Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > There's fewer Mexican rapists inside our borders now

There's fewer Mexican rapists inside our borders now (Page 6)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 17, 2018, 01:46 PM

Sarcasm, subego.

"We've tried nothing and were all out of ideas!"

subego
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2018, 01:55 PM

Someone is going to invent a roboshucker then.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 17, 2018, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Someone is going to invent a roboshucker then.
...and in the meantime?

subego
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2018, 03:28 PM

Shucker union?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 17, 2018, 03:52 PM

Eh?

subego
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2018, 04:01 PM

I’m not really sure where I’m supposed to go.

Until they raise wages, we have less crab. Or am I (as usual) missing everything?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 17, 2018, 04:10 PM

Yeah I'm asking what they should do til they get those auto shuckers. A union is an employee thing not an employer one so I was lost as to the relevance. (Also they have like no employees)

Thorzdad
May 17, 2018, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
...and in the meantime?
Well, states are now free to impose work requirements on Medicaid recipients, so maybe bus a bunch in? They’ll probably work for cheap so they’re in compliance.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2018, 11:51 PM

Yeah I'm asking what they should do til they get those auto shuckers.
They’re supposed to offer better pay... or, again, am I missing something?

andi*pandi
May 18, 2018, 08:02 AM

It's occurred to you, it's occurred to us, but somehow, not to the employers.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2018, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
It's occurred to you, it's occurred to us, but somehow, not to the employers.
Exactly.

Which is why I’m confused by a request for a solution.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 18, 2018, 08:31 PM

They’re supposed to offer better pay... or, again, am I missing something?
Apologies, it wasn't a conscious effort, but I was trying to steer the conversation to give me a platform to bitch about the free market failing at its job.

As that's not relevant to this thread, I'll repost the other post I made that got quickly left behind by the page change.

---

"Or whatever." Makes you really feel the level of care Kelly gives to human rights.

https://twitter.com/cspan/status/996845374819192833
Originally Posted by Trump
"These aren't people. These are animals."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.7e774ce1e2f5
According to an email notification sent to Pentagon staffers, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) will make site visits at four military installations in Texas and Arkansas during the next two weeks to evaluate their suitability to shelter children.

The bases would be used for minors under 18 who arrive at the border without an adult relative or after the government has separated them from their parents. HHS is the government agency responsible for providing minors with foster care until another adult relative can assume custody.

The use of military bases to hold immigrant children is not without precedent. At the peak of the 2014 child-immigration crisis, the Obama administration used bases in Oklahoma, Texas and California to house more than 7,000 children over a period of several months.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.7d5046283fdb
A Senate subcommittee has found that federal officials lost track of nearly 1,500 migrant children last year after a government agency placed the minors in the custody of adult sponsors in communities nationwide.

The Health and Human Services Department says it uses its limited funds to track the safety of at-risk children, and could not determine where 1,475 missing minors had gone.

The Health and Human Services Department came under fire two years ago for rolling back child welfare policies meant to protect unaccompanied minors fleeing violence in Central America. An Associated Press investigation found that more than two dozen were placed in homes where they were sexually assaulted, starved or forced to work.
This (post) is up there as one of the more anger-inducing things the administration has done.

Bonus: https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/statu...44097829855232
Stephen Miller speaks at the "sanctuary state" roundtable, telling Trump "it's just an endless honor" to work for him and be a part of his crackdown, "even in any small way."
This is the kind of shit that I figured Miller was doing to have survived in the administration so long.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2018, 01:17 PM

Apologies, it wasn't a conscious effort, but I was trying to steer the conversation to give me a platform to bitch about the free market failing at its job.
Oh, I get it.

Turning away cheap, foreign labor is free market policy?

I stand by my earlier assertions that as a businessman Trump likes cheap, foreign labor.

Trump’s white, working class base? They Hate cheap, foreign labor. Haaaaaate it. Their attitude is **** what the free market sets as the value of labor, because labor is worth more.

My mistake was assuming Trump would try and split the baby. He didn’t. Any free market person would say (and have been saying) Trump’s choice to side with his base on immigration will be destructive to the free market and our economy.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2018, 04:15 PM

"Or whatever." Makes you really feel the level of care Kelly gives to human rights.

https://twitter.com/cspan/status/996845374819192833

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.7e774ce1e2f5

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.7d5046283fdb

This (post) is up there as one of the more anger-inducing things the administration has done.
My radical centrist take on these items.

1) I wouldn’t phrase things that way, but few Generals make good emissaries for human rights.

2) I have enough sympathy towards gangbangers and the circumstances which led them there to see how it’s destructive to call them animals. I wish people felt this way about racists, too.

3) I don’t see the problem.

4) This is horrifying, and the sad truth is it looks to be an improvement. AFAICT, this is the only data we have on this happening, because before October of last year, HHS didn’t even make this call.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2018, 07:05 PM

https://mobile.twitter.com/ananavarr...te=dailycaller

MS13’s are not your average gangbangers. These are the guys the Crips and Blood are afraid of. They make the Gambinos etc look like Scouts.
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2018, 07:16 PM

This doesn’t change my feelings about it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 20, 2018, 07:53 PM

Oh, I get it.

Turning away cheap, foreign labor is free market policy?

I stand by my earlier assertions that as a businessman Trump likes cheap, foreign labor.

Trump’s white, working class base? They Hate cheap, foreign labor. Haaaaaate it. Their attitude is **** what the free market sets as the value of labor, because labor is worth more.

My mistake was assuming Trump would try and split the baby. He didn’t. Any free market person would say (and have been saying) Trump’s choice to side with his base on immigration will be destructive to the free market and our economy.
It had nothing to do with Trump or the foreign labor. It was about the employers acting like they're out of options.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 20, 2018, 07:58 PM

My radical centrist take on these items.

1) I wouldn’t phrase things that way, but few Generals make good emissaries for human rights.
You're giving him the benefit of the doubt by stereotyping him by his career and ignoring all the context of his actions in the admin. Thats aggravating.

2) I have enough sympathy towards gangbangers and the circumstances which led them there to see how it’s destructive to call them animals. I wish people felt this way about racists, too.
I don't care about calling MS-13 animals. But Trump's statement wasn't that... specific.

3) I don’t see the problem.
Isn't the solution to a self-imposed problem of seperating families?

4) This is horrifying, and the sad truth is it looks to be an improvement. AFAICT, this is the only data we have on this happening, because before October of last year, HHS didn’t even make this call.
Semantic reply: It's not an improvement. It's merely an admission of reality. Admitting you lost kids isn't really much better than not knowing.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2018, 12:05 PM

You're giving him the benefit of the doubt by stereotyping him by his career and ignoring all the context of his actions in the admin. Thats aggravating.
Which actions have I ignored?

I think he should have apologized to Congresswoman Wilson about his mistaken recollection, however, it didn’t come from nowhere. Kelly was extremely angry at Wilson, and let that get the best of him. To me, he had right to be angry because my reading of the situation is Wilson made false accusations. Trump had the soldier’s name on a piece of paper in front of him. I knew this was the case even before Kelly confirmed it for me, because I knew that’s the procedure.

With Porter, the ends justify the means. If Porter is as good as he seems, I’d cover for him too. I’d also have taken Weinstein money, just like half of Hollywood. I’m not in a position to throw stones.

In and of itself, a hardline stance on illegal immigration is something I disagree with strongly, not something which demonstrates a fault in a person.

My biggest criticism of Kelly remains he isn’t rolling heads over Puerto Rico.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2018, 01:02 PM

I don't care about calling MS-13 animals. But Trump's statement wasn't that... specific.
It was in direct response to a statement about reporting MS-13 to ICE.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 22, 2018, 08:27 PM

It was in direct response to a statement about reporting MS-13 to ICE.
Let's be honest here – that means nothing because Trump is the king of non-sequiturs. Context can't matter because he so frequently ignores it.

The quote in question:
We have people coming into the country, or trying to come in — and we’re stopping a lot of them — but we’re taking people out of the country. You wouldn’t believe how bad these people are. These aren’t people. These are animals. And we’re taking them out of the country at a level and at a rate that’s never happened before. And because of the weak laws, they come in fast, we get them, we release them, we get them again, we bring them out. It’s crazy.

It's pretty vague. 'People'. You'd think he'd at least refer to them as gangsters or criminals. Or maybe it was a freudian slip. But may I remind you this statement came from the man who said this:

When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.

Is it really outlandish to read Trump's statement as referring to illegals as animals when previously he inferred most illegals were drug dealers, criminals and rapists?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 22, 2018, 08:35 PM

Which actions have I ignored?
http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...ugees-into-the
White House chief of staff John Kelly reportedly told other members of the Trump administration that if it were up to him the number of refugees admitted into the U.S. would be between zero and one.

The New York Times reported Wednesday that Kelly made the comment while the administration debated lowering the cap on the number of refugees allowed into the country.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...n-t-be-n845116
Kelly in remarks to reporters later Tuesday seemed to double down on his earlier comments about those eligible for DACA, saying "some of them just should’ve probably gotten off the couch and signed up."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.e71ef31f781a
In the late morning, before Durbin and Graham arrived, Kelly — who had already been briefed on the deal — talked to Trump to tell him that the proposal would probably not be good for his agenda, White House officials said. Kelly, a former secretary of homeland security, has taken an increasingly aggressive and influential role in the immigration negotiations, calling lawmakers and meeting with White House aides daily — more than he has on other topics. He has "very strong feelings," in the words of one official.
His opinion and actions speak for themselves.

In and of itself, a hardline stance on illegal immigration is something I disagree with strongly, not something which demonstrates a fault in a person.
C'mon, subego. This administrations stance is pretty hardline on legal immigration. That gives a different context about their attitudes towards illegals.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 19, 2018, 11:51 PM

Democrats are the problem. They don’t care about crime and want illegal immigrants, no matter how bad they may be, to pour into and infest our Country, like MS-13. They can’t win on their terrible policies, so they view them as potential voters!
"illegal immigrants…infest our Country"

But yeah, he totally wasn't calling immigrants animals.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 25, 2018, 11:38 PM

https://www.buzzfeed.com/salvadorher...mD#.tjnXbEoz7b
A California woman berated a Latino landscaper, calling Mexicans "drug dealers, rapists and animals," during a recorded rant that has spread online.

The unidentified woman can be seen putting her middle finger just inches away from 27-year-old Esteban Guzman's face, while he asks her, "Why do you hate us?"

"Because you're Mexicans," she says.

"We're honest people right here," Guzman tells the woman, who laughs.

"Yeah, you're rapists, and animals, drug dealers, rapists and animals," she says. "Even the President of the United States says so."
Shit, now his supporters are misunderstanding him!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 5, 2018, 10:35 PM

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...33658548207616
A vote for Democrats in November is a vote to let MS-13 run wild in our communities, to let drugs pour into our cities, and to take jobs and benefits away from hardworking Americans. Democrats want anarchy, amnesty and chaos - Republicans want LAW, ORDER and JUSTICE!
Does he think MS-13 is taking our jobs and benefits or is he conflating regular illegals with MS-13?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 8, 2018, 06:29 PM

Since you were sensitive to thinking you were being called out in the #MeToo thread, I sure would appreciate if you addressed the forgotten argument I keep accruing evidence for, subego

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2018, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
https://mobile.twitter.com/ananavarr...te=dailycaller

MS13’s are not your average gangbangers. These are the guys the Crips and Blood are afraid of. They make the Gambinos etc look like Scouts.
Really? Others, who likely know more about them than you obviously do, might disagree.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...=.ca26d3da17e9

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sns-ms...320-story.html

Sensationalism doesn't always match up with reality, and what does a U S founded gang have to do with Mexican rapists?
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 23, 2018, 02:33 PM

Probably the most relevant place for this.

Obviously big news around here.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/22/us/mo...psy/index.html

He used a fake ID.

In applying for the job, Rivera provided a state ID and Social Security card that was verified through the Social Security Administration's verification system, according to Lang. But those forms of ID were not of Rivera, he said.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 23, 2018, 02:42 PM

Oh lord, I forgot that's in your backyard

Forum Links
Forum Rules