Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Disney axes two Star Wars mobile titles, both less than a year old

Disney axes two Star Wars mobile titles, both less than a year old
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 4, 2014, 10:41 AM

Star Wars intellectual property owner Disney has suddenly discontinued two iOS apps, one of which was only released this year. Disney has pulled Tiny Death Star as well as Star Wars Assault Team from Google Play and the iOS App Store, with no warning to those with a financial stake in the arrangement.

Both titles were "free to play," with in-app purchases available. Tiny Death Star was built on the Tiny Tower engine by Nimblebit, and was a fairly well-regarded 8bit-styled construction title. Star Wars Assault Team is only five months old, and was a card-based tactical skirmish with middling reviews.

Nimblebit software's Ian Marsh said of the removal that the company is agile enough to survive the removal, but it was "a significant source of revenue for us, so it stings that much more." While Tiny Death Star was developed internally at Disney and is fully owned by the entertainment giant, Nimblebit recieved a portion of revenue generated from in-app purchases.

Both titles have, of course, not been deleted from devices, and still function. Users who have previously purchased either will still be able to re-download them from the applicable app stores, but they won't be updated again, unless Disney changes tack and re-releases them in the future.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Oct 6, 2014 at 05:41 AM. )

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 4, 2014, 03:31 PM

Boycott Disney properties. They have no respect for copyright licensees. They have a history of backstabbing people by withdrawing titles from the iTunes Movie store as well preventing you from downloading or streaming the title that you legally purchased.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

chucker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2014, 05:15 AM

I would join you except I really love "Frozen"

Lifeisabeach
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2014, 09:18 PM

Disney is on a major house-cleaning kick, it seems. They recently updated a couple other mobile apps (Mittens comes to mind) and when I ran it, I got a pop-up saying that the IAP option was removed. I just checked the App Store, and the game is completely gone from there also. That's a real shame, because this was a GREAT game and I was hoping for more content, even as IAP. If there was anything they should have removed, it'd be Where's My Water 2, one humongous turd of a sequel.

Forum Links
Forum Rules