Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP Froze

MBP Froze
zign
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2006, 01:42 PM

I woke up this morning and found my mbp froze. It had a screensaver on with still picture and a message asking to restart the computer by holding the ON button. Did that. Worked fine. I then left it on for a couple of hours and it froze again but this time with the dark screen.

Did the hardware test and it passed.

MBP 15.4, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 100Gb 5400rpm, ATI x1600 256mb, 10.4.6

I tried speedit yesterday, but wasn't running it when this happenned.

Any ideas? Anyone else had the same problem?
15.4 MBP 2.33Ghz C2D, 3Gb, 120Gb HD, 256MB X1600, 10.5.1
iPhone 8GB
http://palitsyn.com

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2006, 02:59 PM

You had a Kernal Panic.

The usual Causes are:

- Dodgy RAM (Where did you get your 2GB of RAM from?)
- Dodgy Extensions (Does speedit install any extensions? I have a feeling it may)
- Dodgy USB Devices
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

zign  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2006, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by RevEvs
You had a Kernal Panic.

The usual Causes are:

- Dodgy RAM (Where did you get your 2GB of RAM from?)
- Dodgy Extensions (Does speedit install any extensions? I have a feeling it may)
- Dodgy USB Devices
- The hardware test did not show any problems with the hardware. If it were dodgy ram would it identify the problem in the hardware test?

- It may have. Is there anyway to find out?

- I had no usb devices connected to the computer at the time. But I did have a DVD in, which I was watching a night before. I did quit the dvd player before going to sleep though.

Thanks!
15.4 MBP 2.33Ghz C2D, 3Gb, 120Gb HD, 256MB X1600, 10.5.1
iPhone 8GB
http://palitsyn.com

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2006, 08:41 PM

1) no I dont thinkthe hardware test shows. Youusuallyhave to remove the ram to test.

2) I'm not familiar with Speed It - but it probably would have installed something in /Library/Extensions (either the library folder in your home folder or the one in the root of your drive)

3) dunno
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

iomonk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2006, 03:13 PM

the same thing happened to me when i was using my wireless connection.
first i thought it was an error. but then i tried again turning on my wireless connection.
and after 5 minutes it happened again.
I've had my laptop a month and a half, and till now that screen has only appeared when i use my wireless connection. and sometimes i can surf for 15 minutes or half an hour without anything happening. and others it just comes out five minutes after turning it on. i was meaning to ask if anyone knew anything about this.

it is a grey screen that says "press your power btn several seconds to turn off your pc" and thats all u can do.

iomonk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2006, 03:16 PM

oh forgot. MBP 17" 2.16GHz 1GB ram 120GB HDD macOSX 10.4.6 (yesterday i updated it to 10.4.7, but still didn't check if it freezes again with the wireless)

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 28, 2006, 04:13 PM

I am in the same (frustrating) boat. I have a week 20 MBP 15" that has had intermittent and frustrating kernel panics. Originally I thought it might be bad RAM. I had bought 2GB from 18004memory. I've had great luck with them in the past, and had used 2GB in my previous 1.83Ghz MBP. I thought maybe I had a bad batch, but.....

1) I have had KPs with the Apple 512MB, although much fewer (strange)

2) I borrowed one of my friend's 1GB sticks from the same manufacturer and added it to the Apple 512, and had a KP within a few minutes of starting.

I am perplexed but growing pretty irritated. Anyone got ideas?
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

flanders
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2006, 01:38 PM

I started getting freezes w/black screen yesterday after the 10.4.7 update. Went back to 10.4.6 and running perfectly again. With mine, the screen would black on the MBP and then nothing. Hard restart was the only fix. Would sometimes happen on boot too. I could only keep it running for max 30 minutes for a while before deciding to go back to .6 release. I've got 2Gb of RAM (patriot from newegg) and I ran .6 for at least a month with no issues before this. The night before, I updated to 10.4.7 and the next morning (yesterday) I couldn't keep it running to save myself.
MBP C2D 2.16Ghz 15" Matte, 2GB RAM

flanders
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2006, 01:39 PM

FWIW, mine is a week 22.
MBP C2D 2.16Ghz 15" Matte, 2GB RAM

iomonk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2007, 10:35 AM

hmm sorry for not replying beeeefooooooooooooooorreeee.
i kinda forgot about this post. yep it was the ram
i got it fixed looooooooooooong time ago. the 2 gigs came from the store. i bought the laptop with 2 gigs. nways. all is perfect. nos since 6 months ago i think, jeje sorry bout that, thnx for the help

Forum Links
Forum Rules