Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > end of school is teh crappyness!

end of school is teh crappyness!
cheerios
Professional Poster
May 3, 2002, 06:13 PM

I am stressed. In an effort to calm down, I'm going to share my stress with y'all, so you can laugh at me and tell me how minor my life really is...

#1: finals start on next thursday
#2: I have an essay due on monday. I JUST realized this. I have no topic.
#3: I have a powerpoint presentation on Precipitation Hardening in 20 minutes. I HATE aluminum at this point in life...
#4: I have a C/matlab exam due next thursday, plus an Oral. the problems are each a page long, and require a firm grasp of Calculus, up to ordinary Differential Equations. Which the professor, instead of explaining how to use the software he wants us to use, gave us a crash course in, in two days.
#5: I need a B on my ODE final, in order to get a b in the class and keep my GPA up
#6: this GPA must STAY above a 3.0, in order for me to keep receiving 20,000 a year to cover half my tuition.
#7: I need a job, ASAP, or I'm not moving out. I really CAN'T deal w/ going home, so this is a definite issue.
#8: Dear lord, does there have to be a #8???

Ok, feeling better now... not really, but I'll say so. Anyone else about to go insane?
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
May 3, 2002, 06:37 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 26, 2004 at 12:46 AM. )

digimage
Banned
May 3, 2002, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
<STRONG>Cheer up Cheerios... it'll all be over in a few weeks.

Ok. This may not help you now, but at least take comfort that I (and I'm sure other people here) wish you the best of luck.

And remember.... TAKE NO PRISONER'S! </STRONG>
Yeah, you'll get past this.
This is the easy stuff. Wait'll you get a mortgage and have a psychopath for a boss.

hang in there!

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
May 3, 2002, 08:13 PM

Hang in there, sometimes the sh_t keeps piling up and those are the times that "test" the old willpower. Do your best and when it's all over with you can say you did regardless of the results. Then get real drunk

Fortunately you'll find once you get out into the "real" world (reality being purely a matter of ones own perception) it's not all about tests and living up to everyone elses expectations constantly. The only exception may be with work, but that's only a small percentage of the bigger picture.

And while I see you do have alot of responsibilities and lots at stake here, just remember later on in life that when the sh_t seems to be piling up over your head it's best to flush the toilet I.E. sometimes you just have to say F-it, blow it off, be "irresponsible", whatever.

Mike

DBursey
Professional Poster
May 3, 2002, 08:22 PM

Good luck cheerios. Try to separate each issue and to tackle each one at a time. The largest mountain can with preserverence be divided into many small molehills.

Of course, who wants to deal with moles anyway?

Give your best effort, and as daimoni says, console yourself in the knowledge that it'll be over in a short (yet seemingly infinite) period of time!

maxintosh
Mac Elite
May 3, 2002, 10:24 PM

In the next 28 days:

- SATs tommorow morning
- AP exams all next week
- Graduation (good-bye my senior friends)
- Final english paper due
- Final physics project due
- Final exams
- SATIIs
- Getting a comprehensive list of colleges to visit
- Two big final track meets
- A Cappella recording studio
- Organizing clubs for next year
- Course selection & department approval
- Finding summer jobs (hoping Apple Store will accept application)
- Finding summer courses
- Nuclear warfare with my mother

**stress** :o :o :o

cheerios  (op)
Professional Poster
May 3, 2002, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by maxintosh:
<STRONG>- Nuclear warfare with my mother

**stress** :o :o :o</STRONG>
I empathise... A week and a half before we need to move out and I STILL don't have the $$ for a deposit!!! parents... first they wanna get rid of you, then they won't let go!!!
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

maxintosh
Mac Elite
May 3, 2002, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by cheerios:
<STRONG>

I empathise... A week and a half before we need to move out and I STILL don't have the $$ for a deposit!!! parents... first they wanna get rid of you, then they won't let go!!!</STRONG>
Heh, it's more of an issue that although I go to boarding school I have negative freedoms at home even though a) I've never, ever been in trouble, b) I'm a very strong and involved student, and c) I do nothing except help her out with my little sister, her cars, home repairs, shopping, everything!!

For instance, a friend and I were going to go to New York for a couple days and stay with another friend. She flipped out!!! She HATES it when I date guys, and knows that a friend/boyfriend sort of person is there... she even called me "mentally unstable" and "irresponsible"... go figure, considering because it's a same-sex relationship, the school had no way of keeping tabs on us. She then proceeded to call him "inner-city" because he's black and was on financial aid... I mean she's never even met the guy, and his dad is a radiologist or something. Good lord lady, give it a rest.

I should have never told her I was gay... she's making my life hell

(done ranting)

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2002, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by cheerios:
<STRONG>I am stressed. In an effort to calm down, I'm going to share my stress with y'all, so you can laugh at me and tell me how minor my life really is...

#1: finals start on next thursday
#2: I have an essay due on monday. I JUST realized this. I have no topic.
#3: I have a powerpoint presentation on Precipitation Hardening in 20 minutes. I HATE aluminum at this point in life...
#4: I have a C/matlab exam due next thursday, plus an Oral. the problems are each a page long, and require a firm grasp of Calculus, up to ordinary Differential Equations. Which the professor, instead of explaining how to use the software he wants us to use, gave us a crash course in, in two days.
#5: I need a B on my ODE final, in order to get a b in the class and keep my GPA up
#6: this GPA must STAY above a 3.0, in order for me to keep receiving 20,000 a year to cover half my tuition.
#7: I need a job, ASAP, or I'm not moving out. I really CAN'T deal w/ going home, so this is a definite issue.
#8: Dear lord, does there have to be a #8???

Ok, feeling better now... not really, but I'll say so. Anyone else about to go insane?</STRONG>
Don't worry, you aren't alone. I'm in the middle of my first year law school exams. A lot is riding on this (like about $110,000 in projected debt!), and I'm ready to pop also.

The only good thing I can say is at least I'm not taking the LSAT again. That was really unpleasantly stressful.

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
May 4, 2002, 12:18 AM

i'm on 2 week academic probation... as are half my friends for assorted reasons...
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

ReggieX
Professional Poster
May 4, 2002, 02:29 AM

cheerios: I grossed CAN$20,000 last year, and my rent is $850/mo. I owe like $700 in taxes which I don't have, they were due April 30.

maxintosh: wow, that's some serious bs WRT your mom. Ouch. Sounds like you need to drop some after-school stuff, that sounds like way too much.

Don't know what to say, kids, but keep strong!
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Mac Elite
May 4, 2002, 02:46 AM

<STRONG>In the next 28 days:

- SATs tommorow morning
- AP exams all next week
- Final exams
- SATIIs
- Finding summer courses

Sounds like me. Arg, I will start studying for my 5 AP exams tomorrow I think I can wing it though!

But ya, the stress is getting pretty hard. I just try not to think about it till I have to, and I always keep in mind that in the long run this stuff is not really that important, and that things will always just work out. My advice is just to go with the flow. Don't worry about it, just jump in and accept it, don't think about it and you will be fine. Don't overwork either, do whatever is required and then relax. This seems to work for me, I am about as stressed as I usually am during the summer right about now.

Scrod
Mac Elite
May 4, 2002, 03:53 AM

<STRONG>In the next 28 days:

- SATs tommorow morning
- AP exams all next week
- Final exams
- SATIIs
- Finding summer courses

Ahh, brings back such fond memories of high school.
I abused my signature until she cried.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2002, 04:24 AM

some a bowl guys and chill out.

and max, sounds like you need to ***** slap your mom and tell her to grow up.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2002, 05:16 AM

No offense intended to present company but, being a college student myself, I hate hearing students whine about the work they have to do. Just suck it up and get it done, it's not that hard and it's not like everyone else isn't in the same boat as you anyway. Just be glad you actually get a summer vacation...

As far as AP stress goes, this is how you deal with it. Have you been studying all year and keeping up with the work? Yes, you're likely to pass, it's not very hard to pass an AP test as it turns out. No? You're going to fail, it doesn't matter what you do at this point and seriously, who really cares anyway... All it means is you'll take an extra course in college (which in general I'd recommend taking even if you passed anyway). &lt;soapbox&gt;All AP tests are about is how successful your teacher was at "teaching to the test." My high school physics teacher didn't teach to the test at all and most of us failed. I took physics in college and did fine, not once did I even care about the AP test (which I passed, but it didn't give me any credit anyway). Eventually people will just have to figure out that grades and test scores don't matter, what you learn matters.&lt;/soapbox&gt;

[ 05-04-2002: Message edited by: itai195 ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules