Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > My new 1970s Pimpotronic Quadraphonic Stereo (jpg orgy)

My new 1970s Pimpotronic Quadraphonic Stereo (jpg orgy)
itschestercopperpot
Banned
Sep 22, 2006, 10:19 AM

So... my latest crush is my new sound system. I scored it off craigslist, from some guy who didn't really know what he was selling... it was his father in law's system, so he didn't really care. Anyway, here's what I nabbed:*

*: All equipment is MINT, working 100%, no scratches at all, with manuals, warranty cards, even the business card of the guy who sold the stuff originally

Technics SA-8500X: 1975 Receiver of the year, Quadraphonic with decoder built in, 35 watts per channel (4 chan mode) or 80 watts per channel (stereo). Quite potent. I think something is up with today's wattage ratings, because i can't even turn this thing halfway up without blowing my ears out. 4 vu meters. Also able to synthesize stereo inputs into fake quadraphonic, and it works AMAZINGLY well. I listened to the gorillaz album, and the vocals, drums, background vocals, and bass were all seperated. Amazing!

Technics Audioscope: An oscilliscope used for tuning your quadraphonic system, or to just 'watch' your music. Visualizers on itunes are cool, but a real live 'analog' visualization is even sweeter.

Technics RS 858US 8 track deck: Quadraphonic 8 track deck, able to play stereo ones too, and I can record quadraphonic or stereo 8 tracks. Rad.

Pioneer cassette deck. Super nice. I forget the model number.

Zenith Quadraphonic headphones. Huge. 2 speakers in each ear.

And a set of FOUR panasonic SB-550 speakers. dome tweeters, and DOME MIDS (very weird), and a 12" woofer. Handrubbed walnet veneer over 1" thick cabinets. Perfect conditon. Ability to power each speaker individually (seperate amp for woofer, mid, tweet), and attenuation controls on the front panel. They sound ****ING AMAZING.

itschestercopperpot  (op)
Banned
Sep 22, 2006, 10:20 AM

Top of speaker:

Weird kinda ugly grill... but it's real wood. I might make cloth grills. We'll see.

Oh, and just to piss you off, I paid $140 for everything. HahAhahHA. The Audioscope is worth about $300 alone. Ones like mine can even sell for over $800. HahA.

Banned
Sep 22, 2006, 10:22 AM

Right now I'm in the process of building some solid oak speaker stands.... they'll put the speaker up so that the tweeter is at ear level... after that I'm tackling a full A/V cabinet, and after that I'm retrofitting an HD LCD into an old 1950s television.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2006, 10:28 AM

I am impressed the surrounds are still good.

There was a pioneer that had that a quadraphonic scope built in to the receiver instead of the UV meeter.

They did some crazy things back in the day.

good score on your part Rob

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2006, 10:31 AM

Damn nice setup. I don't know if I could handle 8-tracks. Go vinyl .

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Banned
Sep 22, 2006, 10:40 AM

Yeah, I suppose i already have the turntables. We'll see.

G4ME: The surrounds are great. I think these things sat in the basement for the past 25 years and didn't get used AT ALL. They sound amazing. Even Kristin is super impressed. We're listening to our entire collection all over again, and it's CRAZY how much more I'm hearing. Weezer, the blue album.... I had no idea they were saying certain lyrics, I thought they were saying something else entirely... and the Sarah McLaucklin (whatever) surfacing CD....wow.... I've heard stuff in that now that I've NEVER EVEN HEARD before! It's ****ing crazy! I love this system.

Over the next year, after I build the cabinet (with RGB mood lighting), I'm going to build a subwoofer (10" sub, 10" passive radiator.. I think), and a center channel, and use a sharp 350 watt amp to drive those, and the 8500x to drive the four speakers, which I'll use as surrounds. I'm going to get a DVD player with 6 RCA outs, so I'll be using both amps at once.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2006, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by itschestercopperpot
I'm going to build a subwoofer (10" sub, 10" passive radiator.. I think)

go big or go home, do some research before plunking down the cash, I haven't found any 10" that can truley be labeled as a decent Sub. Granted haven't been seriously looking for the past 2 years. But a nice nice 15" with a 18" passive radiator will be gobs and gobs better. Also if you chose the right driver it will be heads and sholders above in efficiency.

I am just saying dig around the net see what people are building, then ask them why, you will be informed.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2006, 11:00 AM

I like the speakers but depending on the room design they could either look cool or make you look cheap

If you gave the room some modernized 70's look to it with white shag carpets and old style couches you got something. But I am guessing you wont.

For me I have a good music/theatre setup but in the 7 years I have had it I have listened to ONE CD on it and they radio... never.

I only listen to music on my computer as I hate the radio for the chatter so i listen to net streams. Even though I can stream music to the stereo from my computers/net whatever I still don't' want to sit around the stereo to do it.

My speakers get used hours each day but just for movies/TV/video games.

P.s. I like your new user name cash

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Banned
Sep 22, 2006, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by G4ME
go big or go home, do some research before plunking down the cash, I haven't found any 10" that can truley be labeled as a decent Sub. Granted haven't been seriously looking for the past 2 years. But a nice nice 15" with a 18" passive radiator will be gobs and gobs better. Also if you chose the right driver it will be heads and sholders above in efficiency.

I am just saying dig around the net see what people are building, then ask them why, you will be informed.
I will, but that would be far too large for my apartment. I wouldn't hear it, but people in a few buildings over would. There needs to be enough space in the room for the waves to form. In a smaller apartment, a smaller sub is better.

Banned
Sep 22, 2006, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
I like the speakers but depending on the room design they could either look cool or make you look cheap

If you gave the room some modernized 70's look to it with white shag carpets and old style couches you got something. But I am guessing you wont.

For me I have a good music/theatre setup but in the 7 years I have had it I have listened to ONE CD on it and they radio... never.

I only listen to music on my computer as I hate the radio for the chatter so i listen to net streams. Even though I can stream music to the stereo from my computers/net whatever I still don't' want to sit around the stereo to do it.

My speakers get used hours each day but just for movies/TV/video games.

P.s. I like your new user name cash
They'll look cool eventually. I'm still in school, and Kristin is supporting herself, me, and the dog off from not a whole lot of cash. I have 3 part time jobs at school, and I worked all summer, but money is tight. Eventually I'm going to build a bangin' retro pad.

BTW, I don't listen to CDs often, but these speakers just sound do ****ing good that I have to listen to all my stuff again. This receiver, in 1975 dollars, was $760.

This is seriously nice ****. The whole system was OVER $1500 in 75 dollars. It's ****ing awesome. I like it more than my mac.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2006, 11:54 AM

I would KEEP the speakers on the floor, but tilt them up - 70's style...

get a Technics SL1100 turntable and one of the old Audio-Technica "Quad" phono carts!

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2006, 11:56 AM

My first thought when I saw this username was cash. But then for a moment I wondered if it was C.A.T.S. teh C.E.O back to haunt us.

Banned
Sep 22, 2006, 11:57 AM

Nope. It's me. Who was Cats CEO anyway? Why was he banned? Kinda an old username to get banned.

Banned
Sep 22, 2006, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Y3a
I would KEEP the speakers on the floor, but tilt them up - 70's style...

get a Technics SL1100 turntable and one of the old Audio-Technica "Quad" phono carts!
Nah, I want the tweeters at ear level. I thought about tilting them a bit, but I don't want to mess with the 'quadraphonic' interaction, so I'm keeping them at all exactly the same height. The base and deck of the stands are 3/4" oak, and the legs that connect them are 1.5" thick oak. They're really freaking sturdy. They could probably support 300+lbs.

And nah, I have some Stanton turntables already.... and there's a modern cartridge that actually performs better than the older quad cartridges... I might look into it, but honestly quad vinyl wears down pretty quick, and it's kinda glitchy. I'd rather build up my quad 8 track collection... I already have quite a few cool ones.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2006, 12:01 PM

CATS CEO was this 14 year old kid who started getting bitchy about all sorts of random things, he was pissing off new members, and eventually they had to ban him.

Then his mom came on and said that she would make sure he stays off MacNN, and that we were being mean to him about his poor grammar.

Banned
Sep 22, 2006, 12:03 PM

Haha. Well if he had bad grammar, good riddance.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2006, 12:27 PM

I'm so jealous, that's a sweet score.
"â€ĤI contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2006, 12:37 PM

hi rob, glad to see that you got such a great deal on those "speakers of the Gods" i'm using a 10'' logitech sub right now that just fills my dorm room, and it goes to 11! heh, anyways, stay out of trouble, your new nick kicks

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2006, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
hi rob, glad to see that you got such a great deal on those "speakers of the Gods" i'm using a 10'' logitech sub right now that just fills my dorm room, and it goes to 11! heh, anyways, stay out of trouble, your new nick kicks

You'd be surprised what small subs can do. Everyone I know with large subs never turn the setting above 2 or 3 which defeats the whole point.

My sub is only 6 or 8 inches but because I place it on a hardwood floor AND in a corner at the 50% mark the windows start to rattle.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Banned
Sep 22, 2006, 01:03 PM

You'd be surprised what small subs can do. Everyone I know with large subs never turn the setting above 2 or 3 which defeats the whole point.

My sub is only 6 or 8 inches but because I place it on a hardwood floor AND in a corner at the 50% mark the windows start to rattle.
Small subs can be loud, but I think he was talking about the frequencies in which they can be loud. My current HTIB sub is pretty loud at certain frequences, but in order to hear the REALLY low stuff, I have to turn up the system louder, which then makes everything else even louder. Ideally, you'd be able to play a test tone at any frequency, and have the same rating on your decibel meter. That would be the most 'accurate' sound. Small sub= better than no sub, and big subs totally rock, but if you throw a big sub in a tiny room it won't be as loud as a more moderately sized one.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2006, 01:22 PM

you can't go DEEPER just by adding power! LOL It's about cabinet design, speaker damping, driver weight, crossovers, transmission line or acoustic suspension and other details. Even with 1000 watts RMS, a Bose 901 can't do 20hZ!

Banned
Sep 22, 2006, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a
you can't go DEEPER just by adding power! LOL It's about cabinet design, speaker damping, driver weight, crossovers, transmission line or acoustic suspension and other details. Even with 1000 watts RMS, a Bose 901 can't do 20hZ!
That's what I'm saying. Technically, any sub can 'do' 20hz, it just probably wouldn't be audible.

vexborg
Senior User
Sep 23, 2006, 09:47 AM

Oh, and just to piss you off, I paid $140 for everything. HahAhahHA. The Audioscope is worth about $300 alone. Ones like mine can even sell for over $800. HahA.
Oh, you lucky devil!

I really need to get hold of an amplifier for my old B&O turntable...
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2006, 09:55 AM

That's a sweet setup. Really sweet. I personally don't think much of the Quadrophonic stuff but if you keep it in stereo mode there are few things that sound better than one of these old 70's monsters. I'd probably sell the tape deck and the 8 track and get a sweet turntable to complement the amp and speakers.

I myself use a 1950's valve amp and I have yet to find anything better.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2006, 10:34 AM

Nice catch.

But can it play OGG ?

-t

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 23, 2006, 11:43 AM

Except that IIRC, the best starting point is at a 1/3 mark, not 1/2.

A guy at the local audiophile shop told me a trick: since moving the sub, testing from your listening spot, and then repeating until you have the right spot is a pain, you can do the reverse: put the sub in your listening spot, and then walk around the edge of the room until you get the best sound. Where you're standing is where you then put the sub!

Note to self: buy a sub.

tooki

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 23, 2006, 11:44 AM

I see more than a little "only 35W per channel" posts... While having more capacity can be very good, 35W/chan is PLENTY with really good linearity in the amps (Technics was GREAT for this in the 1970s) and high quality speakers. Sure, a 10" sub won't damage concrete across the street, but it WILL definitely make the windows vibrate in the room the speakers are in. I don't think I'd want my neighbors-especially in an apartment-to be able to feel all my music, anyway; they might decide "it's war!" and get some modern, non-linear, crapotronic system with a 2000W base channel just to hurt me.

Seriously, that's more than enough for all but the hugest apartments. And beautiful equipment too! GREAT buy!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2006, 01:23 PM

gotta love how an admin and then a mod replied to a rob post and now he's banned. gotta let this one go and grow up, didnae find anything that rob said in his posts to have this nick banned. how about we just let him be on here, and if he ****s up THEN ban him, not just ban him due to immature grudge reasons

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 23, 2006, 01:26 PM

gotta love how an admin and then a mod replied to a rob post and now he's banned. gotta let this one go and grow up, didnae find anything that rob said in his posts to have this nick banned. how about we just let him be on here, and if he ****s up THEN ban him, not just ban him due to immature grudge reasons
I Concur.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2006, 02:49 PM

But what about the children? Won't SOMEONE pleeeeeez think about the children!?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 23, 2006, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by DigitalEl
But what about the children? Won't SOMEONE pleeeeeez think about the children!?
Meh, does a Teenager count? Because I don't care if Rob is allowed back, i'd actually like him back.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2006, 04:33 PM

how about we just let him be on here, and if he ****s up THEN ban him, not just ban him due to immature grudge reasons
Can't be, it's personal.

Rob mocks the mod through his ban evasions, so they make him jump through hoops by forcing him to renew his posting rights all teh time.

-t

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 23, 2006, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
Can't be, it's personal.

Rob mocks the mod through his ban evasions, so they make him jump through hoops by forcing him to renew his posting rights all teh time.

-t
Time to let go. It's been 6+ years and you'll all still be doing this when you're old and frail, just let him on here and shove him on your ignore list if it bothers you that much. I'm sure VB can be modded so every new person who signs up has his current nick on their ignore list automatically.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2006, 05:45 PM

That's what I'm saying. Technically, any sub can 'do' 20hz, it just probably wouldn't be audible.

errr, no.

anyway, a 901's good for boat anchoring and not much else. Ditto the rest of the Bose line.

Chester'sCopperpot
Baninated
Sep 23, 2006, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
Except that IIRC, the best starting point is at a 1/3 mark, not 1/2.

A guy at the local audiophile shop told me a trick: since moving the sub, testing from your listening spot, and then repeating until you have the right spot is a pain, you can do the reverse: put the sub in your listening spot, and then walk around the edge of the room until you get the best sound. Where you're standing is where you then put the sub!

Note to self: buy a sub.

tooki
I've heard that before, and it doesn't make any sense to me. Sound is radiant. A sub especially, radiates in pretty much 360 degrees. If you put it in a corner, it's going to bounce all over the room in a certain pattern. If you put it right in the center of the room, the sound waves will bounce around differently. Just imagine a perfectly square room, with teh sub in the center, vs the sub in the corner. Or, conduct an experiment. Since the ripples of water kidna simulate sound waves, make a square box, drop a pebble in the middle, vs the corner. I say there is no way in hell this theory holds any water.... I call BS, because it doesn't make sense at all.

Chester'sCopperpot
Baninated
Sep 23, 2006, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I see more than a little "only 35W per channel" posts... While having more capacity can be very good, 35W/chan is PLENTY with really good linearity in the amps (Technics was GREAT for this in the 1970s) and high quality speakers. Sure, a 10" sub won't damage concrete across the street, but it WILL definitely make the windows vibrate in the room the speakers are in. I don't think I'd want my neighbors-especially in an apartment-to be able to feel all my music, anyway; they might decide "it's war!" and get some modern, non-linear, crapotronic system with a 2000W base channel just to hurt me.

Seriously, that's more than enough for all but the hugest apartments. And beautiful equipment too! GREAT buy!
Thanks! I'm extremely fond of it. I just wish I could all invite you over so you could hear how it SOUNDS. It's un-****ing-believable. The only system that it compares to that I've heard is my audiophile friend's system, he build his own speaker cabinets, and they're massive. He spent about $700 for the drivers too.... those things are just sick. They're also teh only other speakers I've listened to with dome midranges...I love domes... they're a bit warmer, and not quiet as harsh as horns and ribbon tweeters and whatnot. But yeah, this system definitely blows the pants off my current home theater in a box system with '500 watts' of power.

Chester'sCopperpot
Baninated
Sep 23, 2006, 06:20 PM

Thanks. But I really don't think they'll be able to admit they're wrong.

Chester'sCopperpot
Baninated
Sep 23, 2006, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
Can't be, it's personal.

-t
I don't mock them on purpose. I just don't respect their decision/s. I had about 400 posts on my last 'accepted' username, til one day out of teh blue it was banned for 'ban evasion', something nobody on this forum had ever heard of. Then they started doing it as a little game, but.... hey... you gotta realize that anybody who gets any power on the internet, whether it's an IRC admin, a website admin, a forum admin, or whatever, they will abuse that power. It's kind of a fact of life. People on the internet are assholes. People abuse powers they're given. Put those two together.

Chester'sCopperpot
Baninated
Sep 23, 2006, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by CMYKid
errr, no.

anyway, a 901's good for boat anchoring and not much else. Ditto the rest of the Bose line.
So you're saying if I hooked upa signal generator to an amplifier, and hooked that amp up to this bose sub, the bose sub would not even move it's driver? I disagree. I think any sub would be capable of 20hz.... it just would not be audible.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 23, 2006, 06:28 PM

A good rig is a good rig. And if I hadn't been told "Chester" was Rob I would not have known it...

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2006, 06:31 PM

alrighty, who told? lol, elementry school flashback

Railroader
Banned
Sep 23, 2006, 06:35 PM

Please ignore this post.
( Last edited by Railroader; Sep 23, 2006 at 08:45 PM. )

Chester'sCopperpot
Baninated
Sep 23, 2006, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
He who smelt it dealt it.
I was going to post my conjecture about who could possibly hold some animosity towards me, but then I thought better of it. Glad you posted here though, now I don't have to say anything. How was your ban Kilbey?

Railroader
Banned
Sep 23, 2006, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Chester'sCopperpot
I was going to post my conjecture about who could possibly hold some animosity towards me, but then I thought better of it. Glad you posted here though, now I don't have to say anything. How was your ban Kilbey?
Apologies to BPR, I was wrong. Looks like you can blamed G4ME
and his earlier post of:
gotta love how an admin and then a mod replied to a rob post and now he's banned.
And in his theme of elementary school childishness I made a silly childish comment.

How was my ban? Obeyed. And lifted.
( Last edited by Railroader; Sep 23, 2006 at 08:46 PM. )

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2006, 07:25 PM

i dunno if your trying to say that i told the mods about rob via pm or report abuse, but i didnae.

Alex

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 23, 2006, 07:29 PM

Nobody gets banned "out of the blue." When it becomes obvious that a banned user has registered a new nickname, we ban that new nickname because the banned user is BANNED. Sometimes we have other things to do besides pretending to be the playground monitor, so we don't always catch these things.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2006, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Chester'sCopperpot
Touche !

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2006, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Nobody gets banned "out of the blue." When it becomes obvious that a banned user has registered a new nickname, we ban that new nickname because the banned user is BANNED. Sometimes we have other things to do besides pretending to be the playground monitor, so we don't always catch these things.
No, Rob is right to some extent. The practice (or should I say "doctrine") of ban-evasion was not clearly formulated, but rather, Rob became a guinea-pig to examplify and test it.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 23, 2006, 07:52 PM

No, he has demonstrated the limitations of an all-volunteer moderator staff, nothing more. While it's not spelled out in single-sylable words anywhere, when a user gets banned-even if he doesn't agree with the reason-then he should NOT be able to post. Period. The problem is that without a 24/7 highly observant and extremely diligent observer force to identify when a banned user has started a new user account, the evading user goes undetected for a while. Ideally, it should be impossible for a banned user to start a new account, but that's not technically feasible.

If anyone has any other comments about this policy, they go in the Feedback forum.

He still has a cool stereo.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 23, 2006, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
How was my ban? Obeyed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules