Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > MightyMouse Question

MightyMouse Question
TheZee
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2005, 03:02 AM

I am wondering why If I take an animated .gif and try to drag and drop it into the "wait" well on the MightyMouse preference panel that it doesn't accept it. Instead, I get this message box stating that the image must have an Alpha Channel in order to be used. SInce a .gif animation does not contain an Alpha Channel does this mean that it cannot be used with MightyMouse? Is the only way to create a custom "wait" cursor in MightyMouse by building one. I can build a "wait" cursor by individually dragging and droppping an image into the "wait" well then adding another individual image and so on and so on until I have a completed animated "wait" cursor with however many frames I have chosen to use. I'd like to take an animated .gif image that I find cool and use it as a "wait" cursor in MightyMouse. Is this do-able? Thanks for any and all guidance given.
TheZee
MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, OS X 10.5.7

Dave-o�
Senior User
Jan 15, 2005, 04:26 AM

Heres the scoop.. You need to make images with an alpha channel and save them as .tif files. Then you can drag and drop or copy and paste them into MM. In order to use the animated GIF you will have to rebuild it... Hmm.. You could try adding an alpha channel to it, but then you will have to save it as a tif... Hop ethis makes sense and helps you out...

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2005, 01:24 PM

save each frame as a tif image, drag them in order to that little box that shows each frame - tedious yes but it works, remember to save the mightymouse file so u dont gotta do it again

TheZee  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2005, 04:47 PM

Thanks my Mac brethren. You actually described exactly what I do now. I love it when we all see eye-2-eye. I currently go through the process of taking an animated .gif image apart then I rebuild it as you described in your posts. I then make sure that I save the finished product. I have created some awesome cursor sets this way. I was just wondering if there was a less tedious, time consuming way to convert an animated .gif image into a usable file for MightyMouse. Taking the thing apart and then rebuilding it can be rather labor intensive depending on the frame count. Sounds like that's the only way to go for now. Thanks again for the the tips.
TheZee

Dave-o�
Senior User
Jan 15, 2005, 10:30 PM

The only thought i have Zee is to try and import it into Flash and then export the key frames as tif images?? I don't know if this is possible, but if you have Flash it might be worth a look into.

TheZee  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2005, 02:45 AM

I'll give that a shot. Thanks. Just finished another MightyMouse wait cursor. I took apart an animated .gif image using Graphic Converter. I split each frame into individual .tiff images then I rebuilt it by dropping each image file into the "wait" cursor wells of the MightyMouse preference pane. I then drag the comleted "wait" cursor out of the well to my desktop and that completes the process so that I now have my animated .tiff image that I can use anytime with MightyMouse. So far this method seems to be the only way to build a wait cursor for use with MightyMouse. Thanks again for all your guidance.
TheZee

Forum Links
Forum Rules