Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Quote from Apple's Joswiak on the 970 in a PB: not anytime soon.

Quote from Apple's Joswiak on the 970 in a PB: not anytime soon.
NightEyes
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2003, 01:50 PM

"Motorola is huge for us," said Joswiak. "Our partnership with Motorola is not going away, G4s are in every other part of our product line. As you can see, [the G5] is not going in a PowerBook anytime soon. Motorola remains very important to us, but IBM is the one that can take us to the next level."

slow moe
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2003, 01:51 PM

Can we get a link?

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2003, 02:26 PM

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/06/24/future/

About 1/4 of the way from the top.

I want my PowerBook G5 15"!

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Jun 24, 2003, 02:39 PM

The question is, what does "soon" mean? If that means a couple of years, then I'll get a PB now. If it means spring, then I'll wait.

Ahhh.... the joys of trying to outguess Apple.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2003, 02:46 PM

Hmm, really makes me wonder what Apple is waiting for on the 15" aluminum then. Perhaps they've been spending all their time on the G5 PowerMac and don't have any engineers to work on the PowerBooks.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 24, 2003, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by iDaver:
Hmm, really makes me wonder what Apple is waiting for on the 15" aluminum then. Perhaps they've been spending all their time on the G5 PowerMac and don't have any engineers to work on the PowerBooks.
1.3 GHz Motorola MPC7457?

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2003, 05:46 PM

Never one to miss an opportunity to gloat at my correct prediction... (Well actually this is the very first time I have been even in the same galaxy let alone ball park...);

I
Told
Everyone
So

Peace,

Marc

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2003, 08:16 PM

I knew there wouldn't be a G5 in a notebook just yet, but is that really the real question here?

Am I the only one wondering how long Apple will continue to shove the 15" screen into a Titanium body instead of an Aluminum one?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

NightEyes  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2003, 08:34 PM

I was initially surprised we didn't see a new PB at WWDC, but I believe Apple will introduce a new 15" Al PB and speed bump the 12 and 17" at the same time. Look for it to happen this Fall.

PowerMatt
Senior User
Jun 24, 2003, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by iDaver:
So, is this the year of the laptop?

New Powerbook cases (12" & 17") and iBook speedbumps are hardly "year of" worthy. The 15" Powerbook is still Apple's money maker for portables but it has been ignored for the first 6 months of the "Year of the Laptop." Maybe July-December will be the "6-months of the Laptop."
It I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2003, 08:39 PM

With fall beginning in late September, that would make it at least 10 months since the last update to the 15" PowerBook. Seems like a long time. I would expect something sooner.

wilsonX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2003, 10:18 PM

anybody know what's in the supply line? I hear that one distributer doesn't have much of a supply of pbooks...

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2003, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
I knew there wouldn't be a G5 in a notebook just yet, but is that really the real question here?

Am I the only one wondering how long Apple will continue to shove the 15" screen into a Titanium body instead of an Aluminum one?
Am I the only one who actually still likes the Ti? It seems with all the impending rumors of new 15", everyone sees the Ti as old and whatnot... still the best machine I've ever used.

The only thing I'd want from the new aluminum jobs is the keyboard.
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2003, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by juanpacolopez:
Am I the only one who actually still likes the Ti? It seems with all the impending rumors of new 15", everyone sees the Ti as old and whatnot... still the best machine I've ever used.

The only thing I'd want from the new aluminum jobs is the keyboard.
As you said; better keyboard. Additionally, in my opinion, better hinge; ports on the side are better; better airport range; scratch resistant, etc. I have a Ti and like it, but it's showing its age compared to the aluminum models.

I'm saving my pennies for a 17" Big Al; while waiting for Rev B or C; hopefully with a higher resolution screen and a G5 processor. (Might be a long wait.)

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 01:40 AM

Actually the one thing I hate about the ti is the stupid plastic frame that breaks so easily and the paint chips off of!
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Robe
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2003, 05:03 AM

If you've ever used a Big Al 17 - you would consider this the year of the laptop!! javascript:smilie('')
Originally posted by PowerMatt:
So, is this the year of the laptop?')

New Powerbook cases (12" & 17") and iBook speedbumps are hardly "year of" worthy. The 15" Powerbook is still Apple's money maker for portables but it has been ignored for the first 6 months of the "Year of the Laptop." Maybe July-December will be the "6-months of the Laptop."

macxtal
Jun 25, 2003, 07:31 AM

I still have suspicions the 15" is going to die.

If everyone stops buying the G4 powerbooks, a G5 powerbook will appear. I was considering a PB17 upgrade after getting my 15 a few months ago.. but the PPC970 is so much faster than the G4, it will make the thing completely worthless in the resale market. It's one thing to have a speed upgrade, but the G5 is an entire different class of machine.

Sayseth Greg Joswiak:

"In fact, Apple will keep one G4-based configuration around for as long as the market demands. "

This one seems easy to fix. No demand, the G4 configuation dies.

Apple is trying to spin this one boys and girls.. don't let them get away with it. The G4 is obsolete.
( Last edited by macxtal; Jun 25, 2003 at 07:38 AM. )

slow moe
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2003, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by macxtal:
Apple is trying to spin this one boys and girls.. don't let them get away with it. The G4 is obsolete.
umm...Panther isn't even shipping yet, and neither are any 64 bit applications. The 970 is backward-compatible with 32 bit software, which extends the life of all of today's favorite apps. The future isn't that bleak. Jeesh!

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2003, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by macxtal:
[BApple is trying to spin this one boys and girls.. don't let them get away with it. The G4 is obsolete. [/B]
Don't be so quick to pronounce the G4's death. Even IF Apple replaced every single machine in it's line w/ a G5 model right this second it would still be YEARS before it became the majority.

Case in point, look at how many people still run 9. I remember reading somewhere recently (Slashdot I think) that only something like 30% of Mac users have switched to X so far.

The fact is, most Mac users don't upgrade their hardware NEARLY as often as their PC counterparts. I still think it will be QUITE a while before we see too many exclusively 64-bit apps... I'd say at least two or three years.
Alex

-----

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 09:50 AM

The guy has to say this. He has no choice. He'll be saying it right up to the day before Apple makes the last product announcement eliminating the G4 from the product line up. They have a relationship with Motorola that they still need.

This quote means absolutely nothing.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2003, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by wallinbl:
The guy has to say this. He has no choice. He'll be saying it right up to the day before Apple makes the last product announcement eliminating the G4 from the product line up. They have a relationship with Motorola that they still need.

This quote means absolutely nothing.
Agreed. Motorola still sells them most of the chips that they put in their computers.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 25, 2003, 10:30 AM

I think it means something. It means that we won't be seeing a G5 powerbook any time in the near future (and a big "I told you so" goes out to all of you "simultaneously make the entire pro line G5s" people. Ha! )

They're still using G3s, for God's sake -- it seems a little early to declare the G4 dead, especially for portables.

That doesn't mean that the 15" might not get refreshed soon, but with a faster G4. My hunch is that they will refresh the entire powerbook line in a few months, giving them all a speedbump and changing the 15" to an aluminum enclosure.

TAZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2003, 11:05 AM

I dont think it means much, but it does mean something. I can not believe that if Apple had a way to incorporate the 970 or a variant there of into the PB line that they would simply wait just because. I severely doubt that the G4 is dead and it probably wont be dead for some time. I do believe that they will end up in the I and E series computers with the 970 in the Power line. If you look at the 12" PB it is incredibly close to the iBook and I am willing to bet its guts can fit into an iBook quite nicely. My guess is that they are waiting to let the rush of the G5 announcement subside a bit before they announce an updated Powerbook line. I, however, dont think this update will include the 970. I truly HOPE AND PRAY that I am wrong, but given the way the G5 is being cooled it is hardly realistic to expect to see it in a PB. I expect to see an update to the 15" to Al, AE, BT... and if Motorola gets its head out of its rear and delivers a possible speed bumt to maybe 1.25 Ghz

bil207
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2003, 11:43 AM

bonk
Jun 25, 2003, 12:20 PM

What if they bump up the iBook to a G4, and the PB to a G5. They probably also keep the eMac and iMac at G4 for a while too, leaving Motorola still making chips.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2003, 12:36 PM

To me, "soon" means within 6 months.

I'd like to see a 970 based PB in Jan-Mar 04 right after Macworld SF.

I'd like to see a 1GHz G4 iBook and a 1.4GHz iMac within two months.

The G4 will now become the consumer chip for Apple. Hopefully, Moto can keep upping the speed reasonably to stay with the "celerons" on the P4 side.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

neilw
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2003, 01:29 PM

If we see 1.3GHz 7457-based AlBooks this fall, then I'd be surprised if we saw G5 'books before 2Q04 at the earliest. This seems to be looking like the most likely scenario.

I'm a little bummed about that, but must admit that a 15.4" AlBook with the 1.3Gig 7457 would be a pretty nice machine. I'm just not sure it would motivate me to replace my TiBook 550 rather than just wait for the G5.

It would make one wonder, though, which machine will b the next to get the G5. The iMac? New low-end minitower?

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2003, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by neilw:
If we see 1.3GHz 7457-based AlBooks this fall, then I'd be surprised if we saw G5 'books before 2Q04 at the earliest. This seems to be looking like the most likely scenario.

I'm a little bummed about that, but must admit that a 15.4" AlBook with the 1.3Gig 7457 would be a pretty nice machine. I'm just not sure it would motivate me to replace my TiBook 550 rather than just wait for the G5.

It would make one wonder, though, which machine will b the next to get the G5. The iMac? New low-end minitower?
My vote goes for the iMac. Say in a 1.4ghz or maybe even 1.6/1.8 w/ a slower bus/RAM.

If Apple has the ability to release a joe consumer level machine (iMac) w/ a 64-bit processor in the near future, I think they'll jump at it. Especially if they can somehow hit that magic $1k price point. I've heard more than once that the 970's are considerably cheaper than the G4, so who knows?
Alex

-----

mrgaskell
Senior User
Jun 26, 2003, 02:47 AM

I see speed bumps for the 17 and 15 inch to 1.25 or 1.3 ghz processors with 200mhz system busses and DDR 400mhz RAM, faster drives and integrated bluetooth and FW800 for the 15". The 12" will move to 1ghz and 166mhz bus. Maybe we could see a dual processor G4 17"? That would be cool.
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2003, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by mrgaskell:
I see speed bumps for the 17 and 15 inch to 1.25 or 1.3 ghz processors with 200mhz system busses and DDR 400mhz RAM, faster drives and integrated bluetooth and FW800 for the 15". The 12" will move to 1ghz and 166mhz bus. Maybe we could see a dual processor G4 17"? That would be cool.
I think a Dual Proc. 17" is about the only thing that could convince me to forgive the size of the Big Al and scoop one up.
Alex

-----

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 26, 2003, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by juanpacolopez:
I think a Dual Proc. 17" is about the only thing that could convince me to forgive the size of the Big Al and scoop one up.
I think you'd find it to be too hot with a short battery life. Not a good idea IMHO.

beachmark
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2003, 04:41 PM

The 17inch is too big for and the 12inch feels so small: I am in the market fora 15inch. However the longer I wait the closerthe release date for a revised/new model.

Darn I am making it myself quite difficult and all I want is a portable computer that is an Apple (preferably 15 inch, a little fster than 1ghz, extreme airport and fast firewire for video transmission and that is scratch and paint resistant) and not one of their entry models.
g.r.e.e.t.i.n.g.s
mark ®
hanging out in san francisco - wellington - cape town (or in between)
Powerbook 17 inch MacOS 10.4.3Eng • Palm E2 • Motorola Razr • iPod Flash 1Gb • iPod mini 2nd-4Gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules