused about all the DVI Adapter and DVI cables.

My TV has a DVI-HDTV input. I am not sure what that means. I have a DVI-D Single Link cable connected to it so I am thinking that "DVD-HDTV" just means "DVI-D" Dual Link. I have a Sony KP-51WS500 if that helps.

2. The mini-DVI to DVI adapter sold by Apple is DVI-D Dual Link right? If I get that will I be able to connect the cable that I have (DVI-D Single Link) or do I need to get a new DVI-D Dual Link cable? And what is the difference (advantages/disadvantages) between Dual and Single Link?

Thanks

P
Feb 23, 2007, 10:14 AM

First up: What you need is a mini-DVI to DVI adapter and a DVI-DVI cable. That should do it for you. Check the connector on your TV to see if it takes DVI-I or DVI-D.

There is no connector called DVI-HDTV - do you mean DVI with HDCP? They could also mean DVI with the HDTV display mode (1920*1080@60 Hz) . This mode does not require duallink DVI.

ibook_steve
Feb 23, 2007, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
There is no connector called DVI-HDTV - do you mean DVI with HDCP? They could also mean DVI with the HDTV display mode (1920*1080@60 Hz) . This mode does not require duallink DVI.
I think you mean HDMI. Standard DVI does not have HDCP as far as I know.

Steve

m4c  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2007, 03:41 PM

Here's a quote from cnet (hxxp://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_KP_51WS500/4505-6484_7-9482070.html)

"Sony also includes a DVI-HDTV input, a multipin jack that delivers encrypted, high-definition video to the set. You'll need an HDTV tuner with a DVI output to take advantage of this digital connection."

The DVI input looks very similar to DVI-D.. it has 2 extra holes but I know that DVI-D Single Link cable fits in there.

So I am going to stop by the apple store and pick up the adapter and hook it up to the TV with the DVI-D Single Link cable that I have and will let you know what happens.

m4c  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2007, 08:52 PM

Got the adapter, connected with DVI-D Single Link cable to TV and everything worked magically on OSX.. no setting to change.. it automatically created Sony TV profile and set the right HDTV resolution without messing up my iMac's resolution.

On winxp/bootcamp I had to play around with the nVidia driver... ran the TV and Monitor wizard few times... adjusted the corners... got it to work but the refresh rate seemed too low on 1080 but 720 was fine. The quality of HD-DVD is really good. Thanks for advising me to get the DVI adapter instead of the S-Video. I will have to do some more tweaking with the driver but I am satisfied... until Leopard can play commercial HD-DVD so I won't have to boot in winxp.

m4c  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2007, 08:57 PM

P, ibook_steve and Oneota:

Thanks a lot guys for all your help!!
( Last edited by m4c; Feb 24, 2007 at 02:32 AM. )

P
Feb 24, 2007, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
I think you mean HDMI. Standard DVI does not have HDCP as far as I know.
DVI supports HDCP, but it is not required. HDMI requires HDCP support. Since DVI doesn't always have HDCP, you usually have to specifiy that somehow - I think that's what they mean by "DVI-HDTV".

Oneota
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2007, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by m4c View Post
P, ibook_steve and Oneota:

Thanks a lot guys for all your help!!
No problem! Glad it worked out for you!

Forum Links
Forum Rules