Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Can't empty trash

Can't empty trash
nextlevel
Jul 29, 2003, 04:27 PM

Sorry for a stupid question, but I cannot seem to empty my trash. It has two empty folders in it. I tried one at a time - no good. They are not locked and have no other apparent difference? Plus I just got a phone call from one person in my address book and they said they got a virus email from my system. What's the best way of determining the problem? Thansk for the help.

M

dru
Senior User
Jul 29, 2003, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by nextlevel:
Sorry for a stupid question, but I cannot seem to empty my trash. It has two empty folders in it. I tried one at a time - no good. They are not locked and have no other apparent difference? Plus I just got a phone call from one person in my address book and they said they got a virus email from my system. What's the best way of determining the problem? Thansk for the help.

M
The virus, unless it was part of an email you know you sent and it's a Mac virus may not have actually come from you. If you have a paid .Mac account, try running Virex to see if there's a virus. I'm sure there are other detectors available, that's just the one that comes to mind.

Run Disk First Aid to verify there's no damage to the file system (to do repairs you'll need to restart from your OS9 install CD or another startup volume other than the one you want to repair). It's possible your system thinks the files are in use, try restarting with extensions off and then doing an Empty Trash. If you hold down option, that can force the system to empty the trash.

If you haven't rebuilt the Desktop file lately, then you should. You can do that by holding down Command (the Apple logo key) and Option at the same time when you restart until you get a prompt that asks if you want to 'rebuild the desktop'. Click yes. Recommendation from Apple is to rebuild this way about once a month.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

nextlevel  (op)
Jul 31, 2003, 03:47 PM

Thanks dru

I don't have a virus. That part was incorrect turns out the person got an email with my name but upon closer look wasn't me at all.
It just happened at the same exacvt time as this trash thing.

As for the trash thing I tried rebuilding and restarting with extensions off both to no avail. What's in the trash are two folders but absolutly nothing in them. I haven't been able to gather any more info though. Thanks.

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2003, 04:20 PM

As for the trash thing I tried rebuilding and restarting with extensions off both to no avail. What's in the trash are two folders but absolutly nothing in them. I haven't been able to gather any more info though. Thanks.
Did you try option-deleting? That is, holding down the Option-key while emptying the trash?

nextlevel  (op)
Aug 3, 2003, 01:40 PM

Thanks Jacke. That seemed to do it. I know that is what you use for locked files without unlocking them, Maybe these were locked folders and didn't have the ability to unlock manually. Thanks again. It's good to see the can closed again. It was starting to stink in here.

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 4, 2003, 01:06 PM

Thanks Jacke. That seemed to do it. I know that is what you use for locked files without unlocking them, Maybe these were locked folders and didn't have the ability to unlock manually. Thanks again. It's good to see the can closed again. It was starting to stink in here.
Did the folders have custom icons? I had a similar problem where the icon file was locked, and since icon files are invisible they didn't show up in the Finder.

Forum Links
Forum Rules