Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is Netflix worth signing up for?

Is Netflix worth signing up for?
Scifience
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 10:46 AM

I'm thinking about signing up for Netflix. The local video rental place has a terrible selection of the stuff I like to watch.

I realized that it might be a good idea to sign up since I've spent $80 this week on DVDs that I'll probably only watch once or twice.

Are people here satisfied with Netflix? Is it worth the $22 a month? I'm not a HUGE movie buff, but I do enjoy them (especially anime ).

Also, does anybody know of any special offers (like get a gift card for signing up, free month, etc)?

Thanks!

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2004, 10:49 AM

I love it. If the $22 is too much or the movies seem too much you can downgrade membership to fewer DVDs per month for about $13 if I remember correctly. It's a great service though. (I am, however, a HUGE movie buff)

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 10:58 AM

Netflix is awesome. Its fast, easy, and cheap. I would really reccomend it over blockbuster... There are no late fees, and its 22 bucks a month for having 3 dvd's out at a time.

mishap
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 11:11 AM

Yes, of course it is worth it--think about it.

There are numerous threads discussing this already in the Lounge--try typing a search.

Free? I think i got a friend code that will give you two free weeks (comes on all the movies i recieve). Two weeks is enough to get 6 dvds, probably.

Scifience  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 11:14 AM

I knew there were other threads; I was just looking for more recent opinions since I had read a few reports of service going downhill in recent months.

Thanks for the input!

Scifience  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by mishap:
Free? I think i got a friend code that will give you two free weeks (comes on all the movies i recieve). Two weeks is enough to get 6 dvds, probably.
That's just their standard offer.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2004, 11:22 AM

I'll chime in and say that I'm using Walmart's service. 2 movies out, $15.74/month. I think 3 movies is $18.74 and 4 is like $22.74. Great service, have watched a ton of movies over the last 3 months. Their first month is free, not just first 2 weeks.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2004, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by Gankdawg:
I'll chime in and say that I'm using Walmart's service. 2 movies out, $15.74/month. I think 3 movies is $18.74 and 4 is like $22.74. Great service, have watched a ton of movies over the last 3 months. Their first month is free, not just first 2 weeks.
but you're giving money to wal mart

paully dub
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 11:48 AM

I used Netflix last summer, while at the beach house. No problems, and they were pretty quick with the turnaround. Plus zero hassles to close the account. I plan on using them again this summer.

Personally I don't care how good Walmart's service is, I'm not using it. They certainly don't need my cash...

Adopt-A-Yankee

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2004, 12:07 PM

My biased opinion (I have Netflix and love it).

Pros:
- Unlimited movie rentals
- Great service (when near a larger city)
- Amazing selection
- Great web site

Cons:
- If you rent TONS of movies, you aren't prioritized as high as those who rent fewer movies (fair, but a somewhat difficult concept for some)
- Dependent upon the mail system (If you live in the middle of nowhere, it can take an extra day or two to get your movies)
- If you MUST have a movie, it's not guaranteed.

Tips:

Queue Like Crazy
Have an enormous queue. Pick movies you may not even want to see. If nothing else, it forces you in to prioritizing you movies. I have crap I've never seen and would never rent if I had to pay, but it keeps me honest. If nothing else, you will see a few movies you normally wouldn't watch.

Ice the Queue
When I want to make sure that I get a specific movie near a specific time, I'll not rent for a week or two. Magically, I'm prioritized at the top again.

Diversify your cluster
I rent in clusters (3 movies at a time) but I make it a point to select a diverse genera of movies. I don't rent three foreign films at at time, or three documentaries as I'll never get through them. I get a brain dead movie (Think "Road Trip" or "Animal House") in combination with a drama ("Monster" is my current one) along with an interesting one (such as a foreign film like "City of God")

Pattern your selections
Get a pattern going like "Monday send movies to netflix, tuesday AM, re-prioritize queue. Wednesday, watch movie, place in mailbox" etc. etc. My pattern lets me rent a considerable amount of movies

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2004, 12:08 PM

Wal-Mart also has VERY few distribution centers. If you aren't near one, add another two days round trip for your movies.

SouthPaW1227
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2004, 12:32 PM

If you have a PC w/ a DVD Burner, NetFlix is TOTALLY worth signing up for

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2004, 12:37 PM

I had Netflix years ago when I was in college. It was worth it as long as I kept watching DVDs, but when a few months would go by and I was too busy to watch the ones I had out, it seemed like a waste of cash, and I cancelled my account. I still don't rent movies all that often, though I guess I could if I wanted to. If you consistently rent more than 4 movies a month then it's obviously worthwhile.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 01:01 PM

i plan on signing up this summer and watching as many movies as i can.

mitchell_pgh, how many movies per week can you usually get?

diablo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2004, 01:06 PM

I think it's ok. I just got a DVR though...so I have been pretty focused on watching as much MXC, World Poker Tour, and Mythbusters as I can! LOL

g

BTW..I am new...thanks for having me!
VegasAfter10.com weekly show on OGR:
EVERY Saturday 4-8PM EST

George Diab (DJ Diablo)
www.OrbitalGroovesRadio.com
www.VegasAfter10.com

Scifience  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 01:15 PM

Well, I just signed up for the two week free trial (and a $25 eBay gift ceritificate ).

We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for all the input, everyone.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2004, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by Scifience:
Well, I just signed up for the two week free trial (and a $25 eBay gift ceritificate ).

We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for all the input, everyone.
Where did you find the eBay gift certificate ?
I can't find that offer...

-t

Scifience  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:
Where did you find the eBay gift certificate ?
I can't find that offer...

-t
Go to eBay's Anything Points section (you have to be an eBay member with a PayPal account), sign up for Anything Points if you don't already have an account (it's free), and then find the "Partner Offers" section and click on "Get 2500 Points for Netflix". Each point is worth one cent, so that's $25.

You can spend it on any eBay item that can be paid for with PayPal.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2004, 01:58 PM

Go to eBay's Anything Points section (you have to be an eBay member with a PayPal account), sign up for Anything Points if you don't already have an account (it's free), and then find the "Partner Offers" section and click on "Get 2500 Points for Netflix". Each point is worth one cent, so that's $25.

You can spend it on any eBay item that can be paid for with PayPal.

Thanks. I've been trying to get that Anything points account.
Ebay won't let me. My eBay account was set up in Germany, at the German eBay.

Although I live in the US now, I can't change my account to eBay.com. Suxx... Maybe their customer service can help me switch my account...

-t

Scifience  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 02:00 PM

Maybe their customer service can help me switch my account...
I doubt it, but it's worth a try. Their customer service is usually about as helpful as a brick wall. You almost never can get a personal response.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2004, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
i plan on signing up this summer and watching as many movies as i can.

mitchell_pgh, how many movies per week can you usually get?
My record for a month is 23
I average around 11 a month
My low for a month is 6

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2004, 02:03 PM

I doubt it, but it's worth a try. Their customer service is usually about as helpful as a brick wall. You almost never can get a personal response.
It would really suck if I had to abandon all my positive feedback that I accumulated.
Well, I'm about to set up a second, "dummy" account at eBay. Maybe I'll get Anything points signed up for that...

-t

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2004, 02:12 PM

My cycle is

Monday: Place Netflix in post box @ work
Tuesday: Netflix lets me know they have them
Tuesday: Netflix tells me they shipped my movies
Wednesday: I receive my movies
Thursday: I place all the movies in the mail
Friday: Netflix lets me know they have them
Friday: Netflix tells me they shipped my movies
Saturday: I receive my movies

GO TO Monday

Naturally I can't keep this up (and have READ STORIES about people who will cheat on occasion by copying the DVD to their HD and watch it on Thurs. or Friday, then erasing it...

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2004, 02:21 PM

Nice cycle you've worked out there! I occassionally think about resubscribing to Netflix but I'd just rather not sign up for another monthly bill at this point.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2004, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
Nice cycle you've worked out there! I occassionally think about resubscribing to Netflix but I'd just rather not sign up for another monthly bill at this point.
I'm almost 100% positive I'll be dropping Netflix within the next few months. It's a great program and have loved it, but after a while, I just get tired of watching movies.

I've "caught up" on a bunch of movies that have been on my "you should really watch this movie" list, but now, I find myself holding off for new movies only which isn't where you want to be.

This also destroys the value of channels like HBO, Showtime etc.

I just don't think it's worth $240 a year (after a while). I will probably drop the service within a month and then pick it back up after the holidays.

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 15, 2004, 03:23 PM

To those who rent their movies then rip them ? Whats the difference between that and simply just downloading them from the net ?

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2004, 03:53 PM

time, better quality, don't have to search high and low, no audio/video compatibility problems.

netflix is great but yeah, after a while it's hard to keep up. and when life gets busy you feel like **** for having a few movies out for weeks without the time to watch them. Since were moving in a few weeks we will be canceling our account. Probably will get it again in a few years who knows.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2004, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
but you're giving money to wal mart
And?

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2004, 11:42 PM

And people actually pay for this?

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

velodev
Senior User
Jun 15, 2004, 11:51 PM

I am confused... where is this $22 a month thing?

I am paying $19 for Netflix and since they wanted me back after my last hiatus - I get the first month free.

It's not $22 for me... I wonder why it is different.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2004, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by PacHead:
To those who rent their movies then rip them ? Whats the difference between that and simply just downloading them from the net ?
It's still illegal, but they can't easily catch you like if you spent 3 days downloading the same file.

velodev
Senior User
Jun 16, 2004, 12:40 AM

I believe in a recent court ruling the term is called "Time-Shifting" which... was ruled legal but probably not in the U.S.

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2004, 02:11 AM

Originally posted by velodev:
I am confused... where is this $22 a month thing?

I am paying $19 for Netflix and since they wanted me back after my last hiatus - I get the first month free.

It's not $22 for me... I wonder why it is different.
They raised prices in April. For existing customers, the increase is effective June 15. So your next bill will be $21.99.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=209591

http://www.netflix.com/LearnMoreFAQs?q=cost#cost

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2004, 02:31 AM

I think the difference is "I'm paying to rent the movie as compared to people that simply download it".

While technically illegal, it's a fine line. I consider it like a friend giving me a CD of a band, me ripping it to MP3s, listening to it for a few days, and then erasing it.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2004, 04:06 AM

Worth every penny. Especially since you'll never waste $ at a crappy video store again once you have it. You can cancel any crappy cable premium movie channels you find you never watch also.

Heh, I like the term 'time-shifting'.

After a few weeks of backlog, you realize that even the delay of receiving movies in the mail is no longer a downside of Netflix. You simply get into a routine of watching movies you've previously *ahem* 'time-shifted' whenever you want.

Scifience  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2004, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE:
After a few weeks of backlog, you realize that even the delay of receiving movies in the mail is no longer a downside of Netflix. You simply get into a routine of watching movies you've previously *ahem* 'time-shifted' whenever you want.
Yeah, time-shifting movies is fun!

*looks down at anti-mpaa tshirt*

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2004, 10:24 AM

I think the MPAA has bigger fish to fry then time-shifters.

It's not like we aren't "paying" to rent the movies.

I think of it as "on demand, my way..."

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2004, 10:25 AM

...You can cancel any crappy cable premium movie channels you find you never watch also....
What if you get the premium channels for free?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2004, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by djohnson:
Then you will end up watching movies that you have seen months before.

HBO is still playing The Matrix Reloaded

Scifience  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2004, 10:28 AM

You can cancel any crappy cable premium movie channels you find you never watch also.
And use the money you saved to buy a better DVD player!

I really should upgrade...I bought a cheap, $25 POS one from Amazon a while back and it works, but not as well as I'd like (the tray won't stay open for longer than half a second ).

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2004, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by djohnson:
Who want's crap for free ?
Actually, on a second thought, I'll take it...

-t

Scifience  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2004, 10:36 AM

Who want's crap for free ?
Actually, on a second thought, I'll take it...

-t
I get Starz included with my digital cable and internet bundle, and it is still cheaper than doing digital cable + internet without the bundle with Starz.

Don't ask why...only some silly marketing person knows.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2004, 10:39 AM

I'm forced to go digital cable if I want a cable modem

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2004, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I'm forced to go digital cable if I want a cable modem
Who is your cable provider? Digital cable is really cool! I enjoy having Eleventy Billion channels and not finding a single thing I want to watch!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2004, 10:52 AM

Netflix is great... well worth the cash.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2004, 11:06 AM

If it was a choice betwee Netflix and Cable... I would choose Netflix anyday.

Forum Links
Forum Rules