Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Can't play purchased movie from iTunes on Computer or iPhone

Can't play purchased movie from iTunes on Computer or iPhone
Eden Aurora
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2009, 01:01 AM

I purchased Twilight from iTunes. I use to be able to play it on my computer and my iphone. I am getting the following error message: "This movie cannot be played because a display that is not authorized to play protected movies is connected. Try disconnecting any displays that are not HDCP authorized".

It's interesting to note that i did switch my display recently. I had a LED Cinema Display from Apple. But my room has a lot of light. So i switched back to my Cinema HD Display from Apple to reduce the glare as it has a more matte' finish.

But even if my older display couldn't display the movie (and i don't see how that's the case), my iPhone use to be able to play it, and now it won't play. The screen just goes gray.

Anyone know what the error message really means?
I eat turtle soup for breakfast

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2009, 03:06 PM

Apple was pretty late to the HDCP game, so the LED Cinema Display supports HDCP but the Cinema HD Display does not support HDCP. If your Mac supports HDCP but your display does not, you can't play (some?) iTMS HD content.

No idea about the iPhone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules