Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac G5 will not boot.. I just wanna make music!!

Mac G5 will not boot.. I just wanna make music!!
Disengage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2006, 06:49 AM

Hello people, this is my first post and im praying that someone can help me out.

I have a mac G5 dual, which i boought about 2-3 yrs ago, I use it soley for music software (Logic , Ableton, etc) I love the mac to bits and have had no real probs with it in the time i've had it, which is lucky because i know next to nothing on the tech side of computers, i think its their apparent simplicity to use that attracted me in the first place

I was making some beats in ableton yesterday when all of a sudden a message covered the screen and the system froze !

It was in white text on a black background that said something along the lines of:

System failure: CPU=1 ; code: 00000001 (corrupt stack)

then loads of numbers here...........................
.................................................. .................
.................................................. .................

waiting for remote debugger connection

However im not sure it is a kernel panic as it does not state "Kernel panic" anywhere nor does it tell me i must restart my computer?? I just have to as the G5 starts to make an increasingly loud whirring noise

NOw it will not even boot up, it either gets as far as the log in screen (password prompt screen) or the white apple logo screen and this message flashes up and i cant use the mouse and have to manually shut the thing down again!!

Occasionally the message is slightly different in that it mentions "M-AUDIO firewire provider message e00000020" but only very rarely?

So annoying as i have a week off work to get on with things but , typical the mac breaks for the first time on my week off!!

I have done a bit of searching but as i say im not sure these are panics as such , all i know is i have not been able to get past the log in screen in over 80 attempts!!

As a total amatuer is there anyhting i could try? Ive read somewhere the airport card inside is sometimes a problem or the ram itself? is it straightforward to remove these items to eliminate them as the problem?

I have lots of music/samples etc on the computer, will that now be lost??

I dont have the apple test cd and i have no back up,for future reference do i need a seperate drive to make backups of my computer?

Thanks for any advice you can offer, it really is appreciated, I want to try all i can before i take it to an apple shop and shell out money i dont have.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 4, 2006, 10:40 AM

It seems to be either CPU 1 or an M-Audio device. Disconnect all external devices except the keyboard monitor and mouse and then try and power up.

Disengage  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2006, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by seanc
It seems to be either CPU 1 or an M-Audio device. Disconnect all external devices except the keyboard monitor and mouse and then try and power up.
Cheers Sean, just tried that, no joy!

I am using the mac now, in safe boot mode, however sometimes it wont even boot into safe mode, it comes up with the same message!

so frustrating!

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 4, 2006, 11:44 AM

I assume you either have an M-Audio device externally or internally on your machine. You could try removing the pci card if it wasn't an external one that you've already disconnected.

sonicularulus
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2006, 01:13 PM

i would say that when you get your computer up again...
even in safe mode...
keep it on and get your hands on an external hard drive asap to back up everything
and then try to fix it using any methods possible

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
May 5, 2006, 02:31 PM

Can you describe the configuration? Machine? Ram? Disk space?

Do you have any internal cards beyond the video card?

You may need to bring it to an authorized service center if removing
all third party devices fails.

Disengage  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2006, 02:17 PM

Hi people thanks for the replies, ITs been almost a month now and i still cant get my mac to boot up, i dont have the time or money at the moment to take it to be repaired, although it seems that i will have to at some point

I have tried all advice listed on the net including booting into safe mode (it wont even let me into safe mode most of the time!) , I have also reset Pram and tried fsck but still no joy

It is a dual G5 powermac , I bought it in 2003 (Nov), so therefore have no warranty.

How easy is it to take out RAM to eliminate that as the problem?

So frustrating

pls help if you can

chrisford
Forum Regular
May 20, 2006, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Leeroy79
How easy is it to take out RAM to eliminate that as the problem?
Hi Leeroy79 -

Sorry to hear about your Mac. Firstly, removing the ram is very simple - a novice like me can do it. Just use a firm, steady force to remove the chips and store them away from anything static-y (carpets, fabric, excitable kittens).

Remove all the chips apart from one and try the mac - if the problem remains, you can try removing any of the Expansion cards you have installed. Same procedure here.

The best of luck.

cf

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 20, 2006, 07:03 PM

I think the G5 needs the ram paired, so take the chips out a pair at a time.

Disengage  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2006, 08:31 AM

thanks Chris , Sean..

There is only two sticks of ram in there, its literally as i bought it back in 2003, I have not installed any expansion cards or anything new at all since i bought it from the shop!

Both sticks are 256 mb, i have tried removing one at a time and then both, but on restart the mac makes a really loud noise and the screen now stays totally blank! there is also a red light on the front of the g5!!

Im sure this is to do with the air deflector shiled but that seems to be in place???

any ideas, as i say ie tried everything, opeing in firmware, resetting pram, sometimes it wont even let me in in safe boot, that poxy "corrupt stack" message covers the screen and the mac freezes.

so annoying!

Disengage  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2006, 08:57 AM

Right im sure the problem is with the air deflector shield as when i boot up the computer and pull the shield slightly away the red light goes off and the fans return to normal , which allows the mac to load up properly (well until it gets to the corrupt stack error message that is!, However as soon as i get the deflector shield almost back in place the red lights come back on and the fans start going crazy, i think its just a bit of fiddling with the shield that is needed to sort out the red light problem, that is a minor worry compared to the original problem (corrupt stack, memory access , system failure cpu-1)

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 21, 2006, 09:00 AM

Can you run the apple hardware test to see if it identifies the problem? It should be on your restore cds that came with the mac.

Disengage  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2006, 09:34 AM

Hi Sean, no unfortunately i no longer have the test cd, lost in a house move along with countless other bits and bobs!!

I might have to speak to my local apple store see if they can provide a new test cd!

cheers Sean

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 21, 2006, 11:18 AM

What devices do you have hooked up to your computer?

Disengage  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2006, 12:47 PM

Hi sean, I have just the standard keyboard and mouse, M-audio firewire souind console with mackie speakers and a midi keyboard (usb) and thats it!

I have not installed anything at all since purchasing it, there is literally two sticks of ram in there (256 mb) as standard.

Unfortuantely i know very little on the tech side of pc's/macs.

I have tried everything i can find on the net so far including doing all the various resets and loading up in safe boot, but still the corrupt stack message appears, Its almost always the same message , very occasionally it mentions the m-audio firewire in the error message, but only very rarely.

I have tried removing everything that is plugged in apart from the monitor/keyboard but no joy.

Cheers Sean

chrisford
Forum Regular
May 21, 2006, 02:00 PM

Hi Sean -

Sorry to hear that it's still causing problems. I'd advise that you get the machine in front of a certified tech - it sounds as tho' the problem is somewhat serious, and certainly irritating for you.

Be careful of removing the plastic air flow sheet - I'd recommend against trying to power the machine with that removed.

If you find a friendly tech, they might be happy to give the machine a once-over before you have to commit to paying for any repairs.

Good luck.

cf

Peter753
Forum Regular
May 21, 2006, 06:23 PM

The G5's need ram in parody meaning you have to have ram in it in identical pairs. Since you only have those two sticks I guess there isn't really a whole lot you can do towards eliminating that as a problem as even if your ram were fine it couldn't boot properly with just one stick.

Disengage  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2006, 08:40 AM

Thanks Peter, yeah i guessed that , until i get more ram i wont be able to eliminate the existing ram as the problem..

Im actually using the mac now to type this message! I managed to get in (after 50+ attempts)

I went into utilities and selected "Power Mac G5 Firmware Updater 5.1.4" , I let it do its thing, it restarted and works fine now??? So odd, because i honestly had no idea what it would do or what its for i just thought f*** it, and tried it and it seems to have worked... for now! Still gonna take it to my local apple shop though.

I am having to use the mac with the side panel slightly open as the red light now comes on and teh fans start going mental, when i try to shut the side panel the light comes on and it sounds like its about to take off! I think i may also need to replace the sensor label on the air deflector shield.

Will i damage my mac by using it with the side panel slightly open??

Thanks agai Chrisford, Seanc and peter, I appreciate your help.

chrisford
Forum Regular
May 22, 2006, 12:44 PM

Hi Sean -

I'm no expert in this at all, but I've heard dire warnings about running with the case open - I think you're absolutely correct when you say you'll take it to your Mac dealership - better safe than sorry, especially if you've got a lot of your own music on there: it would be a real shame to lose it thro' hardware failure.

Good luck!

cf

Forum Links
Forum Rules