Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OSX 10.4.4, a Powerbook, a server and my small brain

OSX 10.4.4, a Powerbook, a server and my small brain
chrisford
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2006, 04:41 PM

Hi all.

Reading the Apple site, I saw the following:
And if you connect and disconnect from servers frequently, Tiger will make your life a little easier. Tiger can maintain a persistent connection to file servers through sleep/wake cycles, even when your Mac is disconnected and reconnected to the network. You won’t have to reauthenticate to the server manually every time.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/mobility/
Now, I could be being dense, but am I understanding correctly if I think that I should be able to retain (remount?) a connection to a file server (in this case, a Windows box) via VPN, with a mounted drive share available even when I swap between wireless connections?

If so, why is it that my Powerbook will complain that the file server has been disconnected when I arrive home after a (cough) hard day at the office? Should it not auto-remount it rather than whinge that it's gone?

As usual, it's very possible I'm being dense... Thanks all in advance.

c

(As an aside, is there any client-side method of only showing a (user-definable) sub-set of shares available on a single VPN-connected file server?)

msuper69
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2006, 07:24 PM

I would bet that Apple-goodness only works within a LAN, not a connection across the Internet.

Kate
Senior User
Mar 1, 2006, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by chrisford
Hi all.

Reading the Apple site, I saw the following:
And if you connect and disconnect from servers frequently, Tiger will make your life a little easier. Tiger can maintain a persistent connection to file servers through sleep/wake cycles, even when your Mac is disconnected and reconnected to the network. You won’t have to reauthenticate to the server manually every time.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/mobility/
Now, I could be being dense, but am I understanding correctly if I think that I should be able to retain (remount?) a connection to a file server (in this case, a Windows box) via VPN, with a mounted drive share available even when I swap between wireless connections?

If so, why is it that my Powerbook will complain that the file server has been disconnected when I arrive home after a (cough) hard day at the office? Should it not auto-remount it rather than whinge that it's gone?

As usual, it's very possible I'm being dense... Thanks all in advance.

c

(As an aside, is there any client-side method of only showing a (user-definable) sub-set of shares available on a single VPN-connected file server?)
This feature cannot operate with VPN connections, as these depend on specific IPS and router settings, that obviously are changing when you are moving.

Forum Links
Forum Rules