Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What client do you use for instant messaging?

What client do you use for instant messaging? (Page 2)
WiggMuffin
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2004, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by SLeitheiser:
AOL

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 17, 2004, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by Stuphalina:
Proteus for ICQ, AIM, and MSN.
Yes, it has it's problems, but I hate having 3 open instant messaging apps open.
I used to ue fire but I prefer Proteus.
Really? I could never get Proteus to work right. Then on top of that, they wanted me to pay for it.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2004, 03:14 PM

proteus for icq,msn,yahoo,aim
and a seperate aim account for ichat + isight

i have never had a problem with proteus, i registered it about 10 minutes after i installed it. it has some amazing features that i love.

ul1984
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2004, 03:36 PM

Adium 2 for AIM and MSN

EmAn
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2004, 07:29 PM

AIM. Nothing else compares.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2004, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by EmAn:
AIM. Nothing else compares.
Except for maybe�complete crap.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Spliff
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2004, 08:31 PM

MSN only.

No one I know uses iChat. Almost all my Mac friends have gone to PCs because they're substantially cheaper. And they won't use AIM because the interface is such ugly shite compared to MSN messenger on the PC.

In fact, I think Microsoft has got a winner on its hands with MSN Messenger 6. My friend's can't stop talking about how cool it is.

Apple needs to make iChat compatible with MSN soon. The few friends I have with Macs are being bugged incessantly by their children to get a PC so they can use MSN 6 with their schoolmates. The Mac version doesn't support video or audio chat or little pictures.

Think about it: the kids want a PC for the sole reason of using MSN Messenger 6.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2004, 10:14 PM

i have all of 4 friends who use msn, while dozens of them are on aim. so i use ichat, and fire up msn messenger once in a blue moon to chat with the "outcasts"

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 18, 2004, 01:31 AM

iChat.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

deekay1
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2004, 10:05 AM

been trying audium 1.6 for the last couple of days and i kind of like it.

my ownly gripe is that the ui is not too x like. any skins available (aqua etc)?

how stable is audium 2.0?

hedonist, anarchist, agnostic, mac enthusiast and a strong believer in evolution and the yellow m&m conspiracy

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 18, 2004, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by Spliff:
Think about it: the kids want a PC for the sole reason of using MSN Messenger 6.
Some kids are retards too. MSN 6 is crap.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 18, 2004, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by mdc:
i have never had a problem with proteus, i registered it about 10 minutes after i installed it. it has some amazing features that i love.
Consider yourself lucky.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2004, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by deekay1:
been trying audium 1.6 for the last couple of days and i kind of like it.

my ownly gripe is that the ui is not too x like. any skins available (aqua etc)?
Adium 1.6 looked great before (during Jaguar and previously), but it looks pretty bad now, upgrade to 2.0.

how stable is audium 2.0?
That varies. After setting everything up, I rarely get crashes, but other people have had less luck. If it isn't usable with crashes for you, just wait awhile and try again later.

deekay1
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2004, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
That varies. After setting everything up, I rarely get crashes..
will i get to keep all my prefs from 1.6 when installing 2.0, or will i have to set up everything new?

hedonist, anarchist, agnostic, mac enthusiast and a strong believer in evolution and the yellow m&m conspiracy

brapper
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2004, 02:31 PM

alright i use fire sometimes (for icq, msn) but is it just my computer or does everyone's contact list not update names?
a lot of my contacts are MSN, which people often change their names on...but fire never updates so that I have to trash my contact list and then restart for it to update...
just wondering if it was just me...

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2004, 02:34 PM

will i get to keep all my prefs from 1.6 when installing 2.0, or will i have to set up everything new?
Just keep both on your computer, 2.0 doesn't overwrite anything, and it currently migrates all the logs over, and perhaps some of the old preferences. I'm not sure, I started using 2.0 very early on, when it was pretty lacking in features. I liked it, though, and never looked back.

deekay1
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2004, 03:03 PM

isn't there any way to get ichat to send "auto reply" messages when you're away from your desk??

willed
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2004, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by Spliff:
MSN only.

Apple needs to make iChat compatible with MSN soon. The few friends I have with Macs are being bugged incessantly by their children to get a PC so they can use MSN 6 with their schoolmates. The Mac version doesn't support video or audio chat or little pictures.

Yeah, but you've got to remember, according to Apple, the US is The Whole World.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2004, 09:46 PM

isn't there any way to get ichat to send "auto reply" messages when you're away from your desk??
I don't think so.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2004, 03:13 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Some kids are retards too. MSN 6 is crap.
Whether these kids are retards is beside the point. They're all future computer purchasers and their incessant nagging will likely have an influence on the type of computer their parents buy.

And it isn't just kids. Every single PC-owning friend I have uses MSN Messenger and they like it.

But I'm in Canada and we're an insignificant market. Canada still doesn't have the Music Store. Only the US uses AIM and that's what matters to Apple, I guess.

deekay1
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2004, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
I don't think so.
ooohh, looky here. tried it. worked fine! :-)

biscuit
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 19, 2004, 02:00 PM

For a long time I used Proteus, but updates virtually ceased almost the moment I registered! That seems to be changing now though, I look forward to a new release; it's a well made program.

At the moment I'm using the Adium 2.0 nightlys. I like it a lot, there is a huge amount of potential there. Actually I haven't used Proteus in almost a fortnight, ever since they made it multi-client...hadn't even noticed.

What I really want though, is someone to add support for multi-user chat on MSN. Whoever does that first gets my vote. Almost all my contacts are on MSN but I'm not actually sure how many people use AIM here, I'd guess not many. MS are pushing MSN 6 hard. They have ads on the tube and everything (Apple take note)!

biscuit

Forum Links
Forum Rules