Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > MBP not detecting monitor resolution

MBP not detecting monitor resolution
zombie punk
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2008, 06:39 PM

When I plug my mbp into my LCD monitor, it shows up, but at lower resolution than it should be. The monitor then shows a message saying that the wrong resolution is selected, and I have to go into prefs to change to the the correct res. What's going on? This happens every time, it's annoying.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 14, 2008, 08:39 PM

Has it ever worked properly? It could be a preference gone awry.
Secondly, how is it hooked up? Straight DVI or via a DVI to VGA converter? If you're using a converter, that could be interfering with the MBPs ability to get the EDID data from the monitor.
Thirdly, is this a cheap no name monitor or a good quality brand? I ask because I've run across a couple of cheap brands of monitors that don't play nice with regards to being set at the right resolutions with certain graphics card configurations.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 14, 2008, 09:48 PM

...and even lower end LCDs from "known brands" should at least talk to the Mac. I have a Dell E171FP as my secondary monitor on my iMac, but I tried it out on my MBP—both with adapters from either DVI (on the MBP) or whatever that mini-connector on the iMac is, and in both cases, the Mac knew what that monitor was. So there are a number of places that could cause you problems, starting with the secondary monitor's cable...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

zombie punk  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2008, 10:37 PM

It's an asus - it works fine when I set the res manually, it has never auto detected the correct res (and works fine, just with a lower res when it auto detects). I'm using VGA adaptor because the monitor doesn't have a dvi port. The monitor cable is hard-wired to the monitor.

zombie punk  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2008, 11:42 PM

bump?

macwall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2008, 01:38 AM

the video card might be out of whack? does it do this with other monitors?

Forum Links
Forum Rules