Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Iz Serioux Car Thread: CVT vs Manual

Iz Serioux Car Thread: CVT vs Manual (Page 4)
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2011, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
It'd be interesting to compare the braking and control of a Lambo on a big icy patch to the original poster's Subaru Legacy.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Subaru won that competition.
Fifth Gear: Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4 Snow Driving - YouTube
Who'd have thought that the Italians have snow in the Alps?

Get over it Eug. Lambo are owned by Audi. Audi own AWD.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2011, 07:36 PM

I'm obviously no expert but AFAIK, the Lamborghini and Audi 4WD systems are very different.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2011, 09:08 PM

Regarding the original post, I vote for manual any time and here's an example why: the road to my house is on a mild incline, long and travelled. One day a freak storm iced it. I turned onto it and saw about eight cars, stopped at weird angles in the first 400 feet. Using second gear and the clutch, I passed them all safely, and got home. 5 speed Honda CRV, great car.

andi*pandi  (op)
Sep 15, 2011, 09:42 PM

It'd be interesting to compare the braking and control of a Lambo on a big icy patch to the original poster's Subaru Legacy.
Hmm, never driven a Lambo... Shaddim, let's swap cars for comparison!
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Sep 16, 2011 at 07:43 AM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 16, 2011, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by jmiddel View Post
Regarding the original post, I vote for manual any time and here's an example why: the road to my house is on a mild incline, long and travelled. One day a freak storm iced it. I turned onto it and saw about eight cars, stopped at weird angles in the first 400 feet. Using second gear and the clutch, I passed them all safely, and got home. 5 speed Honda CRV, great car.
I've done the same thing in an auto by forcing it to stay in second gear.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2011, 04:06 AM

Still not the same level of control because not only is it the gear itself but how engaged the clutch is. You can ride the clutch a bit to further control the situation. If for example your in 2nd gear going down the hill and the resistance from the engine is still to much causing the wheels to start sliding you can depress the clutch a little to bring control to the situation. Its for this kind of control I kept my 25 year old prelude around for the Winter. I live in a very hilly city and worse the kind of snow we get is slippery wet snow not dry arctic snow so its even more difficult to drive in.

Side not, another thing a manual can do that you can't in a Auto is start the car with a dead battery or no battery if on a slight hill or if you got some people to push.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2011, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Hmm, never driven a Lambo... Shaddim, let's swap cars for comparison!
The girls haven't even driven the Gallardo yet, but mostly I think that's because it scares them a little. "Holy ****, it's too fast! AAAHHHH!!!"

BTW, it's really awesome when you know the guys who run the local airport.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Another example of control that is helpful is with ice and snow. You can reduce the torque to the wheels allowing for a smooth slow start by gearing up to 2 and starting from 2 vs first gear. The few times a year we do get snow this has been extremely useful.
Doesn't any decent flappy paddle let you do this? SMG does.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2011, 01:06 PM

Pretty much any automatic does too. I do it in my Accord all the time.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Doesn't any decent flappy paddle let you do this?
Yes, all your Porsches and Lamborghinis with flappy paddle (or thumb switch) have a snow setting on them.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2011, 02:22 PM

For going up a gradual incline on an icy road, usually I don't have a big problem with any reasonable automatic/CVT/planetary gear set car that's front wheel drive and which has decent all season (or winter) tires.

The main problem seems to be rear wheel drive cars.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2011, 10:06 PM

For going up a gradual incline on an icy road, usually I don't have a big problem with any reasonable automatic/CVT/planetary gear set car that's front wheel drive and which has decent all season (or winter) tires.

The main problem seems to be rear wheel drive cars.
I agree, the vast majority of RWD cars are horrid in those conditions. Not to mention just ridiculous amounts of oversteer in may setups. The back kicks out, and suddenly before you know it you're facing the other way. Of course, a good limited slip diff and posi traction helps a lot, but it can't beat a good AWD system.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules