Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Help with airport

Help with airport
baltovet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2006, 11:56 PM

I'm a hard core PC user....to the point of having built my last one from scratch. However, I bought my daughter a mac book pro when she went to art school in September, and I bought my son an iMac for his 6th birthday. When I bought the iMac, I set it up on my home network (which is a Linksys router) and it worked without a problem. When my daughter got home for her break, she attempted to get onto my network with her macbook, but has not been able to connect. I've set the WEP key properly, and the computer "sees" my network, but will not connect to the internet. When I went to check the iMac in order to help her, I found the same problem. I did have to change the router from channel 11 to channel 6 some time ago, but I believe the computers should pick this up automatically. All of the PCs in the house (4) are working fine, but the 2 macs are not. I've gone through the Network setup, but at the end it asks me to restart the router....which I've done. I'm then given the message that the computer is unable to connect.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'll thank you in advance.

ibook_steve
Nov 25, 2006, 02:08 AM

Wrong forum, but try putting a dollar sign ($) in front of the password on each machine. Check Help or Apple support or search here for the reason why.

Steve

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 25, 2006, 06:17 PM

We have a whole forum JUST FOR networking issues. Please pay a little more attention the next time you post.

If you had your daughter's MacBook Pro working on your network before she went off to school, I think that there's simply a difference in how she's connecting based on what she needs at school. Open the System Preferences application under the  (Apple) menu, then select Network. In the window labeled "Show", select AirPort and look at the options available. One is "By default, join:" Make sure it says "Automatic." The college IT folks may have set up a preferred network selection for her, and they may have set up a "location" as well. Changing the by default behavior will address the preferred network selection, but you might have to set up a new location if the location window says anything other than "Automatic." It's simple to do.

Final note: DUMP WEP IMMEDIATELY!!!. It's poo to put it mildly. All your stuff should handle WPA without any problem, and WPA actually works in securing your network, where WEP just gives you a warm feeling-one you should ignore, since it's not at all secure.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules