Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Obama calls Palin a "pig," should stay at home with kids

Obama calls Palin a "pig," should stay at home with kids (Page 2)
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
He didn't correct him, because It wasn't a slip with Steponallofus, if you understand he meant bloggers/etc. was saying his Muslim Faith. He even clarified this.

He meant what he said, just not how it had been spun. Saying otherwise is pretty disingenuous.
It's pretty sad hilarious how much nonsense comes out of Obama's mouth when he doesn't read a script.

-t

zerostar
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2008, 12:24 PM

edit
( Last edited by zerostar; Sep 10, 2008 at 12:25 PM. Reason: done with this)

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 12:32 PM

Anyone know where New Pennsylvania is? I can't find it on a map.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 12:44 PM

I think the best liberal metaphorical insult that I have heard so far is Camille Paglia's description of McCain as a crusty old vampire that, after being struck, exploded into thousands of angry miniature McCains.

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 12:54 PM

A new ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZd_Y_D-RaA

John McCain is really hitting hard these days. Keep it up!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 12:57 PM

Christ on a tree, people, he didn't call Palin a pig. It's a proverb! He used TWO of them. He's referring to McCain's platform. Obama was saying that it doesn't matter how much McCain tries to dress up his platform, it's the same tired old Conservative Republican ideals; nothing has changed.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Christ on a tree, people, he didn't call Palin a pig. It's a proverb! He used TWO of them. He's referring to McCain's platform. Obama was saying that it doesn't matter how much McCain tries to dress up his platform, it's the same tired old Conservative Republican ideals; nothing has changed.
That doesn't matter. In the freaking CONTEXT that he used that proverb, it created (maybe unintended) an equation of Palin = pig. Hence, it was a stupid use of a proverb.

Look, there are tons of proverbs that use the word "black". If McCain used any of them describing the Obama campaign, people would get outraged. And rightly so, it just would be freaking stupid to do so.

-t

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 01:03 PM

We all know that. The point is the choice of words and whether they were a deliberate use of that phrase in a way that gets the audience all excited, and yet gives him plausible deniability.

At best, they should have been smart enough not to use that particular phrase at all.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by villalobos View Post
This said the comment was on the "change" that McCain, who is Bush's lapdog, is supposed to bring, not on Palin.
Back to the "lapdog" comment...

I think that what Obama's campaign is having difficulty with is that it's not going to be easy to invent some kind of total solidarity between Bush and McCain when most people know that McCain isn't anyone's lapdog. Even most Democrats know this as well:

"McCain is the one Republican who could have been competitive this year because John McCain does his own brand independent of George Bush.''
-- Rep. Artur Davis (D)

The original plan was for them to woo the electorate with Obama's charisma (personality) and try to pin McCain to Bush (Current President Approval Rating). There was a third rung to their strategy (The War), but that pretty much went out the window once the surge started working.

Obama does have a lot of charisma, and despite not having a lot of experience, does give a good "presidential" speech. The problem is that Obama's "newness" is wearing off and McCain just swiped the "rock star" mantle from him with Sarah Palin. Obama is now not the only youngish newcomer with charisma and personality on the scene. They now don't have a personality advantage. STRIKE ONE.

The war is already pretty much off the table, and at one time that was where Republicans where most vulnerable. STRIKE TWO.

I showed why the third rung isn't going to get them that many votes.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 01:08 PM

He meant what he said, just not how it had been spun. Saying otherwise is pretty disingenuous.
I understand what he meant, and that it wasn't a "freudian slip" or anything like that. It's just that the way he worded his response that made it sound wrong, and George caught it immediately. It was an unintentional verbal gaffe. Nothing major, but just one of a series of verbal gaffes Obama has made when talking off the cuff.

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 01:12 PM

In politics, what you mean is always secondary to what you say. It's unfortunate for Obama, who is used to the rarefied air of academia where you can speak freely to a thoughtful audience and have plenty of room to redact misstatements and clarify misinterpretations. In politics though, colorful words like pig must be avoided. Pig can be a slur in English, German, French, and I would imagine many other languages as well, so it is a word best avoided.

Liberals have been playing the word game vis-a-vis slurs for quite some time. Bush is a monkey, Blair is a dog, anyone connected with domestic law enforcement is a pig, whites are gringos, and so on. It's starting to get to the point where these words cannot be thrown indiscriminately at us anymore. Conservatives will now turn your criticisms of us back onto you if you ever call Palin a pig, or dog, or cat, or anything of that nature. The dynamic of who you can slur and who is off limits is starting to shift.

Edit: In related news, this pig business was already an official Democratic talking point before Obama made the gaffe.
( Last edited by Kerrigan; Sep 10, 2008 at 01:26 PM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 10, 2008, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
The only thing worse than all of the media attention over these stupid gaffes is the partisan football matches that are inspired by these.

Have fun guys!
I just think it's dandy that you can't just not participate...you have to point out to everyone that you're not participating. Well done, oh PL voice of reason.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2008, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
I understand what he meant, and that it wasn't a "freudian slip" or anything like that. It's just that the way he worded his response that made it sound wrong, and George caught it immediately. It was an unintentional verbal gaffe. Nothing major, but just one of a series of verbal gaffes Obama has made when talking off the cuff.
I don't think it was even a gaffe. It would be perfectly valid for Obama, or even myself, to say that someone has 'not been talking about my Muslim faith'. The reason they haven't been talking about it is that it doesn't exist!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 01:36 PM

Bunch of drama queens.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2008, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
Shows how desperate the Left is right now -- that's all they've got.
"The Left"? I thought Obama was with the Democratic Party? What has "the Left" to do with anything?

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 01:40 PM

This has to be one of the worst places to discuss politics on the internet.

I'm always thinking, "oh, politics, I wonder what the Macnners are talking about today... and, uh, oh, uh, WHAT THE HELL? Has the world gone retarded or what? What is happening here?"

The right wingers on this board are so hostile, arrogant, and irrational that it makes any sort of discussion impossible.
( Last edited by ort888; Sep 10, 2008 at 01:46 PM. )

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2008, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
This has to be one of the worst places to discuss politics on the internet.

I'm always thinking, "oh, politics, I wonder what the Macnners are talking about today... and, uh, oh, uh, WHAT THE HELL? Has the world gone retarded or what? What is happening here?"
This is why I only visit the P/W Lounge one every few months.

The right wingers on this board are so hostile, arrogant, and irrational that it makes any sort of discussion impossible.
I've dealt with plenty of overly hostile left-wingers in this forum as well. I'm not quite sure this statement is fair.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 01:58 PM

You've certainly done your part to raise the level of civility around here. Kudos.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 02:03 PM

Screw civility. This place is a f****** armpit.

And yes, there are plenty of insane and hostile left-wingers. Just not around here lately.

This isn't a place for discussion. It's a place to be called an idiot over and over again by closeminded blowhards.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 02:22 PM

And yes, there are plenty of insane and hostile left-wingers. Just not around here lately.

This isn't a place for discussion. It's a place to be called an idiot over and over again by closeminded blowhards.
QFI
(quoted for irony)

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2008, 02:33 PM

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2008, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777 View Post
I guess to turn fishboy's comments on their head - are the McCain supports so desperate that they have to twist everything into an argument about "hidden" meanings instead of policy debates?
lol

Right, that's what it is.
Obama is a whinny little girl. This is the game by which they all play by and just because he isn't benefiting from the gaffe this time around he is crying about it.
The RFK and fairytale comments were no less innocuous and his camp was still more than happy to let the media and public eat it up.
Of course the intent of the comments weren't what they are now being spun into but that isn't stopping him from sucking on the teat of the 100 year war every chance he gets. He should just start throwing around the word "hoodwinked" again and shut up about it.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 04:14 PM

I never ceases to amaze me the depth to which Democrats will descend to express their dislike for someone. Viacom liberals are tripping over themselves to get a guy to present the VMAs who has these lovely ideas for an MTV skit on Palin:

“I wanted to say [in an on stage gag] she was forcing her teenage daughter to have a baby because she is so anti-abortion.

“But also, as a Republican, she is pro-execution so she is going to give her the electric chair for being a little sl*t.”

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 04:32 PM

“I wanted to say [in an on stage gag] she was forcing her teenage daughter to have a baby because she is so anti-abortion."

“But also, as a Republican, she is pro-execution so she is going to give her the electric chair for being a little sl*t.”
Maybe they can get the Monty Python troop to do it. They'll have Republican and Democrats foaming at the mouth.

andi*pandi
Sep 10, 2008, 04:33 PM

If Hillary was told to "put on her big girl pants" and grow a thick skin, then so should Sarah. If it was ok for McCain to use the dreaded "lipstick on a pig" statement in reference to HIllary's programs, then it's ok for Obama to use as well. Sheesh.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 04:34 PM

Obama should use the word "niggardly," followed by a dramatic pause.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 04:50 PM

The ABC clip has been pulled. I wanted to see for myself what was posted in another thread. After Obama continues on with the fish comment, the crowd starts chanting "no more pit bulls" Has anyone seen it ?

edit: I found it and it cuts off where all the other clips do. Did anyone see this live?
45/47

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
If Hillary was told to "put on her big girl pants" and grow a thick skin, then so should Sarah. If it was ok for McCain to use the dreaded "lipstick on a pig" statement in reference to HIllary's programs, then it's ok for Obama to use as well. Sheesh.

There you go again, bringing up stuff the McCain wants kept quiet. The hypocrisy from the right is deafening.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 05:14 PM

La llama es una quadrupido. ¡Que vive en los grandos rios como el Amazonas! ¡Tiene dos orejas, una corazón, una frente y un pico para comer miel!

¡Pero esta provista de aletas para nadarrrrr!

¡Las llamas son mas grande que ranas!

¡Olé! Pero las llamas son peligrosas a su usted ve una llama donde hay gente nadando, usted grita:...¡CUIDADO! ¡LLAMA!

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 05:29 PM

Does anyone honestly believe that...

A. Obama is sexist
B. Obama is stupid enough to intentionally make this remark and mean in it in the context people are discussing

Honestly? Anyone?

How is this even in discussion? These candidates spend their entire lives speaking in front of groups and being recorded. They are going to make slip-ups. Must we linger for even a second on something as trivial and ridiculous as this? Seriously?

Is this what we've has been reduced to?

christ
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2008, 05:30 PM

Christ on a tree, people, ...
I take exception to this example of rampant anti-christ-ism.
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 05:31 PM

Yeah, pretty much.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
The outrage over the idiom "lipstick on a pig" clearing shows how uneducated the conservative base is.
How naive.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 05:46 PM

Agreed, that there is even a thread about this shows the desperation they are clinging to any little comment no matter how off base they are.
You have seen the polls, right? Want to talk desperation? Watch Obama's interview with Bill O'Reilly, he's flailing about and whining through he whole thing. Instead of trying to use the opportunity to appeal to the viewers he wastes it verbally sparring with an idiot like O'Reilly.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 05:48 PM

Does anyone honestly believe that...

A. Obama is sexist
B. Obama is stupid enough to intentionally make this remark and mean in it in the context people are discussing

Honestly? Anyone?

How is this even in discussion? These candidates spend their entire lives speaking in front of groups and being recorded. They are going to make slip-ups. Must we linger for even a second on something as trivial and ridiculous as this? Seriously?

You know, we asked that question in 2004, about the exact same issue, but the Left never bothered to ease up. Seems that it's the norm to go for the throat when there are miscues and mistakes, that's what we learned last election.

FYI, I think Obama made a mistake, but it was an error in speaking his mind when he should have kept his yap shut.
- Thomas Paine

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 05:55 PM

Anyone who thinks Obama was deliberately implying that Palin is a pig is an idiot.

Cthulhu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2008, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by christ View Post
I take exception to this example of rampant anti-christ-ism.
To let you guys in a little secret, it was actually a kabob stick. Azathoth was asking me what my secret receipt was for devouring souls and depleting sanity, I told him it's really easy: just set the sun to 125 degrees and let human simmer in its own juices.

Jesus was so good, I even got to have seconds.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 06:01 PM

I'll just assume you're the type to throw a tantrum when things aren't going your way and that this type of conduct by the MacNN left will just get worse as it becomes even more apparent that B.H.O. is going to lose.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
You have seen the polls, right? Want to talk desperation? Watch Obama's interview with Bill O'Reilly, he's flailing about and whining through he whole thing. Instead of trying to use the opportunity to appeal to the viewers he wastes it verbally sparring with an idiot like O'Reilly.
Did we watch the same interview? Every question asked was an attempt to trip him up. It was the most hostile interview I have ever seen. He couldn't even give an answer without having the interviewer nitpick over ever word. Obama was the one being asked questions. O'Reilly should have let him answer.

It felt more like an interrogation then an interview. That said, I loved it. I loved watching it. Every candidate should have to go though it.

I dare Palin or McCain to go into a similarly hostile interview. One where you get blasted with a dozen questions, every single one of which are designed to make you look bad.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I'll just assume you're the type to throw a tantrum when things aren't going your way and that this type of conduct by the MacNN left will just get worse as it becomes even more apparent that B.H.O. is going to lose.
The MacNN left? Are you kidding me? Several people on here have seemingly scared off all left-leaning posters, since there seem to be none to be found. I never post on this board. I ignore it. I just popped in recently to see what was up, since this election is so interesting. I am shocked by the behavior in here. It seems this entire board is in a constant state of tantrum.

I also love how you have to throw the H in there with the BHO.

Highlighting the middle name like that to try and play up people's xenophobia. nice move. Subtle, yet completely transparent and pathetic.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
You know, we asked that question in 2004, about the exact same issue, but the Left never bothered to ease up. Seems that it's the norm to go for the throat when there are miscues and mistakes, that's what we learned last election.

FYI, I think Obama made a mistake, but it was an error in speaking his mind when he should have kept his yap shut.
You mean the election you won?

With swiftboat ads?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 06:19 PM

The MacNN left? Are you kidding me? Several people on here have seemingly scared off all left-leaning posters, since there seem to be none to be found.
Thank you very much! If that's true, our work here has accomplished something quite noble. If only the leftists and the big government Republicans could similarly be chased out of their positions of power and influence, then we could get the country back on its constitutional path.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 06:35 PM

Maybe we need a sub Political Lounge where we can talk about actual issues?

Rumor
Sep 10, 2008, 06:37 PM

Maybe we need a sub Political Lounge where we can talk about actual issues?
First thread would be locked within 10 minutes.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2008, 06:38 PM

This thread needs to be locked for inaccuracy.

Here's the full story:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/feedarticle/7786322

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 06:41 PM

Thank you very much! If that's true, our work here has accomplished something quite noble. If only the leftists and the big government Republicans could similarly be chased out of their positions of power and influence, then we could get the country back on its constitutional path.
I still don't understand how having one party in government is constitutional or desirable? Again, we need more prominent and well supported parties before you can wish away one.

Rumor
Sep 10, 2008, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by iomatic View Post
This thread needs to be locked for inaccuracy.

Here's the full story:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/feedarticle/7786322
Seconded.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 06:47 PM

I still don't understand how having one party in government is constitutional or desirable?
I have explained to you at length my response to that question, and yet you continually repeat that I want single party rule. Does the message just not get through to you, or do you derive enjoyment out of making misleading summaries of my views that I have expressly rejected?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 06:52 PM

I have explained to you at length my response to that question, and yet you continually repeat that I want single party rule. Does the message just not get through to you, or do you derive enjoyment out of making misleading summaries of my views that I have expressly rejected?
So what party do you think will compete against the Republicans if the Democrats ceased to exist? It will take many, many, many years before the Libertarian party would have near the number of resources of the Republicans even enough to get on all of the ballets, and it is far from a given that today's Democrats wouldn't simply run under the other party's name, pushing their same positions.

You can dissemble a party but not the ideas that the party is comprised of, and you certainly can't rationally hope that leftist political views will cease to exist anywhere in the world where freedom of speech and democracy is embraced.

So, let's just cut to the chase here... This is just more political football. Yippee.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 07:03 PM

So what party do you think will compete against the Republicans if the Democrats ceased to exist?
As I said before, I envision an electoral realignment akin to the end of the Whig Party. I envision a permanent marginalization of the anti-American, anti-Constitutional left-wing radical ideology and a consequent realization by the vanquished Democrats that the politics of entitlement, class-warfare, populist demagoguery and leviathan-type government are fundamentally anti-American and have no proper place in the American political landscape. I think the best time for this to happen is when the the radical leftist candidate the dysfunctional Democratic party put up this year once again goes down to defeat, as did his predecessors in 2000 and 2004. The Dems will be so distraught over their loss that their party will descend into endless infighting and mutual recriminations, and at that point there will be a great opportunity for such a realignment.

Am I predicting such a thing at this point? No, I'd like to see it happen. What I am predicting, and have been predicting since he locked up the nomination, is that B.H.O. will go down to defeat. And that will represent a stunning loss, particularly to those who thought they were assured of victory.

Forum Links
Forum Rules