Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Logo design

Logo design
Veltliner
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2009, 07:14 PM

I got bored by just writing my business name on my website.

I decided to create a logo for my photo business.

Basic ideas would use the round shape of a lens and the rectangular shape of the camera. Possibly the flower shape of the shutter. These are just the first associations. Which are probably, like all first ideas, cliches.

The designers among you, can you give me some tips for a good logo?

Or point me at good websites that show how to do it/show good logos?

I'd be designing it in Photoshop (I don't have illustrator or InDesign).

Thanks - very much appreciated!

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 1, 2009, 08:20 PM

First off, Photoshop is not the tool for logo design; Illustrator is. But since you don’t have that, there’s no point in harping on about it. Just make sure you keep as much as you can of the logo as vector.

For some sheer inspiration, go here: Logo Of The Day - Logo Design Inspiration, Gallery & Award Scheme!

There is what I consider quite a good walkthrough of how a (very nice, if you ask me) logo was created over on Spoon Graphics’ blog. It’s a bit focused on the actual realisation of the logo, and skips a bit over the creative process for creating the logo, though, which is of course your main objective at the moment.

Basically, I’d say the number one place to start when creating a logo is always a) the name, and b) the sphere. In your case, the sphere is photography, and the lens and camera are examples of elements from the sphere. There’s no link to your site, so I don’t know what the name you need to design the logo for is, but try starting with a pen and some paper, and just brainstorm different ways of presenting the name, or elements (minor or major) of the name, in ways that can somehow tie in with either photography itself or with something you consider an essential part of your photography in particular. Compare the connection in the Spoon Graphics walkthrough with the ribbon (as a symbol of life and vibrancy) and the letters v and w from the name.

The most important part, though, is giving it time. Sit down and brainstorm it out on paper several times. Give it a week, and have a brainstorming session with shapes and images that spring from either the name or the sphere for the logo, and after that week, look at everything you’ve got and decide which ideas have stuck with you and seem promising. Then start trying to put shapes together to form something coherent (still on paper—using an app for this kind of thing is too hampering, compared to free drawing). Don’t fire up Photoshop before you pretty much know what you want to draw in it.

This is all pretty vague (and just ideas, of course), but logo creation is a fairly individual thing, and it’s quite hard. Unfortunately, there’s no ‘manual’ of steps to take and what order to take them in, in order to create a good logo. But I hope this at least gives you some ideas.

Thorzdad
Nov 1, 2009, 08:28 PM

The best advice I can give without knowing specifics is "Keep it simple."
I see it a lot when a business owner comes looking for a logo...they want to include everything AND the kitchen sink in a logo. it's a simple matter that the business is their baby and they are too close to it. They see all the bits and pieces that are important to them and feel they need to represent everything.

A designer's job is to get to the core of the enterprise. The heart and soul, and then represent this as simply as possible (hopefully!) And, yes, your first ideas are clichés. But, so what? That doesn't mean they can't be handled creatively or, at the very least, interestingly. You need to do a lot of sketches first. That's pencil on paper.

Oh, and, I know you said you don't have Illustrator. I seriously encourage you to some sort of vector program (there are others that are a lot more affordable) to create your logo with, doubly-so if it is to include any type. Photoshop is a horrible platform for design. The vector art from Illustrator allows for the logo to be infinitely scaled, with sharp, clean lines. If you do it in Photoshop, you WILL run into a situation where the art you create does not scale cleanly.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2009, 04:49 AM

Thanks, Oisin, for the informative post.

I like that pencil and paper part.

I'm not sure yet if I will create a "readable logo" (displaying the full business name), or a "sign logo" which doesn't tell the business name, and you have to write it below.

Very interesting links, by the way.

I'll keep you posted how it goes.

I started sketching today, and it's a big fun. The shape of the eye, the eyeball, the shutter, the face, all this is very interesting to play with.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2009, 04:54 AM

I'll keep it simple, Thorzdad.

I know, drawing with Photoshop is a pain in the rear exhaust pipe.

But at the moment I really don't want to learn a new software program.

When I designed my newest postcard, I put all the text on shape layers - all vectorized.

There's a way in Photoshop to turns pixel shapes into vector shapes. Maybe I'll create a path and do it this way.

Or maybe I create a logo out of a photograph.

It'll be fun, and, as for doing it in Photoshop, I'll curse into a pillow (as a curse silencer )

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 2, 2009, 09:54 AM

On the wordmark vs. symbol choice, see this for some good basic hinters.

And here is a long, detailed description of a brand creating process, which goes through many of the questions you have to ask yourself (it links to the IdentityWorks article, as well) when deciding what you want your logo to symbolise, as well as taking you through the actual design process.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2009, 04:39 AM

Great links, Oisin.

My business name consists of three words. Quite long.

I'm thinking of creating one letter as a symbol logo, or adding a symbol to the styled name.

I also have a draft where the business name inside a double circle, which reminds of a lens seen from the front. It's like the writing on the lens, only it's my business name.

Still drawing.

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2009, 01:38 AM

I too am in the same boat, i have been brainstorming for about 3 days now. i have CS4 Master Collection installed so illustrator will be used for vector works. My only issue that i have is mastering the program to use it to its full potential
MPB 2.8GHz, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD
2TB Raid 1 setup, Wacom 12x19, 24" ACD, Bose SS
FCS 2, Shake, Adobe CS4, Lightroom > Aperture

andi*pandi
Nov 5, 2009, 02:07 PM

There aren't many people who use illustrator to its full potential, don't worry about it.

For a logo, keeping it simple is best, it should work as a form in black and white before adding gradiations and filters and web 2.0 reflections all over it.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 5, 2009, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
There aren't many people who use illustrator to its full potential, don't worry about it.
This is the sad truth.

(Sad mostly because I’m not one of those many people who do)
( Last edited by Oisín; Nov 8, 2009 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Negations too confusing. Clarification needed.)

andi*pandi
Nov 5, 2009, 03:46 PM

It's not sad to not know every nuance of Live Paint or whatever, you don't need it to make a logo. The tool doesn't make the creativity.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Nov 6, 2009 at 01:06 PM. )

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2009, 04:58 AM

It's not sad to not know every nuance of Live Paint or whatever, you don't need it to make a logo. The tool doesn't make the creativity.
But it helps to hit the nail, but not the thumb.

In my case, I don't have a hammer (Illustrator).

Hurts less

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2009, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
But it helps to hit the nail, but not the thumb.

In my case, I don't have a hammer (Illustrator).

Hurts less
You might wanna use a rock (MS Word) instead

-t

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 8, 2009, 06:00 PM

I think I was possibly a negation short and accidentally said the opposite of what I meant to say. But I’m not sure … I got confused when I tried to think about whether or where there should be a negation.

But I meant to say that it was the truth, and that it was a sad truth mostly because I’m definitely in the group of people who don’t know how to use Illustrator to its full (or even half-full) potential, but would like to be.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2009, 11:21 PM

Having read the nice clients from hell-thread, I sent myself back to the doodle stage (which comes before the stage where you could call the doodle a sketch).

Forum Links
Forum Rules