Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Super newbie Airport base station and card questions!

Super newbie Airport base station and card questions!
MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2003, 09:26 PM

I think this is the right forum....

OK, guys, I'm going to be moving and will my GF and I were considering Airport as a solution since we have two Macs (my PM dual 800 and her Flower Power 600 iMac) that will need the 'Net. We'll have Earthlink DSL. I'm completely new to wirless/AirPort stuff, so any help is appreciated.

Questions:

1) Is it possible for each of our Macs to communicate with each other via the AirPort cards alone, without a base station? If so, could the DSL be going into, say, the iMac and then have it share Internet with my PowerMac in the other room via the AirPort cards, and not have a need for a base station? (This would be great, as it would save use $200.)

2) Which cards should we get -- old AP cards, or the AirPort Extreme ones? Do APE cards work in the older iMacs? I believe they might work in my dual 800.

I think that's it for now. Thanks for the help, guys!

cpac
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2003, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Questions:

1) Is it possible for each of our Macs to communicate with each other via the AirPort cards alone, without a base station? If so, could the DSL be going into, say, the iMac and then have it share Internet with my PowerMac in the other room via the AirPort cards, and not have a need for a base station? (This would be great, as it would save use $200.)
Yes, and yes. You just need to turn on internet sharing. It also might depend on how close these two macs are going to be (as base stations have better range than mere cards or "software base stations")

2) Which cards should we get -- old AP cards, or the AirPort Extreme ones? Do APE cards work in the older iMacs? I believe they might work in my dual 800.
Get the old cards. Why? #1 they're cheaper. #2, I doubt the new extreme cards will work with your Macs, #3, Airport is already faster than most cable modems/DSL connections, so unless you're going to be transferring a lot of really large files between macs, there's no need for the extreme...
cpac

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2003, 11:01 PM

Forget software base station. Just get a cheap wireless router and you'll only need one Airport card. Cheaper, better, safer and more reliable.
Oh, and neither of your comps are AE ready.

EDIT: Jesus, I just read that link I posted. Today that router is 39 bucks after rebates with free shipping! How could you possibly go wrong with a purchase like that? I've set a few of these up lately and they're great. Go buy one now.
( Last edited by aaanorton; Jun 11, 2003 at 11:06 PM. )

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2003, 01:37 AM

What aaanorton said. Airport basestation is ok but a pain as far as reliability and reach goes. Your Mac goes to sleep so does your network. Your Mac is switched off, so is your network. Your Mac is working somewhere else, so is your network.

And I had no idea you were moving in with the bird. Congratulations.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2003, 05:09 AM

Airport Extreme cards are only compatible with machines released this year (12", 17" PBs, newest MDD machines, etc).

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2003, 01:56 PM

i jus got an extreme basestation and regular airport card for my ibook, it rocks
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules