Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Videos on AppleTV, iPod, iPhone

Videos on AppleTV, iPod, iPhone
m4c
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2007, 02:24 PM

I hope this is the right place to ask this question.

I have non-DRMed DVDs that I would like to convert to a high quality format that is playable on AppleTV, iPod, and iPhone.

I would like to have h.264/aac/mp4 files with 2000-2500 bitrate and 720 X *** picture size but not sure if they will play on all 3 devices.

I would appreciate if someone can tell me what setting I should use on HandBrake to get the best possible quality that can be played on all 3 devices.

Thanks,
m4c

bmcgonag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2007, 05:18 PM

This is the specification for a Video iPod, hope it helps,

Straight from the apple site
"Video
Video formats supported: H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per sec., Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; H.264 video, up to 768 Kbps, 320 by 240 pixels, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats "

Brian
Brian <- That's me
www.osxtechtips.com

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2007, 07:48 PM

The capabilites of the iPod and the quality you'd want for watching on a large TV (via Apple TV) are very different.

I'd encode each movie twice, once using the iPod preset in Handbrake and another time using the Apple TV preset.

m4c  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2007, 05:02 AM

thanks guys for all the help.
it's probably best to encode separately for appleTV and iPods... even if iPod/iPhone did support a higher bitrate and resolution it's not worth wasting the limited space on iPod/iPhone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules