Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Tired of the hype

Tired of the hype
mac_in_tosh
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2013, 03:43 PM

I've always used Apple computers - at home at least - and will probably continue for the near future, but I'm frankly getting tired of the hype, especially in the keynote addresses. Everything is magical, revolutionary etc., and the way the people in the audience suck it up is amazing.

Take the new Mac Pro for instance. It's using commercially available processors, memory and graphics cards, so how revolutionary can it be? Okay, it looks different, very nice even, with a cylindrical hunk of metal in there as a heat sink, but is that revolutionary? It seems there's a lot of debate about this announcement, with a fair number of pros lamenting the absence of the old form factor that could be opened up and worked on. Is Ives running the company now?

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2013, 04:15 PM

With Apple, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Like the iPhone. It has a slower processor, less RAM, etc than the competition, yet people like it better and it feels faster. The best "PC" to run Windows 8 has been deemed to be a... Mac! It uses standard CPU, GPU, RAM, etc but Apple manages to apply their know-how to make it better. Yes, spec-wise, the Mac Pro seems ordinary. But it's the little details that make it revolutionary. A very powerful machine, yet very quiet, very small. The fact that the storage is PCI-based instead of SATA. The new philosophy that will make expension external instead of internal, thanks to Thunderbolt. Just the fan alone is an engineering marvel. With Apple, every single details counts.

Again, with the iPhone, it's true that you can do everything it does with another brand, but it's more intuitive and easy with the iPhone. Everything just works. That's the magic. You never have to learn anything. You just do it and it works as expected. Take AirPlay for exemple. You can do it with other solutions, but nothing beats the simplicity of the way it works with Apple devices.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2013, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by mac_in_tosh View Post
I've always used Apple computers - at home at least - and will probably continue for the near future, but I'm frankly getting tired of the hype, especially in the keynote addresses. Everything is magical, revolutionary etc., and the way the people in the audience suck it up is amazing.
The hype is no more or less accurate than it's been for fifteen years.

You're just getting old and jaded; that's all.

As far as I'm concerned, the iPhone and iPad ARE magical. I still marvel at them — particularly the iPhone — every day.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2013, 05:08 PM

Also, most of the "magic" operates in the background, without us noticing it. With 10.6 and 10.7, I was amazed by reading the advanced specs.. Grand Central Dispatch, Automatic/Sudden Termination, the smart auto-save with Time Machine-like browsing. Or the little things like AirDrop that just works. And now the Timer coalescing and AppNap. Again, from outside, the updates look "meh", but under the hood, there's a lot of magic!

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2013, 05:49 PM

I'm mad at McDonald's because the people in the commercials look way happier than I do.

When I took my iced coffee into a fountain... no attractive women came and splashed water on me... instead security just made me leave.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2013, 06:10 PM

I so agree with SH. For me it's the iPad. Anywhere I am where there is WIFI, I can access the world of information, all the news in any language, taking courses in whatever subject at top universities, reading professional literature as well as the last novel by XY&Z. Skyping, Facetiming,, watching movies.

The iPhone is a Swiss army knife, kinda like a Harry Potter magic wand, each spell being an app. Navigation alone has made my life so much easier, The camera that's always with you, have taken more pix then ever before, sharing with loved ones, OMG. In the car, zillions of radio stations to choose from. Altitude, Sound Level/Frequency, Dog Barks and Whistles etc etc........

M_I_T, the hype is all about advertising. Apple is no different from any other company, they just do it a lot better, just like they do most things. And, I think the new MacPro will be like having a scramjet on your desk, 1/8th of the size of the old one, and way more able then anything sofar. Yes, it looks like a more Darth Vader type of magic, but IMHO, the Force is with Apple

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2013, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I'm mad at McDonald's because the people in the commercials look way happier than I do.

When I took my iced coffee into a fountain... no attractive women came and splashed water on me... instead security just made me leave.
Security has no sense of humor.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2013, 06:50 PM

Mac_in_tosh: the people that swoon over every Apple announcement at keynotes before they even have a chance to process the information are idiot sheeps, and I find are best to annoy unless you like being annoyed.

I say just use what you think is the best for you and try to ignore the hype. Every company hypes up their stuff to some extent.

mac_in_tosh  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2013, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
The fact that the storage is PCI-based instead of SATA. The new philosophy that will make expension external instead of internal, thanks to Thunderbolt.
But having a rats nest of cables, peripherals and power cords surrounding the Mac Pro doesn't seem very attractive to me.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2013, 02:14 AM

If having faster modular storage doesn't seem attractive to you, you're probably not the target market.

Tiresias
Jun 15, 2013, 04:15 AM

I gotta agree with her on the new Mac Pro though.

It looks like a futuristic paper towel dispenser.

Forum Links
Forum Rules