Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 2 computers, a printer and a house

2 computers, a printer and a house
ussfolsom
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2000, 05:36 PM

I have a CSW 2400 wbich I want to use with two computers. I have a beige G3 now and am going to be getting a G4 shortly. How do I set it up so that I can use the printer with both computers. My other problem is that these two computers will be at opposite ends of my house. The beige G3 will be going into the family room once I get my G4. I suppose I will need to get a very long ethernet cable. In addition to printing I would use the ethernet cable to link the two computers together via appletalk, for file transfers.
I read the post below about the CSW 2400 and an ethertalk adapter or something along those lines. Does any of that apply to me? I am completely new to networking.
Is all of this more trouble than it is worth? Should I just get another printer? Thanks for your help.
Matt

shorton
Jan 28, 2000, 06:03 PM

Hi ussfolsom,
This summer I built my first network and it's not that difficult. There is an Apple extension called printer share that will allow you to share the 2400 over a network without any kind of adapter, as long as the computer that the printer is connected to is running and Appletalk is on.

I stongly suggest that you buy a hub. Small ones (especially if limited to 10BT speed) are cheap and then your network is easier to manage and expandible with ease. I built my own cables ( a bit of a learning curve here, but cheap and just the correct length ) and it works well with 3 Macs and one networkable printer and 2 old stylwriters via printer share.

Use the Mac OS setup assistant for the easiest way to be sure that both computers have a name and password for the network. Open the appletalk control panel, select "ethernet" as the port, and be sure that it's turned on. Depending on system software, there are several control panels and extensions that are necessary for it all to work, but they are usually installed by default so just be sure that you have them enabled. (Appletalk, file sharing, network, various extensions and libraries)

Apple's network browser is a good way to see if it's all working when you're done. Then you can set up your printer via the chooser.

Have fun.

ussfolsom  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2000, 11:18 AM

Thanks shorton. It doesn't seem quite as hard to do as I imagined it would be.
Matt

Forum Links
Forum Rules