Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > One finder with has no triangles for the folders

One finder with has no triangles for the folders
jeff k
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2013, 04:25 PM

Never seen this before, but one finder window I have (called Fine Art), has lots of folders fill with files, but no triangle icon on the left to open them. They do double click open ok. Any ideas? very odd...

reader50
Administrator
Nov 15, 2013, 04:54 PM

Can you post a screen shot?

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2013, 10:12 PM

READER,
THIS IS typical folder, all others I have have little triangle:

Can someone tel me again how to insert images into this forum? when I click insert images I get something that says enter url of your images????

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2013, 09:08 PM

R

on left is typical folder, just like hundreds of other I have.
on Right is this fluke, no triangles:

PS don't know why the jpeg does not enlarge, shouldn't it bigger for you? via imageshack.
( Last edited by reader50; Nov 16, 2013 at 09:47 PM. Reason: made image appear inline)

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 17, 2013, 08:18 AM

Do the folders that lack triangles have JUST files in them, or are there subfolders in them?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2013, 03:39 PM

they have many folders and files inside them.

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2013, 08:31 AM

Just curious...

Have you tried creating a new folder and then dragging all the files resident in the misbehaving folder to the new one (of the same name)?
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2013, 02:36 PM

thanks P, that worked!
Funny, one of my external hardrives have this same issue. Double click on it, the finder window comes up in own window, no triangles. But this being a root hardrive, not sure I can create a new folder to beat it.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 22, 2013, 02:57 PM

That solution suggests a folder flag (or finder .DS_Store) file is set incorrectly. You could use an invisibility utility to make all files visible, then delete the .DS_Store file from the folder that doesn't show triangles.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2013, 03:33 PM

thanks R, not sure how to proceed very complex. and remember this one is a root hardrive.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 22, 2013, 05:43 PM

Download TinkerTool. In the Finder tab, the top option is "Show hidden and system files". Check the box, hit the button to Relaunch Finder.

Open any folder (or drive root) that isn't behaving right. The .DS_Store file will be visible. Trash it.

Uncheck the "Show hidden files" box in TinkerTool, hit the button to Relaunch Finder. Send truckload of money to worthy cause EFF, since I don't accept beer.

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2013, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by jeff k View Post
thanks P, that worked!
Funny, one of my external hardrives have this same issue. Double click on it, the finder window comes up in own window, no triangles. But this being a root hardrive, not sure I can create a new folder to beat it.
Glad to hear things are working out. But the true expertise is not moi, but Reader50.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2013, 10:48 PM

Reader,
Tinker tool or Tinker tool system?
the first just seems to talk about fonts. Tinker Tool System, wont launch for some reason, says it's having problem with repair or something.

And this root folder for my external hard drive, this one does not have triangles, (original bad folder is fixed) can it be fixed? thanks.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 22, 2013, 11:24 PM

TinkerTool. The "system" version is a paid utility. Note that they have different versions for different OS X releases, so if you aren't on 10.9, you may need one of the older versions.

Click on the "Finder" tab on left. You may have reached the "Fonts" tab in the middle somehow.

If you can't figure out TinkerTool, try InvisibliX. It will open a "Drop" window space for hiding/showing specific files. Ignore that, go to the menu choice "Visibility". Choose to "Show hidden files in Finder". After trashing any .DS_Store files you want to lose, return to InvisiblX and choose "Mask hidden files in Finder" to return to normal.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2013, 04:20 PM

I'm on 10.9
Tinker tool says fonts , reset, that's it. Don't have energy to to invis.... I own both versions of tinker tool!
I would post a quick screenshot but don't have energy to do that either, this forum does not have insert photo.

sorry Low in energy today! (this is very draining stuff...)

Forum Links
Forum Rules