Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > "Do not connect a PC to the TV's HDMI input."

"Do not connect a PC to the TV's HDMI input."
Rumz
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2006, 11:33 PM

So, I just got a 1080p projection HDTV (Sony KDS-50A2000) and there's a note in the manual that says "Do not connect a PC to the TV's HDMI input. Use the PC IN (RGB IN) input instead when connecting a PC."

However, to display HD resolutions it seems to suggest that you must use the HDMI input.

Is there any reason why using a DVI > HDMI adapter to connect an Intel Mac Mini to this TV might be harmful? I was under the impression that this was doable-- is there something specific about projector HDTVs (as opposed to LCD / Plasma) that makes it undesirable or even hazardous to the TV's health to connect the PC's DVI output to an HDMI input on a projector HDTV?

The "PC Input" is just an analog VGA input that only supports up to about 136x x 76x resolution.

Or does it simply mean a Windows box when it refers to "PC" hehe... thanks in advance for any insight. Some quick searching didn't turn anything up.
MacBook Pro: 2.16ghz, 2GB, 100GB@7200RPM

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 28, 2006, 04:05 AM

as a non-native-english speaker, that is EXACTLY how I would interpret that line: "a computer has no HDMI, is VGA only.."

and: afaik, HDMI is just another word for "dvi" plus some additional "features" as DRM-transport etc... therefore: different plugs...

you get at the Apple Store DVI>>HDMI adapters.. I'm pretty sure, you do NO harm to your Mac nor your beamer (me jealous... )

MoparSteve
Nov 28, 2006, 11:19 PM

[QUOTE=Rumz;3221096]So, I just got a 1080p projection HDTV (Sony KDS-50A2000) and there's a note in the manual that says "Do not connect a PC to the TV's HDMI input. Use the PC IN (RGB IN) input instead when connecting a PC."

I was wondering about this too, the manual for my 40" Sony LCD has the same note, so its not projection specific...

Rumz  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2006, 12:11 AM

Well it's working fine so far hooked up to HDMI via a DVI -> HDMI adapter. I can't imagine what would be unique about a digital signal coming from a Mac Mini as opposed to a digital signal coming from another electronic component.
MacBook Pro: 2.16ghz, 2GB, 100GB@7200RPM

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2006, 12:31 PM

Pictures please!

I want to get a similar setup within the next 12-24 months and slim down my TVs to just one (from my current two clunky CRTs)

rclay6612
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2006, 06:30 PM

My Samsung 42" plasma had the same warning but the DVI to HDMI cable is running off the Mini without a problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules