Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Post your Mac Mini setup pics

Post your Mac Mini setup pics (Page 3)
DoFa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2005, 09:44 AM

Eveybody's desktops have clunky ugly mice. Mine included. All plasticy faux metal mouses miring the otherwise clean gorgeous Apple aesthetic.

Curses Apple! Why can't they swallow their pride and admit they are wrong on this one. They can keep the one button mouse, and offer an BTO 3 button mouse as an option for "power users". Why Apple is content to have millions of people spending money with other companies to replace their stupid uni-mices. All these pictures of iMacs and minis and hardly a single Apple mouse.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2005, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by DoFa:
Mine included. All plasticy faux metal mouses miring the otherwise clean gorgeous Apple aesthetic.

Curses Apple! Why can't they swallow their pride and admit they are wrong on this one. They can keep the one button mouse, and offer an BTO 3 button mouse as an option for "power users". Why Apple is content to have millions of people spending money with other companies to replace their stupid uni-mices. All these pictures of iMacs and minis and hardly a single Apple mouse.
AppleInsider claims your dreams might soon come true.

DoFa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2005, 09:50 AM

Great post Simon. I hope it's true. Remember, people had been asking for a low priced headless iMac/emac for almost ten years before it finally became a reality. So maybe there is hope that Apple is capable of reversing it's position on this one too.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2005, 09:56 AM

Great post Simon. I hope it's true. Remember, people had been asking for a low priced headless iMac/emac for almost ten years before it finally became a reality. So maybe there is hope that Apple is capable of reversing it's position on this one too.
True, after seeing Apple dominate over MS/WMA with the iPod/iTMS and introduce a $500 Mac, everything seems possible.

cliffom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2005, 01:55 PM

Just got my mini yesterday at the Apple store in Northridge. I got the upgrade package with AE, BT, SD, and 512mb of RAM (although I ordered a 1gb dimm this morning). So far I love it. Here are some pics along with my 12" Rev. B Powerbook.

http://www.cliffom.net/index.php?nod...&prevDir=/misc

Commodus
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2005, 11:26 AM

Hey, cliffom, now's your chance to post your completed setup (with 20" ACD and everything).
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

kbe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2005, 07:30 PM

DrWoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2005, 10:10 PM

My Ramblings:
http://karagitz.blogspot.com

cliffom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2005, 01:43 AM

Originally posted by Commodus:
Hey, cliffom, now's your chance to post your completed setup (with 20" ACD and everything).
Your wish is my command: http://www.cliffom.net/index.php?nod...&prevDir=/misc

nickw311
Senior User
Mar 31, 2005, 11:08 PM

I just got mine today. I have a 1.25, 40gig, 512MB Ram and the monitor is a 19" Dell UltraSharp. I built this 48"x18" bar to have it on and have a 36" bar chair.

http://www2.onu.edu/~n-walters.1/P6130080.JPG

Commodus
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2005, 07:06 PM

Some nice setups as of late. I have to like kbe's in particular, since I'm a sucker for minimalism and that's about as minimalist as you can get.

illume
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2005, 10:07 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Thade:

[B]Here's my recliner mini mac setup:

Now that's funny..CLASSIC

James -
Creating Something Wonderful
www.yogifish.com

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2005, 04:23 AM

the set-up from the London guy with that huge desk is so cool

brapper
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2005, 02:39 AM

Originally posted by vinster:
I actually have the 120GB LaCie and I don't find any of external drives to be particularly noisy. My music's on the LaCie.

The mini's used for PVR recording and DVD playback and it's very quiet.
what, in addition to the Mini, are you using for PVR recording (hardware, programs)
How's it working out?

hsl
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2005, 04:56 PM

and here's mine

sorry for the quality.. next time i'm going to visit it i'll bring my D70

15,4" MBP (late 2008), 2,53Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD | 27" ACD | 11" MBA, 1.6Ghz, 4GB RAM , 128GB | 16GB iPhone4 | 32GB iPad

The biggest fan of JoliOriginals MacBook, iPad and iPhone Sleeves!

fleaplus
Apr 4, 2005, 12:43 AM

1.25ghz mini

I purchased this 1.25ghz mini over the weekend and set it up for my mom and sister. Its rather fast, even with 256mb ram. Hopefully soon we can get a 15" lcd that won't take up so much room in the nook. Too bad my digital camera (Minolta Dimage X31) has such a grainy picture quality in these low light situations...
MacBook Pro (Mid 2007), 2.4Ghz, 2GB DDR2-667Mhz, 160GB, Superdrive, Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT w/256MB, 15.4" WXGA+ LCD

vinster
Senior User
Apr 4, 2005, 02:24 AM

Originally posted by brapper:
what, in addition to the Mini, are you using for PVR recording (hardware, programs)
How's it working out?
I've actually changed my setup a bit from the pics I posted. 1) I upgraded the TV to a 32" Sharp AQUOS and 2) upgraded the DirecTV to a HD receiver.

The EyeTV 200, included software and TitanTV web guide work very well. The EyeTV 200s recordings of HDTV broadcasts can be tweaked to playback in the original 16:9 aspect ratio. See this thread for details.

One thing I'm finding out about the whole media-center/HTPC thing is that it's somewhat of a hack / unintended use of the platform at present. Going the TiVo / DVD-recorder route would be a whole lot easier.
( Last edited by vinster; Apr 4, 2005 at 02:36 AM. )

vinster
Senior User
Apr 4, 2005, 02:29 AM

Originally posted by fleaplus:
1.25ghz mini

I purchased this 1.25ghz mini over the weekend and set it up for my mom and sister. Its rather fast, even with 256mb ram. Hopefully soon we can get a 15" lcd that won't take up so much room in the nook. Too bad my digital camera (Minolta Dimage X31) has such a grainy picture quality in these low light situations...
Hey fleaplus, I've got the same OS X mouse pad. (Picked it up at a shop called Micro Anvika in London, England but I live in Denver now). Where did you get yours?

fleaplus
Apr 4, 2005, 04:14 AM

Originally posted by vinster:
Hey fleaplus, I've got the same OS X mouse pad. (Picked it up at a shop called Micro Anvika in London, England but I live in Denver now). Where did you get yours?
I've got a friend who works at CompUSA, and he gave me two of them when I bought my Powerbook. I think they were supposed to be used as the floor models' mouse pads.
MacBook Pro (Mid 2007), 2.4Ghz, 2GB DDR2-667Mhz, 160GB, Superdrive, Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT w/256MB, 15.4" WXGA+ LCD

resuna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2005, 07:31 AM

Originally posted by Scarpad:
Sorry bouut that guys lemme try this again.....

My System
I notice you're using one of those mini laptop-style keyboards. I've got one and I don't use it... I'm actually using an old AT-interface keyboard with an AT-PS/2 adapter and a PS/2-USB KVM because I can't find another compact keyboard that doesn't suck.

Adesso MCK-84/86 ... best compact keyboard ever. They don't make 'em like it any more...
レスナ

resuna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2005, 07:38 AM

http://www.dvforge.com/themousebt.shtml

Actually, the Microsoft Basic Mouse works well and is pretty nice-looking. I must admit I was half-sexpecting some kind of mac-antimac explosion when I plugged it in, though.
レスナ

resuna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2005, 07:47 AM

I'd post mine, but you can't see the Mini in the photo I took, it's hidden behind the iPod Shuffle at the back of my "gadget shelf".
レスナ

Mad4Mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2005, 09:58 PM

Creative!

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2005, 01:07 AM

I just had to try it just to do it and say I did it so I could get it out of the way. There, it's done. Done and done. I did it. And now I am never going to do it again.

[Click] My see-through desktop(s). So freaking difficult to do, well, without a Tripod it's just frustrating, it was actually easy.

So there. I can now say I was part of the fad. The craze.

Of course since the display is what gets all the wires, it doesn't look really all that correct not having them there in the see-through part. Oh well, what are you going to do?
( Last edited by Jasoco; Apr 11, 2005 at 01:14 AM. )

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2005, 11:28 AM

You missed the iPod's screen...

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2005, 01:53 PM

If it were an iPod Photo, you can bet I would have tried. And if I had a TV there, I'd do the same thing!

icibaqu
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2005, 05:52 PM

so what happens when you want to move your screen?

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2005, 05:59 PM

It's just for show. If you even move from the spot the camera is in, it looks wrong. So it's just a way to show off your geekness.

I did it only because it's a fad, and I figured I may as well do it just so I could say I did it.

fhoubi
Senior User
Apr 13, 2005, 04:07 PM

Cool! Reminds me of this.
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

big fox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2005, 08:26 AM

I lent my TFT to a friend. sigh.

He will however return it later this week

Volker

Stecchino
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2005, 05:51 PM

Just wanted to say THANKS to all of you who took the time to post your pics. It's great to compare and see what other Macheads are into as well as learning of some cool accessories, etc.

Lucky8
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2005, 12:35 PM

Check out http://homepage.mac.com/stage8/Menu4.html
How do you guys get the picture up instead of the link?

Commodus
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lucky8
Check out http://homepage.mac.com/stage8/Menu4.html
How do you guys get the picture up instead of the link?
When you're looking at the image you want to link to, you can usually right-click it to get an option for a link to the direct image. In the case of Safari, the easiest thing to do is to choose Open Image in New Tab from the right-click menu, and then copy the URL from the address bar in that new tab. If you're using a browser like Firefox, you would choose Copy Image Location in the right-click menu instead, which saves you the step of visiting the new tab and copying the address from there.

When making your post, you then write the image link this way:

[ IMG ]http://homepage.mac.com/stage8/.Public/setup.jpg[ /IMG ] (get rid of the spaces inside the brackets)

Be sure that you're linking to the intended image size, and not just the thumbnail image.

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2005, 11:53 AM

My parents Mac mini.

Lucky8
Forum Regular
May 2, 2005, 02:11 AM

Here is mine..

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2005, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by DoFa
Eveybody's desktops have clunky ugly mice. Mine included. All plasticy faux metal mouses miring the otherwise clean gorgeous Apple aesthetic.

People have third party mice connected to their minis primarily due to the fact that Apple does not provide the standard mouse and keyboard with the mini. If they were bundled, you would see people using them.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2005, 03:43 AM

[unexpected double post]

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Stecchino
Forum Regular
May 2, 2005, 08:53 AM

Here is mine..

Cool desktop pic. Also, is looks like you're running ClearDock ?

stavrosbezas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2005, 11:47 AM

Shown :

Free Mac Mini (1.42ghz)
Free 17" Samsung LCD
FreeIpod (20g 3g)
Logitech MX Desktop (Wireless)
Bose Companion 3 Speakers

Not Shown:

Free 1g Ipod Shuffles (x2)
Free Xbox

I love this stuff! I'm planning on getting the Pioneer Superdrive and the Minimate (250gb maybe) in the near future. My 1gb RAM is on the way as well.

When I buy my house, the office will all be glass tables and furniture. It'll be like my own little NSA branch!

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2005, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by stavrosbezas
When I buy my house
I suppose that will be free too?

stavrosbezas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2005, 10:40 AM

I wish! I am really grateful for those free sites though, my fiance would never let me spend that kind of money to try out a mac. Now that I'm hooked, I can justify why I need to spend $3k on a powermac!

Nick_The_Beast
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2005, 11:44 AM

Well, after weeks of waiting, here (finally) is my mini setup

Pictured:

Apple USB Keyboard
PolyView V17E 17" LCD (Cheap but really good!)
Sennheiser PX100 Headphones
iPod 40GB (g3 with dock)
Mac mini 1.42/1GB RAM/80GB HDD/combo/AP/BT
Logitech Recharge Station
SonyEricsson T610 Phone
512MB Lexar JumpDrive
80GB Seagate Hard Drive in Generic Cheapo 3.5" USB2.0/Firewire Enclosure
8X DL LiteON DVD-RW in BlueEye 5.25" USB2.0/Firewire Enclosure
Kodak EasyShare Printer Dock
Logitech MX700 Wireless Mouse
MISSING: Kodak CX7300 DigiCam

And I Desperately need USB and Firewire hubs....But I also need more money so I'll live with it for now

Cheers

Nick

Lucky8
Forum Regular
May 3, 2005, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by stavrosbezas

Shown :

Free Mac Mini (1.42ghz)
Free 17" Samsung LCD
FreeIpod (20g 3g)
Logitech MX Desktop (Wireless)
Bose Companion 3 Speakers

Not Shown:

Free 1g Ipod Shuffles (x2)
Free Xbox

I love this stuff! I'm planning on getting the Pioneer Superdrive and the Minimate (250gb maybe) in the near future. My 1gb RAM is on the way as well.

When I buy my house, the office will all be glass tables and furniture. It'll be like my own little NSA branch!
How the hell did you get all those FREE stuffs?
I'm also registered with those FREE stuffs websites, but I've never got anything for FREE in my whole entire life.

stavrosbezas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2005, 03:05 PM

Well, technically it's not 100% free, it took a lot of time and an occasional $5-10 here and there (totalling about $100 for everything)

Your best bet is to join a forum like freeipodguide.com (which I am NOT shamelessly plugging) and trade referrals with people. Have them do your freemacmini and you'll do their freepsps.com (which you have no intention of ever receiving for free)

The barter system works fantastic.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 09:03 PM

No. SPAMMMMMMM!!!!!

Anyways. No.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2005, 08:12 AM

Here's my first shot with my new Mini (my PB17 is off to the side on an iCurve). The desk is very cramped but it'll do till I move later this year, then I'll get a larger desk and tame some of the wild wires in the background as well as giving my 17 equal play.

Mini.

Mini + PowerBook17
( Last edited by Randman; May 10, 2005 at 08:33 AM. )

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
May 21, 2005, 09:44 AM

Updated setup after my move to Berlin:

Yes, I need to get another mouse and white speakers.

hldan
Mac Elite
May 21, 2005, 10:47 AM

Here is mine..
Hey, I gotta have that cool water drop desktop background. Share the wealth, where did you find it?
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
May 21, 2005, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by hldan
Hey, I gotta have that cool water drop desktop background. Share the wealth, where did you find it?
I call to remember to have seen this one on a stock photo CD from the german MEV Verlag.

[email protected]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2005, 03:10 AM

My set up is published here:
http://homepage.mac.com/riendoorn/PhotoAlbum8.html
The 7 " touch screen replaces the mouse and with a virtual keyboard installed I don't need a keybpord either. Got 120 Gb of music on the minimate and the whole is connected to my amplifier. Works nice and even the lady of the house is impressed

Forum Links
Forum Rules